Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Think I would like to try ketogenic diet page 5

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by SJW2 View Post
    I of course don't believe everything I read. However, when trusted sources like Dr. Kurt Harris and others question whether ketosis is good to stay in for long periods of time, I do a double take - hence the question.

Obviously ketogenic diets are prescribed for those with epilepsy. My understanding was because the advantages outweigh the risk. But I have to hear a compelling reason why they would be harmful. I was trying to do my due diligence. As I said, I suspect there is zero danger whatsoever.

Thanks for the response - glad it is doing great for you.
    "Trusted source" and "Kurt Harris" stopped being in the same sentence for me a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I have done a successful keto diet in the past with some great results. I also beleve it's very primal to consume less carbs in the winter time. I'm currently maintainIng, so at this time am not interested. Personally, I don't believe it should be done long term unless there is a health issue that could greatly benefit from ketosis.
    Why? If it is safe for someone with epilepsy, it is safe for others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Well, about 0.7-1 gram per pound, yes. That's a good number for muscle maintenance. You can convert that to kg if you like, but it's a bit less per kg for sure.
    I would say that is a good range too. So does Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    So then, I could keep carbs around 20-30/day (from veggies) and then in 3-4 weeks I'll be keto adapted? I tried it before, but I don't know that I went long enough to really get to the point of being fully keto adapted. I want to try it again and see how I feel. Last time I did it I got to three weeks.
    The time it takes is very much dependent on how much of a carb burner you are to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I would but I just can't give up my starchy vegetables like leeks, squash, etc. Forget meat, vegetables are my downfall.
    Who said you can't have vegetables?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Who said you can't have vegetables?
    Considering a medium sized white potato is around 30g carb (per this link: The Carbohydrate Values Of Sweet Potatoes And White Potatoes | LIVESTRONG.COM) I don't understand why people think they can't eat as many non-starch vegs as they'd like.

That's the only way I can sort of do the keto thing, by eating a lot of veggies to try and forget about the beautiful potato.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    This is harder than I thought it was going to be. I'm already up to 26g of carbs for the day. Maybe the greek yogurt after my workout wasn't a good idea? Oh, and I didn't know how high in carbs balsamic vinegar was, as well as avocado. *sigh*

Looks like it's just meat for dinner tonight, lmao!!!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    This is harder than I thought it was going to be. I'm already up to 26g of carbs for the day. Maybe the greek yogurt after my workout wasn't a good idea? Oh, and I didn't know how high in carbs balsamic vinegar was, as well as avocado. *sigh*

You're good up to 50 ish, so I wouldn't worry too much. I mean, you're good until 100ish, but since you're trying to dip into ketosis quickly it's best to stick even lower.

abi
    abi is offline Member

Yup greek yoghurt did that to me too. Who knew? Lol. You'll just have to get down and dirty with heavy cream.

Are you counting total carbs or net? I read through the 100 pages or so of 'eat MOAR fat' and it really shook my way of thinking up...for the better. I took Paleobird's line of thinking from that (hopefully correctly?) and I started counting net carbs (total carbs minus fibre) and still feel like it's working pretty good. But I'm learning, n=1
    if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room

Quote Originally Posted by abi View Post
    Yup greek yoghurt did that to me too. Who knew? Lol. You'll just have to get down and dirty with heavy cream.

Are you counting total carbs or net? I read through the 100 pages or so of 'eat MOAR fat' and it really shook my way of thinking up...for the better. I took Paleobird's line of thinking from that (hopefully correctly?) and I started counting net carbs (total carbs minus fibre) and still feel like it's working pretty good. But I'm learning, n=1
    I really wanted to get some heavy cream last night, but I couldn't find any without carrageenan. It kinda pissed me off a little. I'm not sure if it's net carbs or total. I'm using Paleotrack but you are absolutely right, I don't need to count the fiber. I forgot about that. I think I'm going to go back and re-read the eat moar fat thread. I kept up reading it for quite awhile, but I don't think I ever got to the end.

Alrighty, so I have been pretty low carb since Saturday morning, went for a run on Sunday (about five miles, slowly) and did Les Mills today, so I would think that I would have burned through glycogen stores, but Ketostix are still coming up negative. What does this mean?

Annlee is offline Senior Member

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Alrighty, so I have been pretty low carb since Saturday morning, went for a run on Sunday (about five miles, slowly) and did Les Mills today, so I would think that I would have burned through glycogen stores, but Ketostix are still coming up negative. What does this mean?
    Can take up to a week to get into ketosis....unless your fasting. Even fat and protein you eat will reduce the use of glycogen stores. That said chillax . Running slowly actually just assures that you preferably burned fat rather than glycogen, so it didn't put much a dent into your progression. I think keto-stix are a bit too stressful. I like to adhere to the dietary theory and assume my body is working the rest out.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast