Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehydrating and fast for weight loss page

destructalux is offline Senior Member

Dehydrating and fast for weight loss

Primal Fuel
    this whole idea will no doubt seem ridiculous to most but its whats happening in my life at the moment. me and some mates are booked in for tandem skydiving next friday and the weight restrictions are 100kg max NO EXCEPTIONS

My dilema is I fluctuate between 99kg-102kg. So I've been training hard the past few days and will do so till the wednesday prior. I then plan to rest the thursday doing a fast and am also playing with the idea of a dehydration just to ensure I make weigh in at the sky dive centre (its a 200km drive, and I really don't want to be turned away).

So this seems to be the best information I have found from a bodybuilding site to help me achieve this...

The dehydrated status is set up and targeted just for the day of the competition. People do it different ways but the way I do it is to drink at least 2 gallons a day for the full week prior, about 4 gallons the day prior and then the night before the competition, about 15 hours from the stage apperance, stop drinking all together. This places the body in overdrive, pumping fluids through (trust me you pee every 20 minutes), by the time your body makes the adjustment to try to retain fluids its too late it's already flushed itself dry. This, I believe is the easiest and healthiest way to draw the fluid out, your body is only in that dehydrated state for about 14 or so hours.

Keep in mind this is a once off attempt, I am just trying to achieve it the healthiest way possible. I will be able to rehydrate/eat the second I've weighed in under.

So what do you think? Complete madness or go for gold?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    This is just my opinion, but if I were going to jump out of an airplane, I'd want to be completely healthy, alert, and not in a state induced by dehydration. Why don't you just try to drop some weight instead of dehydrating yourself?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Damiana. Losing the weight "normally" is probably best.
    Many boxers do what you've described to make weight for a fight, but it's not ideal, and in a professional fight, there's 24 hours between weigh-in and the actual fight. They use that time to eat and replenish their bodies so that they don't feel like crap for the fight.
    If your weigh in is right before you sky dive, then you won't have time to replenish, and you may feel foggy and weak.
    Next time around, lose the weight normally so you're not scrambling at the last minute.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    As an x-wrestler with 16+ years experience in crash weight loss here it is....If you have to be AT the weight you speak of at the time of jump dehydration should be your last choice. Being dehydrated makes you weaker and less alert than even fasting for a couple days would. So no, I don't think thats a good idea. I'd rather be hydrated and just not eat for a day or two (or just minimize intake). Now, if it was like the matches I use to be in where you have 1-2 hrs to rehydrate after weigh ins that is a whole different story because you can easily rehydrate and be up to snuff quicker than you can assimilate nutrients. Sounds like you need to be AT that weight though to be within the realms of the equipment standards (i.e. your not too heavy for the para-shoot)....

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I guess I'll just keep exercising and eating smaller for a few days. I've been on the 100kg plateau for months now. If I go into a fast halfway through the day before (Thursday) then hopefully I should be right on the friday. Will keep hydrated. Let you know how I get on

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Apparently you haven't been reading any of the 'potato' threads...

If you eat only potatoes, no oils or fat added, baked or boiled, with just salt and spices, you should lose 1/2 - 1 pound a day.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Apparently you haven't been reading any of the 'potato' threads...

If you eat only potatoes, no oils or fat added, baked or boiled, with just salt and spices, you should lose 1/2 - 1 pound a day.
    yeah I read them and did consider it I just wasn't sure how my body would respond and don't like the idea of packing on 1/2 -1 pound a day rather than losing it when I'm so borderline to the weigh requirement in only a few days.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    If you eat 3 medium potatoes (approx 250grams each) a day, nothing else, for 3 or 4 day, I can guarantee you will lose about 1 or 2 kg in that time. I will refund the total cost* of your trip if you don't.

*up to the price of 3 potatoes

ladandrewe is offline Junior Member
    They use that time to eat and replenish their bodies so that they don't feel like crap for the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    If you eat 3 medium potatoes (approx 250grams each) a day, nothing else, for 3 or 4 day, I can guarantee you will lose about 1 or 2 kg in that time. I will refund the total cost* of your trip if you don't.

*up to the price of 3 potatoes
    Lol. It's more the embaressment and self esteem issues with being turned away that I'm worried about dealing with then the cost of the trip.

How do you feel after 4 days of nothing but potato?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast