Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Think I would like to try ketogenic diet page 6

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Can take up to a week to get into ketosis....unless your fasting. Even fat and protein you eat will reduce the use of glycogen stores. That said chillax . Running slowly actually just assures that you preferably burned fat rather than glycogen, so it didn't put much a dent into your progression. I think keto-stix are a bit too stressful. I like to adhere to the dietary theory and assume my body is working the rest out.
    I think you're right. Chill pill taken.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Alrighty, so I have been pretty low carb since Saturday morning, went for a run on Sunday (about five miles, slowly) and did Les Mills today, so I would think that I would have burned through glycogen stores, but Ketostix are still coming up negative. What does this mean?
    It means give it time. You will get there. And also ketostix don't always tell the correct story. They measure spilled ketones in the urine. It is possible your body is either not producing excess ketones that can be spilled and/or your body is using all the ketones it makes if it is making any.

I'd advise taking it easy on the cardio. It's going to be stressful to make the transition without adding that kind of additional stress. Just take a nice walk. It'll help more than cardio.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    That does bring up the two contending views on entering ketosis though sbhikes. Some like to do the "ice plunge" glycogen depleting workouts and fast for 1-3 days...while others like to ease into it like a hot tub with some walking and just let the diet do the job. I think the "carb flu" may be shorter and more intense with the former...and either non-existent to prolonged and annoying in the latter. The other aspect is the achivement of eating and mental zen at an early or slower state. Ahhhh the possibilities are endless . Plenty of variability for the human condition, even in how we enter ketosis.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It means give it time. You will get there. And also ketostix don't always tell the correct story. They measure spilled ketones in the urine. It is possible your body is either not producing excess ketones that can be spilled and/or your body is using all the ketones it makes if it is making any.

I'd advise taking it easy on the cardio. It's going to be stressful to make the transition without adding that kind of additional stress. Just take a nice walk. It'll help more than cardio.
    Sounds good. I'm just focusing right now on doing my lifting and 1X HIIT per week now that I've started this keto experiement. Anything else will be walking, cleaning house, playing with the kiddos type of stuff.

That does bring up the two contending views on entering ketosis though sbhikes. Some like to do the "ice plunge" glycogen depleting workouts and fast for 1-3 days...while others like to ease into it like a hot tub with some walking and just let the diet do the job. I think the "carb flu" may be shorter and more intense with the former...and either non-existent to prolonged and annoying in the latter. The other aspect is the achivement of eating and mental zen at an early or slower state. Ahhhh the possibilities are endless . Plenty of variability for the human condition, even in how we enter ketosis.
    I think I'll just take it easy on myself and let the diet do it's job, lol!!! Five small children and fasting with intense exercise sounds like a nightmare to me, lol!!!

I think I'll just take it easy on myself and let the diet do it's job, lol!!! Five small children and fasting with intense exercise sounds like a nightmare to me, lol!!!
    I agree....why add to the stress of it if you don't have to...I'm just conversing AKA bored at home watching a monday night football game that sucks.

I agree....why add to the stress of it if you don't have to...I'm just conversing AKA bored at home watching a monday night football game that sucks.
    I'm bored too. I suppose I should get my kiddies ready for bed.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of fasting, I just fasted my way into ketosis today. Ah, amazing. See what a little two day fast that is led up by a moderate weightlifting session can do?

But enough of that. Let the diet do its thing, yeah, that's best. I mean really. Either you fast into it or you accept that it's going to take some time. Don't fight it, just make it part of your daily routine and let it come when your body says its ready. It'll take anywhere from a week to two weeks to get fully into ketosis. Your body will get there when the glycogen is kicked from the system.

I'm bored too. I suppose I should get my kiddies ready for bed.
    My night off.....wife is on tonight........yes we alternate based on schedule and I damn well take every gram of freedom I get from my night

abi
    abi is online now Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    great list - I'll add these on to the ever-expanding book list for St. Nick!

I love that so much free info is available online though - definitely cuts down on expenses.
    Last edited by abi; 11-20-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo
    if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast