Thread: Vibrams for Powerlifter page

gorddowney is offline Junior Member

Vibrams for Powerlifter

Shop Now
    Hey guys I'm new here... I powerlift and am 19 going on 20... I have bunions on both feet... the right worse than the left and both not bad according to the doc, but bad enough to eventually have to get surgery down the road when the pain becomes unbearable. The right one is starting to give me some pain. My mom has bunions and her grandmother had them, but I have not had them all my life. Truth is I cant remember when or how I got them. I have been wearing orthotics on and off for years now due to my semi flat feet and the doc says I over pronate... I read about vibram five fingers and other minimalist shoes and wonder if switching to barefoot may solve my bunion problems so I can go back to doing sled dragging and hill sprints again. My Chuck Taylors seem too narrow and are starting to bother my right bunion after I am done waiting tables at night. I do not care if the lump is still there so long as the vibram shoes can make me pain free and straighten the big toe out a bit, it is almost touching the toe next to it now on the right foot. My mom says I am stupid for thinking barefoot is the answer as she has tried it and says it just makes her bunions hurt more... she was never disciplined with it though as she would alternate with orthotics... anyone have any input... also I have size 13 shoes so would my foot be too big for vibrams, im a big guy...

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Can you find wider width Chuck Taylors? That's what I powerlift in. Alternately, I know a lot of powerlifters wear wrestling shoes. That might be a reasonable alternative if you can find some that are comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Can you find wider width Chuck Taylors? That's what I powerlift in. Alternately, I know a lot of powerlifters wear wrestling shoes. That might be a reasonable alternative if you can find some that are comfortable.
    That might work... But I am really just looking to see if the Vibrams will help with my flat-ish feet and straighten out my toe and fix my bunion pain...

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Maybe. Quite likely, but it's hard to say.

No matter what, get wider shoes. Now.

Can anyone else expound upon this furthur with experience?

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    I have flat feet and train in KSOs. I cannot answer about the bunion issue. Vibrams are some of the most comfortable shoes that i have found
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Chaloney is offline Member
    Merrell also makes a great line of " barefoot"shoes. Chuck Taylor's are very narrow up front. I've used Merrell for crossfit and weight training for several months and love them.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I think barefooting might help you. I've lifted in my VFFs for ages but I'm not a competitive powerlifter yet, so I don't know if I'd want lifting shoes at that point. But even if you decide to continue to lift in your Chucks, you could wear minimalist shoes for your sprints and conditioning work as well as for everyday walking.

As for the size issue, yes, you can definitely get VFFs in your size. My partner wears a men's 12-13 wide and they make them in bigger sizes than his. The only question would be whether a shop near you carried that size or if you'd have to order them online.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

RobbyJ is offline Member
    I wear a size 13 wide or 14 regular and VFF's are great on my feet. The only inflexible part of the shoe is the sole, the rest stretches and will fit most width feet.

Certainly be worth a try. Look at Vivo Barefoots or Trail Gloves as well.