Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much fruit is good for you? page

GreenGranted is offline Junior Member

How much fruit is good for you?

Shop Now
    Hey everyone,

Before modern civilisation came it was impossible for humans to eat fruit year round. I bet there wasn't any fruit around by the time winter came. So exactly how important is fruit deemed to be in a primal diet? Can you eat too much fruit? (is, say, 4 pieces of fruit too much sugar intake?)

Thanks!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Arguably, you don't need any fruit. Your intake should be dependent upon your goals, if you are trying to keep your carbs down, eat less fruit, for instance. You can get your vitamins and minerals and antioxidants from meats and vegetables just as well.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It's true. Have some spinach/kale/dandelion, some oysters, some liver and a few eggs, nuts and berries and a sweet potato (or not!) with a little bacon/heart/fish/beef/fowl and that hits most of your micronutrient ratios for the day.

I, for one, just tried adding fruit back to my eating and got bloated, gassy, and *runny*. Not worth it, for me.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    I tend to have just one fruit per day (or a handful of berries) usually in the morning with yogurt.

If nothing else it's peace of mind

AC

GreenGranted is offline Junior Member
    So, if I understand correctly: fruit is not needed, but it certainly does have a lot vitamins / anti-oxidants that vegetables also have. So it can substitute part of your vegetable intake?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGranted View Post
    So, if I understand correctly: fruit is not needed, but it certainly does have a lot vitamins / anti-oxidants that vegetables also have. So it can substitute part of your vegetable intake?
    It's not necessary, but it is Primal. 4 pieces a day is about a 120g carb load (give or take). For an average sized human with a healthy metabolism that should not present any problems. For someone with liver disease or metabolic syndrome....may not be optimal.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I like fruit and I don't see anything wrong with eating it. It adds variety and I mostly eat what's in season. Berries in spring and summer, peaches in summer, apples and pears in fall and winter. Occasional oranges and clementines in fall and early winter. I generally only eat one serving/piece a day, but not everyday. The only fruit I eat year round is bananas when I have a hankering.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Today I ate an orange, 2 avocados, 3 apples (threw those with some meat on the pen) and a pomegranate (spat the seeds which don't agree with my belly). no adverse effects so far. Ate them with lots of meat to slow the digestion so I won't have a sugar rush.
    So far so good.
    I do notice acne if I eat more than one banana or binge on potatoes, I wonder if that means I don't react well to starch overload.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 11-18-2012 at 07:53 AM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If humans did, in fact, originate from the tropics (where vegetation, including fruit, is available year-round), then this argument does not hold ground. It's a matter of gauging your body's response to fruit. Personally, I can eat 10+ servings of fruit a day and feel fine. If you become bloated and gassy as Knifegill did, you might want to limit it.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    I can eat 10+ servings of fruit a day and feel fine. If you become bloated and gassy as Knifegill did, you might want to limit it.
    Do you eat a lot of smoothies? Or are some of your entire meals simply made of only fruit?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast