Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seafood doesn't really fill me up page

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member

Seafood doesn't really fill me up

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone else noticed anything like this? If I were to eat a pound of steak, I'm done...for hours, if not the day. However, if I eat one pound of, say, shrimp, I'm hungry in an hour...I'm assuming it's because of the fat content..everything else is about the same.

Anyone have any ideas to balance things out, besides making like shrimp alfredo every night haha? I want to start eating more seafood vs meat and fowl for a while (multiple reasons), but can't afford to be buying as much seafood as would be needed get me through the day, almost everyday of the week.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I agree, and when I portion out things to freeze, portions of beef or pork are ~10-12 oz, but fish is almost always a pound. (I eat one large meal and one small snack a day.)

Aside from cream sauces, you might want to saute fish in good oils. Salmon is a bit more filling (to me anyway) than most other kinds of fish - probably from the fat content. Not sure of your position on potatoes and/or white rice, but either makes a pretty good side dish to fish, and topped with butter is pretty filling.

If you use primally approved flours, squid dredged in tapioca flour and fried in a good oil is pretty terrific. (Cut it into rings first.) I think shrimp might work that way too, though I usually eat head-on shrimp just boiled with spices.

And as always, watch for sales and be open minded. If I'm trying something new, I'll ask the fish monger by cluing her/him into what I like/dislike (eg. I really don't like Snapper). A good fishmonger should be able to point you in the direction of a new and maybe less expensive fish. Catfish cheeks are usually inexpensive and can be prepared like any white fish.

A lot of people here like sardines in cans. Good for you. Portable. A little expensive if you prorate the cost of a can over a pound, but for some reason canned fish is really filling, even when packed in water.

Hope some of those are helpful.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Seafood fills me up very well, but I'm a small person. I can eat 2 orders of sashimi and be completely satiated, similarly with meats, whereas I can overeat if I mostly eat vegetables.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I think 'fills me up' refers to your feeling of satiety rather than to actually being hungry. I eat a lot of fish, and I know that I 'feel' less satisfied--i.e., lighter and less 'filled up,' but since I'm getting the same amount of protein, I'm really not hungry.

In fact, I've learned to prefer to less 'full' feeling I get from my fish meals.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    I agree with emmie.
    I'm trying to get more DHA at the moment to cure my pituitary gland problems slowly (following Jack Kruse Epi Paleo Rx protocol, I know the man is strange but the stuff he writes about isnt uninteresting and is clearly backed by my doctor), and if I eat the same amount of kcal and the same kind of macros %, the hunger is the same.

However, I feel lighter in the stomach and I kind of life the feeling.
    I don't know what does that at all, I just know that I consume more MUFA and less Sat Fat than before at the moment.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

girlhk is online now Senior Member
    I've noticed this as well, and have been wondering about it. I greatly prefer meat, especially red meat, over seafood. The only seafood I like are salmon, sardines, fish head, and sashimi, which I have mainly for variety. I used to wonder if there's something in red meat that I needed, because I would crave it sometimes.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I find that seafood doesn't cause much of an issue, but it needs to either be:
    -very fresh
    -in oil
    -or with something oily (avocado)
    Otherwise, it won't fill me up.

Maybe it's that the fish you're eating has lost some of its oiliness, so the fat isn't as accessible or has even broken down?
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you buy shrimp in the shell, you only end up with about 70% yield compared with steak. And that's much leaner. Eat your shrimp with lots of butter.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I had noticed that. Except for salmon and tuna, fish and seafood are just not filling for me.
    I think, for me at least it's a texture thing. I find foods more dence in texture far more satisfying ounce for ounce.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    Has anyone else noticed anything like this? If I were to eat a pound of steak, I'm done...for hours, if not the day. However, if I eat one pound of, say, shrimp, I'm hungry in an hour...I'm assuming it's because of the fat content..everything else is about the same.

Anyone have any ideas to balance things out, besides making like shrimp alfredo every night haha? I want to start eating more seafood vs meat and fowl for a while (multiple reasons), but can't afford to be buying as much seafood as would be needed get me through the day, almost everyday of the week.
    It's because it's low fat. You have to slather it in grass fed butter

You can get fancy and make some butter or organic heavy cream based sauces too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast