Thread: Another deadlift check + squats page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Another deadlift check + squats

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have received some good feedback on my previous form check.
    I have been able to lessen my hip drive on the deadlift a little, but I cannot get rid of the early knee lockout.

I have even deloaded 40-50lbs and form didn't change. I don't know how to solve this..
    squat:
    Billie trips balls

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    The deadlift looks better to me.

I could use more "knees out: on the squat. You can never have enough. But the depth is good, your gaze is good, and toe angle looks okay as far as I can tell. Can't you ask someone to hold the camera? I find I have better luck when the camera is a behind me at a 45 degree angle rather than in front.

I also think you need to stop preventatively deloading. Your form needs minor tweaks, not complete re-learning. Keep that weight moving up. Both on the bar and on your skinny little frame. Speaking of which, I posted some relevant information n your log on the other forum.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    The DL is better. On the first rep, you're letting your butt come up before your shoulders do. Again, your form on the way down looks great. If you could maintain those some angles between your hips/knees/etc on the way up, you'd be golden.

Reps two and three are better. You maintain your back angle more on the way up.

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    I'm not telling you what to do, but for me looking UP towards the ceiling during squatting helps my form out a lot. Cheers and happy squatting

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    The deadlift looks better to me.

I could use more "knees out: on the squat. You can never have enough. But the depth is good, your gaze is good, and toe angle looks okay as far as I can tell. Can't you ask someone to hold the camera? I find I have better luck when the camera is a behind me at a 45 degree angle rather than in front.

I also think you need to stop preventatively deloading. Your form needs minor tweaks, not complete re-learning. Keep that weight moving up. Both on the bar and on your skinny little frame. Speaking of which, I posted some relevant information n your log on the other forum.
    Can you explain deloading?

thx

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    deloading=taking weight off of the bar
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Quote Originally Posted by BeatlesFan View Post
    I'm not telling you what to do, but for me looking UP towards the ceiling during squatting helps my form out a lot. Cheers and happy squatting
    Gadsie has read Starting Strength, and his gaze is where it should be according to that protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles
    Can you explain deloading
    Yeah, it means decreasing the amount of weight you're lifting, basically. The program I follow has a "deload week" every 4th week where you lift a lower percentage of your 1RM. The program Gadsie is (actually not) doing says to deload once you miss a weight for 3 consecutive workouts. One reason I give him a hard time and say he's not doing the program is that he's deloading preventatively, by too great an increment, for what amounts to form mintuiae.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Gadsie has read Starting Strength, and his gaze is where it should be according to that protocol.

Yeah, it means decreasing the amount of weight you're lifting, basically. The program I follow has a "deload week" every 4th week where you lift a lower percentage of your 1RM. The program Gadsie is (actually not) doing says to deload once you miss a weight for 3 consecutive workouts. One reason I give him a hard time and say he's not doing the program is that he's deloading preventatively, by too great an increment, for what amounts to form mintuiae.
    I have deloaded extremely once. This was also necessary because my hips were hurting intensly, either from squats or deadlifts. Now I'm back at that same weight but without pain. The other times I have deloaded were simply according to the rules. Oh and btw, I have checked my weight gain and calorie intake. I found out my maintenance is around 2600 calories. I'm eating 5000 or more. Can't be too little correct?
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I have deloaded extremely once. This was also necessary because my hips were hurting intensly, either from squats or deadlifts. Now I'm back at that same weight but without pain. The other times I have deloaded were simply according to the rules. Oh and btw, I have checked my weight gain and calorie intake. I found out my maintenance is around 2600 calories. I'm eating 5000 or more. Can't be too little correct?
    Yes, it can be too little. For you on Starting Strength, it is certainly too little. Try to double it, at least until the second time you have to buy all new pants.

As I've told you elsewhere, I'm twice your age (which is less conducive to growth), and I'm doing a program that's inherently less conducive to growth than Starting Strength. I've put on 25 lbs. in 2 months. You've stated that you're gaining at a rate of 5 lbs. per 2 months. You should be outpacing me 5 to 1, not the other way around, because you have more potential to gain. You're a true novice, while I started my current program as a borderline intermediate. Go read this, and stop worrying about CICO. Your job is to worry only about CI, as many as you can get at the moment:

Starting Strength.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatlesFan View Post
    that's bad for your cervical spine and maintaining tension in the rest of your back
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe