Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reason Why I Run Out of Energy?

Reason Why I Run Out of Energy?

Shop Now
    Why do I run out of energy at towards the end of the day? My usual schedule is up at 5ish and to bed around 9ish. Some days I am totally wiped out by 6:30 pm, like yesterday. What could be the nutritional causes of that? Need more protein or fat or something?

I am currently doing no dairy, caffeine, or sugar of any kind.

Thanks,
    Shelley

Post what you eat along with some stats (height weight sex exercise)

48 year-old female, 5' 3.5", 141 lbs, BMI 25, lost 42 lbs over the last 6 months

I am not athletic nor extremely active, but busy. I have a desk job and get up 3-4 times a day to walk up and down the stairs for 2 minutes and take a 5 minute walk outside. When not at work, I am busy doing cooking, cleaning, errands, and other mom things. I try to walk at a moderate/brisk pace 20-30 minutes daily as well.

I think I do move around more on weekends cleaning, gardening and running errands. Yesterday morning was unusual in that I spent 45 minutes in the morning carrying wood logs to mend a fence. I was moving at a comfortable pace, not overly strenuous.

I eat grass-fed and mostly organic. My food log for yesterday is below. (50g fat, 63g carbs, 71g protein)

Breakfast:
    About a cup of hash made with beef bacon, onion, mushrooms, white potato, sweet potato, green peppers
    Smallish roasted chicken thigh

Lunch:
    4 ounces beef brisket, it did not contain a lot of fat
    Couple cups of salad with spinach, kale, romaine, carrots, green peppers, ounce of olive oil and balsamic
    Banana

Didn't really eat dinner. I wasn't very hungry. Just tired.
    Couple ounces of Hanger Steak
    Few slices of mushrooms

The only other thing I can think of is a small bit of dairy. I do not have a known intolerance to dairy. I prepared the steak with blue cheese crumbles for everyone else. I didn't intend to have any, but I could taste it on my steak. Couldn't have been much because I sure didn't see it. Early afternoon I had a small taste of the smoothie I threw together for my son to make sure it would be yummy. It had strawberries, bananas, and heavy cream.

Today I have done no extra activities, just life. I have not been hungry at all, but have eaten anyway. It is about 5:00 pm and I am really tired. I slept about 10 hours last night. I would say 7 of them were uninterrupted.

Today is below: (47g fat, 48g carb, 30g protein)

Breakfast:
    About a cup of hash made with beef bacon, onion, mushrooms, white potato, sweet potato, green peppers
    A egg scrambled in coconut oil

Lunch:
    A egg scrambled in coconut oil

Snack (an effort to up the fat):
    2 ounces blueberries
    2 tablespoons almond butter

As far as food goes, this is fairly typical of how much and what kinds of foods I eat daily.

Thank you for your advice,
    Shelley

When I hit the wall, it's a lack of one of the following three things:
    1. Water
    2. Walt
    3. Fat
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Wow, I eat upwards of 100 to 130 grams of fat a day if I'm not on a fast. You're regularly not hitting even half of that. I think that may help explain things... Just a guess.

I realize your caloric requirements might be different of course, so I am not suggesting that you hit full-on with my intake level, but an increase may be in order.

Seems like you need more fat. If you can't alter your food quantities much, try having oily fish more often, olive-oil dressing on any salads and (my trick) put a spoonful of unsalted butter on the side of your dish and, as you get a forkful, put a bit of butter straight on. Good fat boosters.

I think you need more fat and protein. If those numbers are right, you're under 1000cal/day. You need to eat more.

Yes, I tend to run 800-1100 cal a day. It bothers me a bit, but I try not to stress about it. I eat when I am hungry and here lately even when I am not. I stop when I am full. I would say satisfied, but that point goes by pretty quick, like last night's dinner. I know I am not going to be hungry again tonight, but am thinking I ought to eat anyway. I am wondering if I ought to be using low energy as a gauge for hunger instead of the signs I am used to.

Thank you for your input. Pretty sure I can easily add fat to my meals without adding bulk. I will see what I can do about protein.

I am already at 557 calories today and have a lot more energy. I am eating because I need to and not because I am hungry. I fill a bit full and a little bloated. Do you suppose this is ok? Has anyone else experienced this problem? I just find it odd that I am force feeding myself.

So far today: (38g fat, 31g carb, 22g protein)

Breakfast
    Green Smoothie: 1/4 can coconut milk, 1.5 eggs, 3 strawberries, 1/2 banana, 1/2 handful spinach

Morning Snack
    Handful Spinach
    12 Almonds
    3 4x2" pieces homemade beef jerkey

Learn More
    800-1100 calories a day doesn't sound like enough food for someone at your activity level and size.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5