Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me figure this digestive mystery. Warning…TMI page

CJ4400 is offline Member

Help me figure this digestive mystery. Warning…TMI

Shop Now
    I’ve posted on this before but I am probably the few folks out there that actually have a problem going #2 since going Paleo/Primal. At first, it was great! Probably because of the sudden increase in fat after having gone from little fat to 100g fat! However, since then I’ve...adjusted? and had to rely on physillium, fiber pills, and digestive enzymes to help me go…

What I DID notice was that when I have the occasional granola or buckwheat pancake for brunch or while on vacation, I have absolutely no problem going! What gives?

Isn’t it bad to rely on enzymes/betaine forever? If I decide to get things checked out by a doc what types of checks can s/he do to pinpoint the problem here to help things get moving along?

Thanks!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Have you read all the information helpfully put on his website by the crazy Russian?

He says that psyllium, high fiber, etc., are an addiction and it's hard to get the system working right without a careful protocol to stop using them as a crutch.

More than you ever wanted to know about poo. Matters have gone better for me since reading his website and his book "Fiber Menace."

http://www.gutsense.org/

Some of what he says about grains, fruits, and vegetables fits in pretty well with Primal ideas.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    I remember reading that fiber seems to promote intestinal motility in part due to mechanical damage to the gut's wall. This friction would stimulate the production of mucus and improve peristalsis.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating enough greens? Cause seriously, I have the opposite issue at times when I eat far to much of the green stuff.

CJ4400 is offline Member
    Thanks everyone. I'll have to check out that website!

@ elorajade: I think I am eating enough greens. Sometimes I eat two BAS a day. One for lunch and one for dinner! Other days it's steamed cabbage with my protein.

Maybe I should switch it up to broccoli?

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    If you are eating dairy, please stop for a few days/weeks to see if that helps. I was on PB for about 5 weeks (and oh-so-constipated) before seriously cutting back on dairy, and it's made a world of difference! I still get a splash of cream, a pat of butter, or a bit of super-dark chocolate, but no more yogurt and cheese for me!

CJ4400 is offline Member
    Nope! Not eating ANY dairy at all. I don't even use butter at home, but instead use a lot of EVOO or CO.

I think I will seriously try to up the veggies even more. Maybe switching the *type* of veggies will be effective. For example, organic salad greens are probably less "dense" than say broccoli...right?

CJ4400 is offline Member
    Oh! I do remember when I first started eating super dark chocolate my system definitely responded. Unfortunately I think my system also adapted far too well

fit4lifegal is offline Member
    Same problem - no dairy, either...though I had issues before, also.

I think I may need to drink more water... also, I drink Lacy Le Beau tea... which is kind of overkill... but does the job and gets things moving again.

CJ4400 is offline Member
    @fit4lifegal: I just googled and isn't Senna basically a laxative? Do you take it everyday?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast