Thread: BulletProof Coffee question page

Karock is offline Member

BulletProof Coffee question

Primal Fuel
    So I've tried bulletproof coffee a few times lately, expecting to be wowed at my ability to make it to lunch without being concerned that my dog and cat's lives were in jeopardy.
    But, nothing.. have a coffee w/ kerrygold in it, about half hour later I'm ready for some food, which is pretty much my normal schedule. So today I supplemented it with this: (gratuitous food shot)

(Two eggs, some GF Gnd beef, 3 small squares of havarti and some habenaro salsa)

So, back to the question, whats the deal? Am I doing it wrong? I've only been on the primal schedule for about a month, am I expecting too much too soon?

Thanks!

floaton is offline Junior Member
    I have bulletproof coffee every morning. It feels like a special treat to look forward to every morning. For me it definitely acts as a hunger suppressant. I have a breakfast of bacon and eggs as well pretty much every morning, so I have plenty of fat and protein in the morning to keep me full.

One of the nuance's to primal eating, for me personally anyway, is really learning to feel the subtle differences in how your diet effects mood, satiation levels and overall effects of your diet on your body. My diet previously to eating primal was very much a SAD one.

It definitely took me longer than a month, more like 6 months to begin trusting my instincts and objectionably be honest about my lifestyle and dietary habits while being strictly primal .

With that being said though we are all quite different in our primal journey, if you feel like your hungry I would eat more primal food.

One final though, How much butter and MCT oil are you using in your coffee? Do you typically have breakfast with your coffee in the morning?

I typically put 1-2 TBLS of Kellygold unsalted and 2-3 TBLS of MCT oil in 16 ounces or so of coffee.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating real, nutritious whole foods for breakfast instead of drinking butter, an isolated fat with little nutrition and lots of calories, you're doing it right.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by floaton View Post
    I have bulletproof coffee every morning. It feels like a special treat to look forward to every morning. For me it definitely acts as a hunger suppressant. I have a breakfast of bacon and eggs as well pretty much every morning, so I have plenty of fat and protein in the morning to keep me full. (...) I typically put 1-2 TBLS of Kellygold unsalted and 2-3 TBLS of MCT oil in 16 ounces or so of coffee.
    Very efficient hunger suppressant indeed, Let the good times Roll...

Karock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    If you're eating real, nutritious whole foods for breakfast instead of drinking butter, an isolated fat with little nutrition and lots of calories, you're doing it right.
    You know, I like that. Actually eating real food instead of a diet hack. Besides, that omlette was awesome.
    I was just giving it a spin to see what it was all about, to no effect other than more cals from butter.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Here I was thinking bulletproof coffee was a brand.

Karock is offline Member
    I think its become something like 'kleenex', both a brand and an idea.

Zak
    Zak is offline Junior Member
    I had a similar experience Karock. Initially it didn't seem to affect my appetite too greatly. I wanted to do the intermittent fasting that is recommended on the bulletproof exec site. It was harder for me not to eat after 8 p.m. since I was used to not eating much in the morning anyways. But I have to say, I stuck with it and after about a week I really got into a groove.

I have been doing it 5 days a week for over a month now, and I have lost 13 lbs! I am now blogging about my experience if you are interested check out my blog here: My Experience with Bulletproof Coffee (Review) Bulletproof Coffee and Bullet Proof Diet Review

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would agree that it takes time, like anything, to develop the habit and let your metabloism adapt.
    Another I noted in your original post is that you were only using Kerrygold. If you can add in MCT oil (thats per Asprey's recipe), or I use coconut oil, that may help. Also, you may have to play around with the amounts of butter/oil and other things. When I immersion blend butter, oil, raw cacao powder and cinnamon in french press coffee the result is heavenly.