Thread: Ketosis page

Rich Capalbo is offline Member

Ketosis

Primal Fuel
    I haven't seen an answer to my question: What is a typical reading for a Keto Strip when one is fat burning?

I'm eating about 60-80 Grams of carbs a day. Keto strip reads 15-30.

Paleobird Guest
    You probably need to get under 50/day in order to really get ketosis going. Ketostix are fairly accurate as you transition into ketosis but then they become less so in the long term because your body becomes more adept at actually burning the ketones instead of passing them out so there is less to measure.

The only really consistent way to measure is with a blood meter. The same kind that diabetic people use to measure glucose levels.

bluechip is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You probably need to get under 50/day in order to really get ketosis going. Ketostix are fairly accurate as you transition into ketosis but then they become less so in the long term because your body becomes more adept at actually burning the ketones instead of passing them out so there is less to measure.

The only really consistent way to measure is with a blood meter. The same kind that diabetic people use to measure glucose levels.
    You are right on!! I was tracking carbs per day versus ketone stick results vs blood glucose to figure out how my body responds to a 50 gram carbs per day and I found after 3 weeks the ketone level starts to drop slowly. To keep it up I had to reduce the number of carbs per day. I found that at 20 net carbs per day I could stay in ketosis longer before it started dropping but needed to fast more to get ketone levels up. I think fasting is just as important to ketosis as eating a low to ultra low carb diet.
    Regards,
    ~ Chris