Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mission possible: Quest to become keto adapted page 2

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Woke up today feeling SO MUCH BETTER!!! I got some really good sleep last night finally, and my stomach is feeling much better. I think it's was a tummy bug.

I have realized the importance of making sure to get plenty of water and electrolytes while being in ketosis. It's the difference between feeling great and feeling like shit. Yesterday I woke up dehydrated and feeling utterly hung over. It was horrible. This morning I woke up feeling amazing.

Cravings for carbs/sugar are pretty much gone. When I see carbs are sugar, I still think to myself that it looks or smells good. But I no longer crave to have it. I can leave it without feeling deprived or upset about it. This ketosis is pretty amazing.
    I'm very excited to see what the next few weeks is going to feel like for me as I become better adapted to using ketones. I fasted most of the day yesterday which makes me think, maybe I can do 24hr fasts if I want to without incident. Maybe I will throw one in next week and see how it goes. I was avoiding them because of the fear that it would drive me to binge. But maybe that won't happen anymore. We shall see!

I really want to take some time today to meditate and work on opening my chakras. I meant to do it several days ago but haven't really had the chance. That's my goal for today, get some meditative work in.
    It's important to get enough salt. I drink two mugs a day of beef bouillon. If I don't have my broth, I can feel dehydrated and unwell or could fall into a headache. I always feel great when in ketosis and now I can pretty much fall into it easily and quickly. Watch how much protein you are taking in --- to much protein will prevent you from going into ketosis and the fastest way to get into ketosis is to increase those fats substantially. Anyway, don't forget the salt -- it's critical.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    It's important to get enough salt. I drink two mugs a day of beef bouillon. If I don't have my broth, I can feel dehydrated and unwell or could fall into a headache. I always feel great when in ketosis and now I can pretty much fall into it easily and quickly. Watch how much protein you are taking in --- to much protein will prevent you from going into ketosis and the fastest way to get into ketosis is to increase those fats substantially. Anyway, don't forget the salt -- it's critical.
    Yes I totally agree, the salt is EXTREMELY important. Could be the reason why a lot of folks don't feel well when in ketosis. If you don't have your salt intake for the day, it makes you feel pretty crappy.

I was initially eating too much protein I think. Now I just listen to my body. If I'm craving meat, then I have some, but I'm definately not keeping track and trying to hit a certain protein mark anymore. I think that might be why it took me so many days to get into ketosis in the first place.
    Last edited by MarissaLinnea; 11-24-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Alrighty, woke up feeling even better this morning. I'm just praying that today I can eat normally without any pain.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Alrighty, woke up feeling even better this morning. I'm just praying that today I can eat normally without any pain.
    Have a great keto-day. Let us know how you make out.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    Hello there!
    I have a little question, Im pretty new at this: how does a 30g per day carb day look like?
    Thanks and keep going strong!
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Have a great keto-day. Let us know how you make out.
    Thanks so much!! About to post an update for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by U2sandrah View Post
    Hello there!
    I have a little question, Im pretty new at this: how does a 30g per day carb day look like?
    Thanks and keep going strong!
    Well, I think the easiest way to figure out carbs in foods is to track your foods with an online calorie tracker when you are first starting out. That's what I did. After awhile you get the feel of what veggies are higher carb, what's lower carb and then you can kinda just wing it. I started this keto experiement tracking calories for the first three days or so, but it was getting too stressful so I stopped. But for the purposes of starting out it's good to figure out how many carbs you are eating (I tracked a lot when I first went Primal in April so I could get a feel of how many carbs/fats/protein and calories I was actually eating).

Since I don't track my macros anymore, it's hard for me to tell you what 30g of carbs a day would be. I don't think I even get close to eating 30g of carbs a day now.

So today was a really good eating day, my stomach is all better now thank goodness! I'm pretty low carb.....like, a lot low carb. Having maybe a serving or two of low carb veggie in my meals, but that's about it. I hope I'm getting enough, but I find that I simply don't have the appetite to eat a plate loaded with veggies anymore like I used to. I have really upped my fat intake a lot. I'm still feeling some lingering carb flu symptoms but overall I'm feeling really good. Energy is definately more level and I have noticed that I have a really hard time taking a nap now. Like, I have too much energy in the afternoon to nap anymore. But I have been sleeping really well the last couple nights, love it! Also, my moods have been much more even keel, I have a lot more patience with my kids especially and those are really big for me. That's some of the biggest reasons why I wanted to do this in the first place, so I'm really excited that it's actually working. Looking forward to getting the next week under my belt to see how I'm feeling.

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much!! About to post an update for the day.

Well, I think the easiest way to figure out carbs in foods is to track your foods with an online calorie tracker when you are first starting out. That's what I did. After awhile you get the feel of what veggies are higher carb, what's lower carb and then you can kinda just wing it. I started this keto experiement tracking calories for the first three days or so, but it was getting too stressful so I stopped. But for the purposes of starting out it's good to figure out how many carbs you are eating (I tracked a lot when I first went Primal in April so I could get a feel of how many carbs/fats/protein and calories I was actually eating).

Since I don't track my macros anymore, it's hard for me to tell you what 30g of carbs a day would be. I don't think I even get close to eating 30g of carbs a day now.
    Thanks for the reply! I have been using Myfitnesspal for a few weeks and I cannot seem to get under the 100g carb per day mark. Ill keep on trying!
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Quote Originally Posted by U2sandrah View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I have been using Myfitnesspal for a few weeks and I cannot seem to get under the 100g carb per day mark. Ill keep on trying!
    That's probably because you are going by total carbs rather than net carbs. When counting carbs, you can subtract fiber carbs from your carb total. Fiber does not affect insulin levels and therefore does not have to be included when counting carbs.

PrimalCon New York
    So today has been a good day, but I have noticed that I have been having cravings for sugar/carbs a bit this evening. Wonder what that's about...

Note to self: A whole Lindt 90% chocolate bar does not knock me out of ketosis.
    Last edited by MarissaLinnea; 11-27-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast