Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving page 3

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    the same thing I eat every day (especially when I'm lying about it on the internet) MEAT, MOTHERF!!!!!!!!!!!

Mogs is offline Junior Member
    Our Thanksgiving is going to be a 4-day event, and will also include our monthly LAN party. Over the course of four days, we're eating 2 turkeys, 2 geese, bracciole, primal-friendly meatloaf, baked yams, mashed potatoes, roasted acorn and butternut squash, roasted vegetables (carrots, parsnips, brussels sprouts, beets), greens salad, primal pumpkin pie, lemon meringue (with almond flour crust), flourless chocolate cake, pumpkin cheesecake, brie chutney, sesame/sunflower seed crackers, and egg nog.

It is going to be epic.
    Gamer. Powerlifter. Trekkie. Yogi.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    We are going to have a mix: DH and I are primal, we are having a family of vegetarians over and their grandma who eats traditional American and DS who is an epicurean and doesn't have preference as long as it is tasty. I've decided to compromise and make the desserts gluten free, I came up with a crust that is delicious so no one will even notice that it's wheat free. The vegetarians are bring their main course so I don't have to think about that. But I noticed when I've been at their house they serve a lot more side dishes than I do; I tend to simplify the menu, preferring to have fewer dishes that are exceptional.

With my family it's all about the turkey and the gravy and really it's about the gravy (well and pumpkin pie). I will be removing the back bone and the breast bones and wings from the turkey a day or 2 in advance and adding that to some bones I already have (from our own rooster) to make a rich bone broth. This makes roasting and slicing the turkey a snap. Also I don't have to deal with the carcass after the feast, which is the last thing a cook wants to do after preparing the meal. I'm always suggesting to others that they try this, but I've yet to have a convert. Folks are really attached to the image of a whole roast turkey, personally I'd rather have better flavor and the ease of serving than the visual impact of an intact turkey that no one seems to be able to competently carve.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Going to my folks place, where a semi primal feast will be had. Standing rib roast, thermonuclear smashed taters, sauteed greens, veggie platter, pico de gallo, salsa, tortilla chips, au jus, mac and cheese, garlic spaghetti squash, mac and cheese, mock and cheese, rolls, pumpkin pie, chocolate pudding pie, pecan pie, and probably a few things I'm forgetting.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladandrewe View Post
    Those making a paleo stuffing would you share your recipes.
    Angie's Suburban Oasis: Paleo/Primal Thanksgiving Dressing/Stuffing Muffins

Oops... I see this is posted above!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    A bunch of us are getting together for a meal, and even though we are across the pond, it's gonna be thanksgiving theamed. So someone is brining a turkey, we're bring a load of greens to cook up ( no butter though there are gonna be vegan type people), a tonne of mashed sweet potatoes.

I'm also gonna try making a couple of butternut squash pies (in lieu if pumpkin pie as eating pumpkins are pricey, all we get are tastless carving pumpkins and they've all gone now), one with flour and evil veggie margarine pastry, and one with almound flour butter and egg pastry.

Gonna be tasty, and I'm going to forrest school to play in the woods with the kids in the morning before so I'll work up an appetite
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

PaleoAP is offline Member
    Just wrote an article on how to limit/lose fat during the holiday season while eating your favorite foods. This is my strategy and it works well if you're usually strict about your diet and training.

Limiting Fat-Gain and Self-Loathing Around the Holiday Season - Whole Muscle Gains
    Alex Peterson-
    Nutritional Consultant
    Creator of The Whole Muscle Diet and the Whole Muscle Blog

www.wholemusclegains.com

The authority on nutrition for strength and lean mass gains without the use of supplements, meal-timing, or other unnecessary diet methods.

PaleoAP is offline Member
    Pumpkin Cheesecake by the way. Best 20% I ever used.
    Alex Peterson-
    Nutritional Consultant
    Creator of The Whole Muscle Diet and the Whole Muscle Blog

www.wholemusclegains.com

The authority on nutrition for strength and lean mass gains without the use of supplements, meal-timing, or other unnecessary diet methods.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Turkey, flour-less gravy from the turkey juice, smashed potatoes, a side dish I'm making (pecans, brussel sprouts, apples, pears, all roasted with some dried cranberries), primal pumpkin pie (Mark's recipe)... Whatever else that looks appealing. I might make coconut-flour based pumpkin muffins. To add chocolate chips or no?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonwolf View Post
    I'm with you drumroll, but there should still be plenty of options available to me. The only think that will really tempt me is the potatoes au gratin (I'm of Irish blood...potatoes are tough to resist) but my brother said he is finally going to bring some bacon wrapped scallops so those would help quite a bit.
    There is nothing wrong with potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    It is silly indeed for a rather dry and tasteless bird. Money better spent on bacon. Or roast pig. I'm partial to pork, in case you can't tell.
    I don't find turkey dry or tasteless, but it does have to be cooked correctly.

I'm not cooking so I don't have much of a choice. My son-in-law usually cooks 2 turkeys, one traditionally roasted and one deep fried. Skin from a fried turkey just out of the fryer is so good.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast