Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Think I would like to try ketogenic diet page

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member

Think I would like to try ketogenic diet

Primal Fuel
    I'm intrigued now, I'm gonna do it. Anyone else?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm starting after Thanksgiving. It's been over a year since I've been in keto (well for extended period).

SJW2 is offline Member
    I tend to be in or near ketosis relatively often I *think*. I usually do a 16/8 daily IF structure and keep my carbs probably in the 40-75 range though I don't count super intensely. I may start to though.

I am interested though in ketogenic diets. I have heard increasing chatter about their potential harmfulness if attempted long-term even amongst the paleo-primal community. My common sense tells me they shouldn't be harmful ever. But this is what science is for. If anyone has any backed-up thoughts on why ketogenic diets are good or bad over the long term, that would be much appreciated!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I'm starting after Thanksgiving. It's been over a year since I've been in keto (well for extended period).
    I do cyclic ketosis myself. Works pretty well. I'd suggest starting with a strict two or three day fast to force ketosis and then jumping in full tilt with ketosis macros. That way the adaptation for it is speeded along.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SJW2 View Post
    I have heard increasing chatter about their potential harmfulness if attempted long-term even amongst the paleo-primal community. My common sense tells me they shouldn't be harmful ever. But this is what science is for. If anyone has any backed-up thoughts on why ketogenic diets are good or bad over the long term, that would be much appreciated!
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I pretty much live in ketosis and have for quite some time. None the worse for wear, in fact I feel awesome. I did a lot of research into it from the POV of neurological problems as I have epilepsy. There is decades worth of research backing the efficacy and safety of this diet.

If you google Johns Hopkins and Ketosis, you will find some interesting resources. There is also the AtkinsForSeizures.com website.

SJW2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I pretty much live in ketosis and have for quite some time. None the worse for wear, in fact I feel awesome. I did a lot of research into it from the POV of neurological problems as I have epilepsy. There is decades worth of research backing the efficacy and safety of this diet.

If you google Johns Hopkins and Ketosis, you will find some interesting resources. There is also the AtkinsForSeizures.com website.
    I of course don't believe everything I read. However, when trusted sources like Dr. Kurt Harris and others question whether ketosis is good to stay in for long periods of time, I do a double take - hence the question.

Obviously ketogenic diets are prescribed for those with epilepsy. My understanding was because the advantages outweigh the risk. But I have to hear a compelling reason why they would be harmful. I was trying to do my due diligence. As I said, I suspect there is zero danger whatsoever.

Thanks for the response - glad it is doing great for you.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I have done a successful keto diet in the past with some great results. I also beleve it's very primal to consume less carbs in the winter time. I'm currently maintainIng, so at this time am not interested. Personally, I don't believe it should be done long term unless there is a health issue that could greatly benefit from ketosis.

I'm kinda confused. I have some ketostix, I had trace amounts this morning. I have definately stayed under 50g of carb today but now I'm testing negative.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I'm kinda confused. I have some ketostix, I had trace amounts this morning. I have definately stayed under 50g of carb today but now I'm testing negative.
    It's not as simple as "stay under 50 grams of crabs and stay in ketosis."

It depends on your activity level. You need to be USING those carbs and almost immediately to stay in ketosis. If you are not that active, or are having a rest day, you probably want to go even lower. The Atkins diet even suggests that at least while adapting and certainly for those who are less active, 20 or fewer grams a day (net, not total) should be consumed, and YES, you count the carbs even from leafy green and other non-starchy vegetables.

There's also conflicting advice about protein intake and the effect on ketosis. Some say too much might cause gluconeogenesis (conversion of protein to glucose) so you should keep protein consumption on the moderate side. Others say gluconeogenesis inherently remains constant so it's not an issue to worry about. Just to play it safe, I'd recommend staying within .7-1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN body mass (so it's not just going to be based off your total weight).

I have no idea what my lean body mass is, lol!!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast