Thread: what's the low down on the omega 3:6 ratio? page

claire is offline Junior Member

what's the low down on the omega 3:6 ratio?

Hi guys,

I was hoping some of you might be able to give me an idea of how you balance the omega 3:6 ratio?

This is the only part of the PB that I still don't feel like I 'get' after reading the book, and as much as I can find on MDA and this forum.

I am fairly certain I don't have the balance, because I rarely eat fish or take fish oil supplements (although I plan to rectify that once I get my head around what I actually NEED)...

I'm only just starting out eating primally and am also a fairly inexperienced cook, so my primal diet so far is more at the no grains, minimal processed food and sugar, stage, so I know I can improve, but this omega ratio thing is stressing me a bit...

Just FYI - 22 y.o. 5'3, 51kg (21% b.f.), so I don't have particularly way-out-in-the-future goals, I just want to lean up a little more but more or less just be healthy. A typical day for me food-wise would be:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with lots of butter (either normal butter or avocado oil butter), and full fat milk, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: Minced beef (probably 100g but I've never measured) with lots of veggies (capsicum, carrot, broccoli, zucchini) in a tomato paste, with a large side of leaves (spinach and rocket) and 1/2 avocado

Dinner (if I'm hungry, which I'm more often than not, not): Small serve of chicken curry, same veggies as above).

Snacks: a banana or an apple or a low carb (8g) hot chocolate

How do you guys monitor your ratio? I just have NO IDEA where you start cos most food labels don't seem to have that information? Any insight or help would be much appreciated It'd be great if there were ideas that weren't 'eat salmon' cos I really don't like it but if that's the only option I could maybe handle it once a week... (lame, I know...)

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I am not sure many people here monitor the gram to gram amount they take. They minimize foods high in omega-6s, and supplement with omega-3s. That's really the best option without getting unrealistic.

I recommend much higher doses of EPA/DHA, at-least 2 grams (I take 4-5) a day. That means the MG EPA/DHA in the supplement should add up to at-least 2 grams in the amount you would take in a day. And if you really want to get extreme (It's not necessary at all), males should take ones higher in DHA because of their lower bodily amounts/ higher risk for heart disease.

Your ratio will even out, not to mention you're doing much better then CW because even though PB is higher in fat, it's also much higher in saturated fats and monounsaturated versus polyunsaturated which dominates CW (and that's where OMEGA 6/3 Lay).

As far as salmon goes, I don't really eat sea food besides the occasional dinner outing because most of it is so toxic and contaminated nowadays. There's no point in eating salmon for omega-3s if you're getting a hefty dose of inflammatory chemicals and additives with it.

If you're going to eat salmon, I really do recommend you get a high quality organic type.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Hmmm okay, thanks EGY! So what I take from what you say is that if I'm eating PB then I probably am not eating really high amounts of omega 6, and a supplement should help with the ratio?

strom is offline Senior Member
    I believe the ratio is 1:1 according to Toxic Fat by Barry Sears. If you go to far with the omega 6's like 30:1 you will get silent inflammation. This causes a lot of damage over a period of time and I believe has a link to Syndrome X.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Basically if you're eating PB you're already avoiding many causes of inflammation such as sugar, processed foods, additives, all the pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and so on..

On top of that you're not eating unstable polyunsaturated fats that oxidize and cause inflammation, and you're not getting as much omega-6.

Plus you're supplementing with omega 3.

You're fine is what im saying (in the most appropriate way possible) haha.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great, thanks