Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much fruit is good for you? page 2

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat ten servings EVERY day, haha! I do that maybe once or twice a week.

I usually do smoothies post-workout, though -- coconut milk, two bananas, two cups of frozen fruit, and fresh-squeezed orange juice. Later, I'll have some more frozen fruit with coconut milk, maybe a few dates or some dried cherries. This is usually on top of a big dinner of meat and rice.

I've been working on gaining weight for a while now, however, so this exact protocol might not be the best idea for everyone.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Oh, I see. I was leaning toward the whole safe starch thing (rather than eating fruit) for a while. Then I was looking through this ladies web site Vegetables Diagnosis: Diet which makes a pretty sound argument for primarily meat and fruit. Of course we know tubers were eaten. Just some interesting angles to study.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I feel like if you don't eat fruit, you run the risk of getting bored with your diet and that makes it easier to cheat and eat crappy foods. I find I eat 2-3 pieces a day, but eat fewer starches lately (sweet potato). A banana after dinner keeps me from eating crap. I have recently started getting into the "paleo desserts", and it just seems smarted to have the banana versus a piece of cake made out of coconut flour.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    As much as you want. Fruit comes from the earth. Enjoy it at will.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    It depends on how carb sensitive you are. I can't eat fruit because my body processes it like any other sugar--and I'm ravenous. To use "magnolia's" example, if I had a banana after dinner, I would not only go on to that coconut flour cake, but would want ice cream as well.

My point is that the original question depends upon each individual's ability to deal with fruit. I love fruit--but I also know that it just isn't good for me with my particular metabolic dysfunction.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Fruit will not give you heart disease or cancer. Might make you a little chubby from overindulging! But it will also likely inspire you to get up and move around more. Wonderful how the body maintains balance...

SJW2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    It's not necessary, but it is Primal. 4 pieces a day is about a 120g carb load (give or take). For an average sized human with a healthy metabolism that should not present any problems. For someone with liver disease or metabolic syndrome....may not be optimal.
    This. Modest fruit intake is fine if you can handle it. But many people who have had metabolic issues cannot tolerate them very well on account of the fructose intake. If leaning out is your goal, I personally would avoid fruit (which I love). If you have already reached your leanness goals, have at it, but in moderation, IMO.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I don't know why eating a piece of fruit would somehow invoke intense cravings to eat some other random food.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If you poop your pants on the walk home from the farmers' market, you've eaten too much. (This did actually happen to a friend of mine eating cherries on her walk home from the market.)

danandvicky is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @Magnolia 1973
    Sounds like good advice to me. People tend to get hung up on the detail, and miss the big picture.
    If a banana helps with adherence then go for it.
    If you are substituting all your previous crap with new crap made out of 'paleo/primal' ingredients, you're still eating a crappy diet!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast