Thread: Pre- and post-workout food page

HERC0 is offline Member

Pre- and post-workout food

Primal Fuel
    My routine since becoming primal is to only eat two meals a day - lunch and dinner. I find that this works really well for me, but it leaves me stuck for what to do when I go to the gym to lift weights in the morning before work (at least 2-3 times a week).

Is it right that it's good to eat some protein before a weight-lifting workout to help you perform better? And if so how much?

I have no doubt that I need to eat protein after the workout for recovery, but again how much? These pre- and post-workout meals will be in addition to my two main meals of lunch and dinner, so I don't want to overdo it as I really like this routine.

Thanks

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your priorities are getting on with your life, not trying to systematically increase your peck size or set world records on the squats.... so I'd say you probably have the right attitude. OTOH, nothing wrong with people who have specific goals in the gym. If your routine is solid and you're happy with what you're doing but you're still a little concerned with "fueling" correctly, maybe look into some BCAAs to take just pre-workout. This will prevent muscle breakdown during your workout. BCAAs have a different energy pathway and are generally considered "muscle sparing". This way in your "fasted state" early morning workout... you're not really fasted and won't have to worry about losing ground. Checkout the Leangains site for some example eating/workout schedules and some pretty good explanations on the BCAA/fasted workout concepts.
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Darz is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to eat anything before or after a workout - just do what makes you feel good - in terms of body composition it won't matter whether you eat or not pre or post workout, what you eat in the long run is far more important.

drnemer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HERC0 View Post
    My routine since becoming primal is to only eat two meals a day - lunch and dinner. I find that this works really well for me, but it leaves me stuck for what to do when I go to the gym to lift weights in the morning before work (at least 2-3 times a week).

Is it right that it's good to eat some protein before a weight-lifting workout to help you perform better? And if so how much?

I have no doubt that I need to eat protein after the workout for recovery, but again how much? These pre- and post-workout meals will be in addition to my two main meals of lunch and dinner, so I don't want to overdo it as I really like this routine.

Thanks
    No need for pre workout fueling. GO in fasted. Check out LeanGains to learn more. I go in fasted every day. I eat first meal at 12, and workout at 4 then i have a two part dinner. a protein shake, then real dinner.

however twice a week, tuesday and saturday I wake up first thing and workout then eat. I prefer the morning because it is energizing to wake up with exercise. I don't think you necessarily need to worry too much about protein.

Also check out BCAAs:
    Poliquin Blog - Tip 424:Use BCAAs for Less Soreness and Greater Work Capacity
    The Benefits of BCAAs | Poliquin Article
    The Benefits of BCAAs: 10 Quick Tips and Detailed Research | Poliquin Article

- I recommend Scivation Xtend. It is really well priced and highly well reviewed. It is 0 calories, carbs, sugars. But really good intraworkout drink. I also drink it for breakfast at times if i am fasting if i am not in the mood for tea.