Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discouraged and thinking of trying HA2CG diet page 3

denisedb is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks so much, everyone, for all the responses and words of advice.

Here's my story:
    Twelve years ago, at 28, I came down with a serious, debilitating, and undiagnosable autoimmune disease which at first was believed to be MS but then was proven not to be. I had to beat it myself because, since undiagnosable, it was 'untreatable' with regular western meds, a real blessing in disguise. I was already naturally a size 4 (I am small-boned) but then only 5'3". I was very sick, almost in a wheel chair, so took drastic measures: moved to the country, cut out absolutely all sugar and carbs for two years (Body Ecology Diet but with more fat), and did some healthy (not homeopathic) natural remedies. I dropped to a size 0, probably too thin for me, and was really too weak to exercise much til the end of that two year period, but had healed about 95%.

Then I got married and pregnant within about 9 months. During that pregnancy I had to eat almost constantly to avoid dry heaving and gained 70lbs.

I have never been able to get all that weight off since then EXCEPT when I was nursing my second child, who was very sensitive so I was off dairy, sugar, and almost all carbs. The weight flew off, although I felt like I was going to faint most of the time. Once I weaned him, bang. 30 lbs right back on.

I had more autoimmune symptoms come back (not sleeping for almost 8 years with my two kids did not help!), but finally had some important surgery and my symptoms got better.

THEN, finally, two weeks ago!, I had surgery on the deviated septum I've had since I don't know when. For months before this I could not exercise without getting dizzy and having to stop. For the last four nights I have slept better than I have in...decades? I think I have been oxygen-deprived and now I am literally breathing easier.

My youngest is also finally starting to sleep through the night so -- joy! Things are looking brighter.

So what didn't work for me before about Primal living? Sleep. I was so horribly over exhausted from bad sleep that I'd have long stretches where I'd turn to sugar to just get me through. Then I'd get discouraged. Then it would take longer to get back on the Primal bus. I've also got a husband who's gone back to school, done very well, but we've had financial stresses to go along with that. I'm sure these are probably minor league worries compared to many! I don't want to complain. But no, I have not made it the full 30 days straight yet. Almost, but then the sleep thing got in the way.

So now that sleep is happening, maybe it's time to try Primal once again. I just thought doing a shorter round of the HCG thing would give me a nice boost; and btw, it's supposed to make you lose the unnecessary fat and not muscle, so they say. I have an old friend coming to visit next month with his family and I tell you I cannot face seeing him when I look like this (Leida's far left picture but with more belly -- I'm telling you, I'm small-boned) and I used to be like her picture on the far right for most of my life. I am 5'6" now -- I've grown 3" in the last twelve years, nothing odd happening hormonally, been thoroughly tested -- so it's nice that I've got more 'length', but with so much more 'girth', it doesn't really make much difference.

Has anybody heard about trying the HA2CG drops with a low calorie diet with the fat? More like, Primal lite? I know I sound desperate here, and I know it sounds vain. I'm just discouraged. Thanks all for your thoughts.
    Last edited by denisedb; 11-26-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denisedb View Post
    Hi all,

A wonderful integrative MD I've seen recently suggested this new HA2CG diet -- it's a VERY low calorie and NO FAT diet. Yeah, I know. It is done in tandem with homeopathic drops that somehow mimic a pregnancy hormone (I'm no nutritionist or MD and the explanation sounded very convincing).
    Go for it!
    Jump! Jump! Jump!
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

denisedb is offline Member
    Wow, you're the first person in support of it! You don't think the no fat thing is flat out bad? Thanks for your post.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I believe every cell in the body needs fat.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yep, cholesterol is so important for cell structure. You can try it but as I and others have mentioned, there's no need. You look healthy. I'd work more on muscle definition than on losing weight. You can give this diet a try but I guarantee you that eating no fat will make you feel like crap, and all the obsessing over fat content will make you overanalyze your food like you wouldn't believe. It's not a fun way to live.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    From one attention-whoring chick to the next...

What is it with you women?

Leida, if you're still trying to lose weight and those photos are accurate, you're just pursuing your eating disorder du jour via primal.
    that's not called for at all
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Making your body suffer from a lack of nutrition just to lose weight sounds terribly dangerous to me. Personally, I don't care how convincing the doctor is. I know the truth of it: your body needs fuel, even during weight loss. That doesn't sound like it provides much/any.

So the reason why Primal didn't work for you is sleep problems? There are plenty of people here who could probably help out with that. Maybe it is something you are eating, or not eating, or a ratio that needs to change. It's also possible you've got something else going on, like a nutritional or hormonal imbalance, but sometimes symptoms and a food chart (once you've been Primal for at least a couple of weeks) can help to figure out the discrepancies.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Well if I understand the diet correctly, basically what happens is people use the hormone and eat no fat (there's some technical science stuff behind it which I can't remember), which then forces the body to use it's own fat while still preserving muscle mass, which is where the eating no fat and only 500 calories comes in. I guess in theory the diet could work, but I would strongly caution against putting a synthetic hormone into your body just for the sake of trying to lose weight. It's not natural or healthy, and you have no idea what the long term effect could be of doing something like this to your body. That and I actually did some reading about it and have heard a lot of bad things about it.

I really think you need to give a hard buy into Primal again for three months or so, focus on getting good sleep and enough fat, but also make sure that you are not overeating in calories. Also, lifting heavy things and doing sprints WORKS WONDERS. I have finally started losing inches again after months and months of doing chronic cardio, having a thyroid issue, and gaining 20 lbs. I'm taking a natural supplement to support my thryoid, and I stopped the chronic cardio and really have buckled down on my eating. I started lifting heavy three times a week, and boom, I'm losing inches now. Believe me, I know where you are coming from. I know how discouraging it is to feel like you have tried everything and nothing is working. I was stuck there for months. On top of the fact that my docs wouldn't really help me because my thyroid wasn't technically "out of range" by the lab standard, but I knew my numbers were not right FOR ME. I kept pushing my doc and he finally directed me toward a supplement to help.

I think your doc should give you a thorough physical with blood work just to make sure everything is working properly. And I think you should really buy into the principles in the Primal Blue Print (all of them) before you decide that the diet is not going to work for you. A lot of people only do the eating aspect of the diet (as I did in the beginning) and don't have success with it and throw in the towel. Mark knows what he's talking about. Of course I'm no doctor, just speaking from my personal experiences with it over the last seven months.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denisedb View Post
    Wow, you're the first person in support of it! You don't think the no fat thing is flat out bad? Thanks for your post.
    Obviously you did not get the tone behind the comment.
    "Jump! Jump! Jump!" as in - it's your suicide.
    This is a primal/paleo forum, we support natural and whole foods.
    Although there are no stupid questions, it is foolish to ask that kind of question in this kind of forum.
    Many people here shed countless pounds just by eating real food. You should try that before you go to "miracle drugs".
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    What I don't understand is why you would want to make yourself miserable like that...not to mention, hungry? That's what a diet without fat will make you, in my humble opinion. Yes, you may lose some weight, but the lack of fat, misery and hunger will give you massive cravings so as soon as you start to eat 'normally' again the chances are you'll overdo the things you've not been allowed on the diet and end up right back where you are now.

If primal isn't working for you, there's something that you're not doing right - for you! Tweak and test, tweak and test. I've been doing it for over a year and have only just stumbled upon the formula that seems to be working for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast