Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturated Fat Makes Me So Tired - WTH page

FireForLunch is offline Junior Member

Saturated Fat Makes Me So Tired - WTH

Shop Now
    I have been paleo primal for a couple years - usually (80/20) but I decided to get strict a few weeks ago because the sugar binges were getting way out of hand I was completely addicted to sugar.

So I completely quit sugar on 10/30/12 (even fruit for a while). I eat a huge amount of vegies though and a large sweet potato,

I have noticed when I eat a really fatty piece of meat or something like coconut paleo bread that I just feel wiped out.

I have tested this multiple times since I started and I can tell you for sure that it's the saturated fat.

I remember I used to have the same feeling when I would make bacon then cook scrambled eggs in the bacon grease.

I believe it's saturated fat that is causing the problem because when I cook with olive oil and use plenty of it I don't get the really tired feeling.

I have been thinking maybe I'm not yet fat adapted but I don't think that's it because I can easily skip a couple meals and feel pretty good (even have a little more energy than normal).

A friend who started eating paleo/primal a few months ago says that he thinks that I'm allergic to the saturated fat.

His opinion is that it binds to the intestine wall and blocks nutrients.

Any input would be greatly appreciated - pretty frustrated because fatty foods are what make the NO sugar thing bearable and everyone else seems to be raving about the energy from saturated fats and I'm feeling just the opposite.

thanks,
    John

fateater is offline Member
    I don't know... I get tired from eating coconut flour products, perhaps because it is highly processed. And even coconut butter or coconut cream, I'm noticing I'm tired afterwards. Whereas a hunk of fresh coconut meat, don't feel tired at all.

I don't experience that after meat though.

Perhaps it is the food combination that is causing the tiredness? You mentioned paleo coconut bread... What are you eating that chunk of fatty meat with?

Thanks for responding, the fatty meet is always with some veggies, beans, brussle sprouts etc cooked in some kind of oil or bacon fat.

I'm not eating fruit right now but when I was eating fruit I would sometimes have some berries for breakfast with the eggs and bacon and bacon fat and the tiredness was there then as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fateater View Post
    I don't know... I get tired from eating coconut flour products, perhaps because it is highly processed. And even coconut butter or coconut cream, I'm noticing I'm tired afterwards. Whereas a hunk of fresh coconut meat, don't feel tired at all.

I don't experience that after meat though.

Perhaps it is the food combination that is causing the tiredness? You mentioned paleo coconut bread... What are you eating that chunk of fatty meat with?

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friendofGod View Post
    Thanks for responding, the fatty meet is always with some veggies, beans, brussle sprouts etc cooked in some kind of oil or bacon fat.

I'm not eating fruit right now but when I was eating fruit I would sometimes have some berries for breakfast with the eggs and bacon and bacon fat and the tiredness was there then as well.
    Hate to say it but beans are not primal. Not at ALL. They contain quite a bit of carbs, anti-nutrients, and are known causes of IBS.

There is a reason that Mark advises us not to consume them regularly. It very well could be the beans that are throwing you off. I hate to say it when it seems like you enjoy your beans, but I'd advise cutting them all together outright and then reevaluate.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Hate to say it but beans are not primal. Not at ALL. They contain quite a bit of carbs, anti-nutrients, and are known causes of IBS.

There is a reason that Mark advises us not to consume them regularly. It very well could be the beans that are throwing you off. I hate to say it when it seems like you enjoy your beans, but I'd advise cutting them all together outright and then reevaluate.
    Unless friend of God means green beans...?

I think it is understood that after a large meal that one will naturally feel sluggish - it's time for a nap.

But I wouldn't know what else to suggest. I don't get tired from eating anything with saturated fat in particular, unless I just ate a giant plate of food!
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Yes i meant green beans should have made that clear

Its not a sluggish type of tired its almost like a flu like type of tired

Dont feel it on a big meal of lean meet and veggies with olive oil but i do feel it on lean meet and veggies with coconut oil (which is all saturated fat)

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Unless friend of God means green beans...?

I think it is understood that after a large meal that one will naturally feel sluggish - it's time for a nap.

But I wouldn't know what else to suggest. I don't get tired from eating anything with saturated fat in particular, unless I just ate a giant plate of food!

fateater is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friendofGod View Post
    Yes i meant green beans should have made that clear

Its not a sluggish type of tired its almost like a flu like type of tired

Dont feel it on a big meal of lean meet and veggies with olive oil but i do feel it on lean meet and veggies with coconut oil (which is all saturated fat)
    Maybe you are sensitive to coconut? Have you considered omitting all coconut products from your diet for a week or two, and then watching carefully what happens this first time you have some coconut oil, say, for the first time again?

Thank u for your input.

I thought i stated in my first post but maybe not - i have the same problem when i eat fatty meats and no coconut is involved

Quote Originally Posted by fateater View Post
    Maybe you are sensitive to coconut? Have you considered omitting all coconut products from your diet for a week or two, and then watching carefully what happens this first time you have some coconut oil, say, for the first time again?

Paleobird Guest
    It sounds to me like you are experiencing the low carb flu. Do a search on that term. Lots of threads on it. I don't think the sat-fat is the cause, I think it is carb/sugar withdrawal.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I would be careful cooking in in olive oil. You must keep the cooking temperature low or you will create an unhealthy change in the olive oil. Personally I saute everything in coconut oil, butter or lard. Keep in mind we are all unique, so find out what works for you. We can all give you suggestions but ultimately you will have to determine what works best for you. I suggest doing the Whole 30 program to start with, this will help you identify what foods work and don't work for you. Here's a link - Whole9 | Let us change your life. | Category Archive | Whole30 - Good luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast