Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Think I would like to try ketogenic diet page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I have no idea what my lean body mass is, lol!!!
    For your purposes, just assume the leaner you are, the closer it is to your actual weight. If you are really lean, it is likely about ten grams less than your total weight. If you are not very lean it's going to be a bit more.

Also, you can consume slightly (but don't go nuts) more protein on days were you do a good lifting/bodyweight workout.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    For your purposes, just assume the leaner you are, the closer it is to your actual weight. If you are really lean, it is likely about ten grams less than your total weight. If you are not very lean it's going to be a bit more.

Also, you can consume slightly (but don't go nuts) more protein on days were you do a good lifting/bodyweight workout.
    Ok, well I'm not what I would call lean.....but I'm in good shape. I would like to lose about 20lbs of fat. Right now I weigh 155-160.....so that would mean my lean body mass is????? 130? I still have some fat at 140, but I have a pretty muscular build so when I get to 140 I'm pretty thin, but look very fit. I'm 5'7.

When I get to 140 I'm about a size 4. I'm good with that.

Ok, well I'm not what I would call lean.....but I'm in good shape. I would like to lose about 20lbs of fat. Right now I weigh 155-160.....so that would mean my lean body mass is????? 130? I still have some fat at 140, but I have a pretty muscular build so when I get to 140 I'm pretty thin, but look very fit. I'm 5'7.

When I get to 140 I'm about a size 4. I'm good with that.
    You could also get a pretty good guess on lean bodyweight if you knew your body fat percentage and used that to calculate. But don't worry too much. Just don't assume that you can eat protein ad libitum while trying to stay in ketosis. That's the message here.

So, then I can just stick with, like 100g of protein a day and I'll probably be fine then?

So, then I can just stick with, like 100g of protein a day and I'll probably be fine then?
    I'd say around (it's not an exact science) 110 grams a day at the upper range, maybe 125 on a heavy lifting day, keep carbs at a level where depending on physical activity level, you will be burning them off quickly (so amount depends on the day).

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    @Drumroll 10g of fat only on a lean person?!? I think your numbers might be off. Even if someone weighed 50Kg with 1% bf
    50kg= 50000g 1% of that is 500g or 0.5 kg. Of course 1% is an extreme example but even someone with 10% bf which is pretty good for the average male that would be 5kg of fat on the body and a woman with 20% bf again pretty lean would be carrying and extra 10kg of bf.

@MarissaLinnea there are lots of calculators you can use to calculate % bf using a tape measure taking body measurements it will give you a close enough approximation.
    Although I am not a big fan of BMI for the average joe and for what you are doing it should be a good enough indicator. If you calculate your bmi you can convert to bf% and work our your lbm from there.
    How To Convert Bmi To Body Fat Percentage | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    @Drumroll 10g of fat only on a lean person?!? I think your numbers might be off. Even if someone weighed 50Kg with 1% bf
    50kg= 50000g 1% of that is 500g or 0.5 kg. Of course 1% is an extreme example but even someone with 10% bf which is pretty good for the average male that would be 5kg of fat on the body and a woman with 20% bf again pretty lean would be carrying and extra 10kg of bf.
    Not grams. Pounds. Heh. I think you misread that.

And even then, it might be a little low granted. And I did specify that that was for a leaner individual and was likely more for the rest of us.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Pounds makes more sense but your post did say grams.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

So 1g of protein per lb of lean mass?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Pounds makes more sense but your post did say grams.

So 1g of protein per lb of lean mass?
    Well, about 0.7-1 gram per pound, yes. That's a good number for muscle maintenance. You can convert that to kg if you like, but it's a bit less per kg for sure.

So then, I could keep carbs around 20-30/day (from veggies) and then in 3-4 weeks I'll be keto adapted? I tried it before, but I don't know that I went long enough to really get to the point of being fully keto adapted. I want to try it again and see how I feel. Last time I did it I got to three weeks.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast