Thread: Boobaroo Takes it Off page

Boobaroo is offline Junior Member

Boobaroo Takes it Off

Primal Fuel
    Sooo, not very good at journalling but I love this forum and want to be a part of it. I'll give it a go.

After a lifetime of weight issues (pudgy kid, anorexic/ bulimic student, happily married and increasingly obese mother of 2) I had almost given up the ghost. I have numerous hormonal issues and have over the years been diagnosed and treated for: severe clinical depression, bipolar disorder, attention deficit disorder, pituitary failure, chronic fatigue and adrenal insufficiency.

I've consulted GPs, neurologists, cardiologists, immunologists, psychiatrists, kinesiologists, hypnotists, naturopaths, Chinese Medical Practitioners, homeopaths and spiritual gurus. One thing I'm not is a quitter

Have I dieted? Oh yes. Crazy low calorie in my late teens and early twenties (330 calories a day, at least two hours of exercise every day, sometimes five hours). Rosemary Conley VERY LOW FAT combined with a lovely side of bulimia in my mid twenties. Weight watchers in my early thirties. When not completely knocked out with either depression or chronic fatigue I go on mad exercise fads, hiking, martial arts, swimming, aerobics - nothing in moderation.

This intelligent and measured approach brought me to where I was five weeks ago: Forty three years old, 193-196lbs, 5 foot tall (in fairness, that last bit isn't my fault). Permanently exhausted, anxious, guilt-ridden and hopelessly facing a lifetime of chronic illness and racing towards type II diabetes.

A friend mentioned the Rosedale diet and I almost immediately discounted it. I try very hard to stay away from faddy diets these days and this didn't sound like something I could do. I do know several paleo types and they had really put me off this kind of approach - the ones I know are extreme athletes, evangelical, smug and patronizing. Not the best advertisement for this WOE (although, killer abs....) I must admit, I think they're kind of dumb and therefore was not ready to take anything they say seriously.

Somehow, the Rosedale thing wouldn't go away and eventually I downloaded the ebook and read it in one sitting. His explanations for how I came to be the way I am hit home with a huge impact and I realized that I couldn't simply continue to ignore reality. The Rosedale inductions phase does not really allow for any 'cheating' and I think this is what really sealed the deal for me. I'm not sure whether it came across earlier, but I'm a bit of an 'all or nothing' kind of gal...

So, five weeks in and where are we now? I've lost about 12 lbs in weight and I think that it's mostly fat - it's melting from my face, shoulders, arms, ribs and waistline. My skin is glowing and I look younger. My insides feel clean and non-toxic. On the down side, my energy has been extremely low. I'm not sure what triggered the chronic fatigue. In my enthusiasm to get going I tried to put in some Sprint 8 workouts at the beginning before I was fat adapted, I think that probably burned out my poor adrenals. I probably went through some candida die-off too.

My energy is starting to return now but I'm taking it slow. Earlier this year I was doing 20k intense workouts on my cross-trainer 5-6 days a week. Over three months I gained three pounds and didn't lose a centimeter. Over the last five weeks I've lost 12lbs, taken around 10 cms from my waist alone and gained muscle tone. I will try to learn from past mistakes and build the exercise up slowly.

My main support, motivation and encouragement has been reading this forum and devouring Mark's great articles. There are some seriously smart people hanging around here and I've become more and more convinced that I'm heading in the right direction. In some ways Rosedale is more extreme than the PB but the basic truths are the same. The whole low fat, high carb, grain fed way of life is killing us. If one more 'expert' tells me that I just need to 'eat a bit less' I will go for the throat.

Well, that was a long and miserable bit of journalling. I suppose I needed to get it off my chest before I can move forward. I really should add that I am a basically a positive person, been with my husband since I was 21, have two beautiful daughters, a successful business and a fabulous life. But something has always been missing and I finally feel as though I may be getting close to finding it.

If you made it this far, many thanks and Grok On.

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Welcome. I'm glad it's going well for you. I could never do a strict version like Rosedale but whatever works.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

lugocottewd is offline Banned
    The potential implications of this are just terrifying to me.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and congratulations on your progress so far.

Thanks for the encouragement, Hedonist. Yeah, I never saw myself doing it either but carbs are such a strong trigger for me, I'm honestly better without. In a couple of months I may experiment with a slightly higher carb level and see how I feel. Dietary fat is my favourite new friend!

Thanks Anneih,

When the weight loss is more noticeable I will bite the bullet and post some pics. I know how much I love seeing others' success stories.

Nuts to nuts

I have been happily chowing down on brazils, walnuts and almonds since starting on Rosedale. It's not too easy to find low carb snacks when you're out and about in Hong Kong (none that I will eat, anyway) and I hate to get hungry when I'm running errands.

So I'm happily munching away, wondering why I still get so much stomach pain when I'm eating such a healthy diet and why my weight loss seems to have stalled and .... yep. Apparently I don't respond to well to nuts. I stopped them two days ago and the pain has eased a lot and I've lost a pound. Of course, I've always eaten nuts. I love them. I couldn't have been happier to find that they were allowed on Rosedale.

I never noticed them bothering me as any problems were buried deep in the many other stressors my poor digestive and immune system were dealing with. Now I've reset the baseline, I'm incredibly sensitive to the things that don't agree with me.

I've read enough on this forum to know that this isn't considered earth-shattering news, but to me it's a revelation. My poor body has been under so much stress for so many years and I'm finally able to listen to it instead of being overcome by the deluge of distress messages it has been sending out. This in itself has made the changes worthwhile.

On the other hand, I am rapidly running out of things to eat... I've knocked dairy on the head for the time being too, as it also makes my tummy sad. I'm not a great meat eater, which is ok as there's not much great meat to eat here. So, yeah. Not a SAD diet anymore, but sometimes a sad me. I don't crave carbs any more but I sure do miss them!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Good on you for learning to make the connection between what you eat and how it makes you feel. It's a good sign. But, yes, nuts are high in calories and also a bit rough on the system at times. I hope eggs agree with you, they can be the basis of many good meals.

Result!

Yeah, eggs are go. The quality here isn't all that I'd hope for. No hope of local, organic, free range eggs as all the chickens had to be culled when bird flu became a problem.

I'm definitely off the plateau - don't know if the nuts were that big a problem but the weight is definitely shifting. As of this morning, I was down from 193 -196 (hard to tell when you're looking at the scale through one half-closed eye) to !80.5, which is the lowest I've been in about two years. I'm wearing my 'skinny trousers' and didn't even have to lie on the bed to do them up!

Still struggling with dietary boredom though. Whilst my body has obviously recovered from its need for carbs, my mind just can't let them go so nothing I eat is emotionally satisfying. I think I may need to try some hypnotherapy!

Thanks for your encouragement, Annie, it helps a whole heap.