Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: your take on dairy? page 2

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've mostly stopped drinking milk, even though I do fairly decent with raw milk. Instead now I have homemade raw kefir every day, and eat raw cheeses often
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

HanKu is offline Junior Member
    When you eat the whole product it shouldn't be a problem; lots of fats and protein in it, you won't overeat easily. Generally replacing legumes and rice with the stuff you mention is a good switch assuming you're not doing a lot of cardio. Then I'd keep some benign carbs in your diet like (sweet) potato's, root vegetables and rice (assuming you do not trigger any immune response with any of these).

I recognize the 'addictive' aspect of dairy (products) and eating lots of it, but it doesn't do me any harm (little immune response in my body), I do not gain weight and mostly I can do with less food the next day.
    Lurker since September 2010; "Primal" (I'm not a food Nazi for myself) since March 2011. Doing well on low two-digit BF and 159lbs being 5ft.10. Gaining some weight and mass doing more strength work next to MMA cardio (so yeah I eat a lot of carbs, some days even more than 100 grams a day! )

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    Well for me, it looks as if I need to be totally away from dairy due to it being like an addictive substance for me. Calcium can be from Bok Choy and other vegetables. From dairy, it is not that available from my understanding.

Yes it can be from veggies, but from what I can tell not near enough for a 53 year old woman... Even with all of the veggies I eat I can barely get 30% of the recommended amount. Now, I understand there is some controversy about that, and I do take a magnesium supplement, but it is still somewhat concerning. I certainly get weight bearing exercise though

I get how dairy can be addictive - especially with things like cheese and ice cream.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    other than clarified butter, i basically avoid dairy.

i discovered as a vegan that I have a very mild lactose intolerance. but, because of my cholestrol issues (too low), I had to go vegetarian and consume eggs/dairy. I went to raw dairy, which had less of an effect than pasteurized (like you!).

when we moved to a more wet environment (damp), our consumption of grains and dairy, while not great, started to cause several problems. At the same time, by husband was having gut issues (which he'd been having for some months prior to moving, btu went entirely haywire once we were here in the damp). DH's naturopath suggested that he go gluten and dairy free, and we "discovered" paleo.

It took about two weeks to finish the remainder of the grains in the house (rice and quinoa, so not even "bad" gains really), and two weeks into paleo/primal, we were doing *really* well. I'd lost the puffiness, stomach upset, pad of fat on my lower abdomen, and lots of little things that I just thought i'd have to "live with" as part of my body simply because it was "what was" -- only to learn that wheat was the big culprit. Truly fascinating.

So, now that I'm grain free and dairy free (except we use clarified butter occasionally -- which doesn't have any impact on us), I feel really good. We consider these part of our very occasional 20% (ie, we go for high quality gelato every once in a while, and it's quite nice! maybe every 12-16 weeks or so, if that?).

It's great. And, we are lean as ever, which we enjoy, and have no tummy aches or problems along those lines.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    oh, and our son gets raw milk yogurt and clarified butter and organic raw cheese. he gets gluten free buns and rice balls at the kindy, too, and sometimes they make a lentil or bean soup. But he's otherwise paleo/primal at home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12