Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No appetite page

shelynne62 is offline Member

No appetite

Shop Now
    I am finding I have no appetite lately. Should I follow my body's wisdom and just not eat until I could eat road kill, or should I eat anyway? This is my 2nd week of being 90/10 primal.
    September 2010 SW 236 lbs.
    March 2011 lowest primal weight 190
    November 2012 CW 210 (yeah, I know)
    11/16/12 206.6
    GW 140 - 160 ( we'll see when we get there)

I'm not always consistent, but I am consistently inconsistent.

"If vibrant had a sound it would be you, welcome back to life" Michael Brown (my son)

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    You're not seriously asking a forum weather you should eat or not..
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    I use times like this to learn new habits. Try it a few different ways for a few days and see how you feel!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that you're still to new to primal that you should be actively searching out new primal foods and recipes.

There WILL come a time when you feel tired and half assed. And if you don't have go to recipes and habits in place when you 'fall', then you'll go back to your previous happy place.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Are you really not hungry or are you bored? If you really aren't hungry, you can probably go for a little while on very little food.

If you're bored with the food you've been eating, maybe go to the best market you know and treat yourself to something the way you maybe used to treat yourself to eating out before PB. Steak and asparagus (smothered in butter)? Pork cooked with some fruit? An exotic cheese and a pear or mango?

You didn't say how long you haven't been hungry, so use common sense. I think you'll know if you're taking not eating too far.

shelynne62 is offline Member
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

Yes, I think maybe I might be a little bored and I have been looking at different recipes. I loved the roasted goose recipe that was on Mark's blog a few days ago and am thinking about cooking this for Thanksgiving.

I will definately try out different foods and see how that goes.

Gilleh... You know, It did seem like I was asking if I should eat, but what I was really looking for was some explanation of why I was feeling this way. I was worried that not eating was going to have a negative effect on my overall plan. I know Mark advocates the IF, and I do IF almost everyday, but when I have no appetite for days it was starting to worry me. I guess I should have been more clear about what I was actually seeking in responses. Thank you for the chance to clarify.
    Last edited by shelynne62; 11-19-2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: clarification
    September 2010 SW 236 lbs.
    March 2011 lowest primal weight 190
    November 2012 CW 210 (yeah, I know)
    11/16/12 206.6
    GW 140 - 160 ( we'll see when we get there)

I'm not always consistent, but I am consistently inconsistent.

"If vibrant had a sound it would be you, welcome back to life" Michael Brown (my son)

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are successfully at 90%!

Put a cheap steak in the fridge to marinade. Put a bone in the crock-pot for bone broth. Cut up some veggies.

Wait to eat until you can literally hear your tummy making noises. If you want to hurry it up a bit, go out and dig a hole, lift weights, run in the sand, etc.

The trick is to have your good food ready to go when you hit literal hunger (not just mental - oh it's time to eat - hunger).

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    you're feeling this way because primal hunger is different than SAD hunger.

You are used to feeling that rumbling, aching, jittery, crabby, low blood sugar hunger that you get from a refined-carb SAD diet.

Primal hunger is more subtle. TRUE hunger is meant to tell you when its time to refuel your body, not bump up your blood sugar. You can go for much longer without having to eat because your blood sugar is stable when eating primal. You are no longer eating constantly to ward off hunger.

I love food. My biggest complaint about primal is that I rarely get truly hungry, so if I wait to eat until I'm hungry, I only end up eating 2 times a day. Even if I'm "a little" hungry, it can be manageable for hours. So I always keep good, tasty primal food on hand, and plan tasty meals for my next eating opportunity. This way I can look foward to eating, even if I'm not *feeling* like eating, and I don't desperately stuff my face with the wrong foods when I'm finally ravenous. If I'm only going to eat 2x a day, they are going to be worth it.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    That's a complaint I have about primal, too. I'll buy all this great stuff and not get a chance to eat it. For example, I bought some persimmons to make a dessert. They finally got ripe on Friday. Not hungry enough for dessert on Friday, how about Saturday. Too full for dessert on Saturday. I finally forced myself to eat them on Sunday because other wise they'd go to waste and persimmons are just too good to waste.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    I think after Christmas I'm going to implement a protocol where I don't go to the grocery store until I am hungry and then I only buy just what I'm going to have for the next meal. (With the exception of eating at work, which I have to plan for in advance.)

My larder is overflowing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast