Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too much protein? Help with ratios! page

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member

too much protein? Help with ratios!

Hi,

So after doing a metabolic typing questionairre from Willcott's book I found I was a protein type with recommends 40-30-30 and I switched two weeks ago and started to feel better. Then my nutritionist said in a month, afetr checking my metabolism, we could try a protein spirilin (sp) which sounds essentially like the Priml Blueprints ketosis stage.

So right now I am worried I am eating too many grams of protein after researching and reading on the primal blueprint. My goal is to (finally) lose the extra body fat and gain back my lean mass that despite rigorous training and tight daily caloric restrcition (500 cals less) only gained and possibly got me an autoimmune disease to boot.

Currently my stats on my online diary are:

135-150 g protein
    50-60 g carbs
    75-90 g fat

I am a 5'7" female and as far as I know my lean mass is currently around 105 as I lost a lot over the years of following conventional high, whole grain wisdom even with adequate protein but low fat for 10 years with my training (I swam competitively, weight lifted, and did triathlons unless my body shut down last year)

Can someone please help me with this? i don't want to wait a month to get the metabolic testing done to adjust diet as this feels like the right way to eat for me and I want to start seeing a difference.

Thanks!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    What are those ratios? 50% protein / 30% fat /20% carbs? How many calories a day are you eating? On first glance, yes - seems like too much protein for fat loss.

What sort of workout are you doing?

Have you lost any weight since switching to a higher protein diet?

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    No the ratios are 50/35/15 f/p/c.

If you are looking to gain LBM then that amount of protein should be enough.

In no way will that amount of protein impede fat loss. Weight loss yes but fat loss no.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. So I lost 1 # fat (my nutritionist has been using the same impedence measurement (she attaches electrodes) for 2 years so its a consistent method) the first week but my water weight went up and lean mass stayed same. I do not weigh myself in between as I am going for lean mass gain AND fat loss so fit of clothing. As I am recovering from an autoimmune disease i still do not have a lot of energy or tolerance for exercise. So i walk 3-4 days a week 45-60 min with push ups and core for 15 min, and do yoga 3 days a week for 90 min a mixture of slow flow and more rigorous hatha (holding longer/more challenging)

Danger_Dave is offline Junior Member
    So you say you are a 5'7" female with a lean muscle mass of about 105. I dont know much about metabolic typing. But, as I recall, Mark has suggested a protein intake of 1g to 1pound lean muscle ratio. Protein You are exceeding that by about 30g to 50g. And if I am not mistaken the extra protein will just be converted into glucose and that kind of defeats the purpose. Are you eating Primal? It looks like you need more fat. I never go below 100g a day. I may be wrong but it sounds like you are at a crossroads as to what you should be doing. All I can tell you is of my own experience. I felt 10X better after committing to Primal eating. The key is to eat when you are hungry, never force yourself to reach arbitrary calorie goals. (That 500 cal diet looked deadly!) Your body will naturaly start fasting after a few weeks eating primal, its really cool. Eat organic foods. Clean protein, fresh green vegetables, some fruits and load up on saturated animal fat. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks after switching my eating habits and I can see my abs again! I have stayed at my present body weight for a few months and am now looking to add muscle mass by increasing my calorie/protein intake. You should also make sure your omega ratio is balanced as well (pick up some fish oil pills if you haven't already) Inflammation is another big part of this diet. and I must say because of the impression I get from you, Its OK to eat, as long as its healthy unprocessed food! I hope you reach your goals and am looking forward to seeing how it goes.
    Itís the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. Itís seeing all those sunsets that does it. You canít watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighborís tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Actually Mark suggested in that article you linked that you consume 1g per pound of total body weight. So for the OP probably around the amount she posted. I am not sure why everybody is so afraid of protein. If you want muscles you gotta eat what muscles are made of.

Danger_Dave is offline Junior Member
    Well, I should really keep an eye on what he is posting because that is controdictory to what he posted here Protein Regardless, a 5'7" female that is trying to GET lean and maintain body weight shouldn't be eating more than 120g of protein IMO. I dont get the impressing that she is trying to add muscle mass. and she said she has to take it easy because of her autoimmune disease. If she was lifting on a regular basis then I dont think the extra protein would be a problem. In her case, I just think its unnecessary. She is on the right track, I mean I get the impression that she weighs around 120 pounds and is trying to get rid of stubborn body fat. By ALL calculations 130g-150g of protein is just excessive. There is a lot of different opinions on protein (apparently even by Mark) but, the consensus is a high protein diet isn't going to hurt you and in most cases, of high athletic activity, will actually help. But, you can reach a point where its just unnecessary. I think she is eating unnecessary amounts of protein for her situation. Just my opinion, I would like to know more about her specific numbers.

*In the comments of the link I posted Mark says "yes, most of the extra protein will convert to glucose, so there’s no need to exceed the 1/lb."
    Last edited by Danger_Dave; 04-13-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    Itís the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. Itís seeing all those sunsets that does it. You canít watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighborís tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.

I agree Dave. Because Mark eats his bodyweight in protein, doesn't mean everyone should. That man is a machine and is probably getting in some good "play" on a daily basis; probably much more than the average PBer with much less muscle mass.

I don't know how much you have to lose but I'd say that at your activity level, you'll have more success losing the fat (and retaining muscle) on a higher fat / moderate protein diet. When you're able to, incorporate some lifting / resistance work and you can increase your protein levels.

Ok, so a bit more information would probably be beneficial. I am 5'7" and unfortunately 170 #- although I could never be 120# as that would look quite horrendous/sickly with my body type but 145/150 would be nice. Really, the number doesn't matter but the way i feel and look in my clothes does! For some reason, despite my best efforts to consistently eat 500 calories less than I expend (not just 500 calories) for over 5 years I have no lost weight. I continued to lose lean mass and gain fat weight even though I was training for triathlons and exercising/lifting a lot (too much but i monitered calories with my nutritionist so should not have been too detrimental). I have been eating organic, free-range, grass-fed etc. for three years, avoid sugar, dropped caffeine a year go except for one cup of green tea, and do not drink alcohool ( i developed a bad bodily reaction to it). I have literally tried everything EXCEPT the primal/protein type diet. I was on swarzbein last spring until now which was 80-90 g protein, 115-120 g crb and fill in rest with fat and have been eating 1550-1800 calories a day and lost nothing. Needless to say, I am frustrated.

So, it definitely seems like when I made the move to lower carbs that i may have upped protein too much. Although I calculated it out, and with 135 g protein, 85 g fat, and 55 g carbs that is 36% P/53% F/ 14% Carb. This seems like an okay ratio with having about 50% come from fat but I do not want to store extra protein as fat! So should I go down on protein and up in fat making the fat % even higher? I really want to buidl back my lost lean mass (am doing push-ups/core/and body weight work) and lose this extra fat!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's the way to do it. No mid-level hour-long cardio sessions (keep it slow / sprint). Increase your fats (I would go to 65%), decrease your protein (35% - which is MORE than enough) and your carbs (10%). Also - I'd throw in an IF a week. I've found that to really help reset the chronic cardio / carb habit we pick up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast