Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your take on dairy? page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

your take on dairy?

Primal Fuel
    I'm slowly replacing the legumes and rice in my diet with more coconut, fish, meat, eggs, and dairy. We get raw milk here, and I can tolerate it (I'm sensitive to pasteurized milk). I also consume curd and cheese almost daily. Actually I find dairy addictive, especially milk and cheese, a bit similar to how wheat and legumes are for me, so am wondering whether it's good for me? I don't have this addictive feeling to fish, eggs, meat.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I do lots of local, pastured, organic, minimally pasteurized dairy (milk, butter, cheese, cream). I have no problems with it and consider it excellent nutrition.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Lots of Vitamin K2 is important to my effort to reverse CVD. Grassfed dairy is my favourite source
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Neely is offline Member
    Dairy is one of those paleo/primal grey areas and usually comes down to individual preference. Personally I eat a little dairy such as cream in one coffee a day; the odd bit of cheese etc and that works for me.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I'm not too sensitive to pasteurized milk, but the homogenized stuff is vile. Pint's worth a day, at most, before I see problems. Thankfully, most dairy products here are pasteurized but not homogenized, so I can have them. I enjoy them and find it hard to boost my kcals without butter or yoghurt (I seem to use fat more efficiently than carbs/starches). Cheaper to get grass-fed, too. I'd just recommend cutting it out or lowering it to see if you feel better without it. If you're pretty much the same, go for it!

Aili is offline Senior Member
    I am 61. We have had local, raw dairy for a year or so, getting cheese, milk and yogurt every 2 weeks. I have enjoyed it a lot, BUT last week, for some reason I had a dairy binge (several times a day for a week) including store-bought Greek yogurt and ice-cream. At the time I did not notice anything real different because I have had chronic sinus issues for years, including constant post-nasal drip. Towards the end of the week, however, I began to get a sore throat and tight feeling in my chest. It got worse to the point where my voice was affected and I would get dry coughing fits and I felt tired. When the chest congestion broke, I coughed a lot, mainly in the morning, and was surprised (yuck factor coming up) to see that I was upchucking from my lungs...pure white chunks of cottage cheese-like substance. Googling it, it seemed that the dairy binge had been the culprit. So, no dairy for a week now...breathing getting much better, coughing infrequent. Has it been all these years that dairy, even when intake was moderate AND the best possible dairy, has been the culprit for my PNAR (Perennial Non-Allergic Rhinitis)? I hope so because I would finally have THE answer I need to unclog my system.
    Last edited by Aili; 11-17-2012 at 08:45 AM.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    I found this to be the case with me. I have had to eliminate all dairy to avoid constant sinus drain. It has been extremely difficult for me as I grew up in the cheese-head state (Wisconsin). Habits are sometimes hard to break.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

Catrin is online now Senior Member
    I've found I do better with as little dairy as possible. I do still use cream in my coffee, and the occasional bit of yummy goat cheese but that is about it. I consumed several gallons of skim milk weekly prior to going Primal/Paleo in August and I think my body is thanking me. I am still concerned about calcium however...am considering supplementation but I understand that is problematic as well.

It IS hard to say no to dairy!

Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    I found this to be the case with me. I have had to eliminate all dairy to avoid constant sinus drain. It has been extremely difficult for me as I grew up in the cheese-head state (Wisconsin). Habits are sometimes hard to break.
    It is hard to break because dairy was / is a comfort food for me, my go-to food stuff for a snack.BUT, I'll be searching for ways to do without. A good friend is completely dairy-free and paleo so I will talk to her about what she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've found I do better with as little dairy as possible. I do still use cream in my coffee, and the occasional bit of yummy goat cheese but that is about it. I consumed several gallons of skim milk weekly prior to going Primal/Paleo in August and I think my body is thanking me. I am still concerned about calcium however...am considering supplementation but I understand that is problematic as well.

Well for me, it looks as if I need to be totally away from dairy due to it being like an addictive substance for me. Calcium can be from Bok Choy and other vegetables. From dairy, it is not that available from my understanding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast