Thread: Hiya from the fence! page

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member

Hiya from the fence!

Primal Fuel
    So... I'm living the all-too-common 21st century story. Sedentary job, sedentary life, and a whole bunch of bad habits learned from an early age. 5 years ago I weighed 230lbs. 5 weeks ago that was 280. A lot of that came after a reasonably serious injury (broken ribs plus...it zeroed a lot of my physical activity for several months and set a bad pattern in motion) but that is hardly a comfort.

I recently decided to do something about it. I've actually been hitting the gym 3+ days a week for the past 7 weeks, mostly free weights or body weight (lunges, etc), plus stretching, a bit of treadmill (10 minutes to warm up or cool down, depending on mood), and punching. It has made a real improvement (resting heart rate lower, greater capacity for exercise, etc)....which is what brings me here. Since the 24/7 DOMS pain is mostly gone I've started looking for ways to expand my physical activity. Plus I probably have some spare willpower for diet changes. I've been doing research, looking for forums, looking for info, and several people have directed me here.

Since I love vegetables (have since childhood), and seafood, and meat, and when I was at my most fit I regularly walked 10-20 miles in a day and could run a fast 100 meters but I don't think I have ever run a continuous mile, I'm somewhat predisposed to liking many ideas put forth around here. Since I dislike noticeable fat in my food (as in a fatty piece of meat can cause me to gag or in extreme cases vomit and a 1l bottle of extra virgin olive oil is all the oil I usually buy in a year or two), and I like a nice dark rye bread, I'm not sure about parts. The big challenges I see are more humdrum practical, like how do you store quantities of vegetables so you aren't constantly going to the grocery store? A few years ago I made a crock of sauerkraut that kept nicely but that isn't exactly "colorful vegetables".

Anyway...hello everyone!

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    If fat in meat does not work for you don't eat it.
    I would suggest adding some coconut oil and butter, very tasty and great to cook and add to veg.
    OH and cut the bread and you are there.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Physical activity is fine and necessary, in moderation. You won't lose all that weight by exercise. Food is 80% of primal, per Mark.

Root vegetables are very primal and store well. Also some fruit, especially apples.

I agree with Dirlot about coconut oil and butter. If you like the fattier cold water fish, they are excellent. Go easy on eating a lot of lean meat.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

lugocottewd is offline Banned
    The potential implications of this are just terrifying to me.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Welcome.

Hey olive oil doesn't last that long, maybe you don't like it because it is rancid?

Experiment with ghee as well as coconut oil and butter as the others say.

Vegies going off is sad. Eat them in cycles - roast a tray of tubers and onion and eat for three days then eat salads for three days?

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In no particular order...

I bought a bottle of ghee a year...probably more than a year...ago. I transferred some of it to a smaller bottle and gave away the rest. I still have about half of what I kept. :/ I found that eggs fried in ghee taste great but leave me feeling queasy...though I am not sure why. Eggs fried in bacon grease can have a similar effect but after a bit the ghee smell and queasy feelings became somewhat linked in my brain, where the bacon smell had more positive associations. Not that I wouldn't eat it anyway in the right food of course. Never tried coconut oil.

Totally agree I won't lose weight with just exercise. I think I have lost about 5 pounds over the past two months, though that is perhaps misleading (my arms, legs, shoulders, etc. look/feel noticeably different due to changes in muscle). I'm going on the theory that too much change all at once will be counterproductive. Since my level of activity was a big obvious change that needed to happen, I started there and focused on it to get over the initial hump. It seems to be going in the right direction - I feel better and can do more. It made a quick positive impact on my quality of life, which is a great way to start...but it's just the start.

Rancid olive oil...good question. I don't really use much even when it is new though. I don't like oil in salad dressing, never could wrap my head around dipping bread in the stuff. I mainly used it when cooking (e.g. roasting vegetables) or as a bread ingredient (e.g. in pizza dough to increase pliability). A few years ago a family member gave me a small (375ml?) bottle of super-fancy boutique oil, so I switched down in size for awhile, but...shrug.

Cold water fish - basically all fish - is delicious. OK, I haven't found a good way to cook carp, but the rest is about as good as food gets.

Going easy on lean meat will be a challenge...they are usually my favorite cuts. Sirloin, skinless chicken breast, etc. Since I like my red meat rare I avoid the heavily marbled stuff that ends up with streaks of raw white fat. Bacon and the like usually isn't a problem because I cook it crisp and render a lot of the fat out.

Root vegetables are great. Parsnips, yams, radishes, onions, etc, all part of my diet now, along with squash, peppers/chilies, broccoli, cabbage, etc. The problem comes down to variety. If I buy a reasonable variety (bunch of parsnips, bag of onions, bundle of asparagus, a squash, etc.) I have a hard time eating it all before some starts turning. If I concentrate on one food at a time I wear out on that food...at least I have in the past. My body doesn't want a single source of food for very long. Salad greens...I only buy when I have company even though I like salads. Maybe without grains the consumption rate would go up enough that it isn't a problem though.

Thanks for the insight and welcome so far!