Thread: The Vegan Blues page

AFishOut is offline Junior Member

The Vegan Blues

Primal Fuel
    Hi all -

This is duplicate of a post in the Odds and Ends forum. I apologize if I've goofed on the Netiquette. I thought it might also make a good blog post as well.

Are there any suggestions dealing for the vegan (and every other random diet that is popular) blues?

Somehow I've surrounded myself with amazing, funny, intelligent women --- who have gone vegan, one within the last year or two. I also have a friend who suffers from chronic cardio on top of doing a pseudo veganism. (This friend was anthropology major of all things, can't figure out why she's gained 20 pounds despite exercising like crazy, but is convinced that her "plant based diet" is leading to better health. Arghh!!)

I'm old enough to know that talking won't do much good. They are convinced how healthy they are despite some starling evidence to the contrary. I cringe when I hear about the constant cold type illnesses and the weight gain issues. It's so frustrating. I know what's going on (including the biochemistry) but I'm powerless to prevent this self inflicted suffering.

And yeah, I know I'm taking this too seriously but it's still bumming me out. Any thoughts on how to mentally counter the vegan blues?

Amy

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    The short answer is that you probably cannot.

Long answer: Here is my standard answer to people who want to convince someone to go primal/paleo/ancestral. Most of the ideas came from this forum.

Note that you do not have to convert your friends to full primal. Mark's son is a life-long vegetarian (not sure if he is vegan. I doubt it.) Mark's wife is vegan except for having seafood a few times a week and some protein powder. Mark is fine with it. IMHO, your goal should be to get them to eat enough animal protein to maintain their health, e.g. get enough B12.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Ok, for a spammer, that was funny.

To the OP: You can lead a horse to water.....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFishOut View Post
    Hi all -

This is duplicate of a post in the Odds and Ends forum. I apologize if I've goofed on the Netiquette. I thought it might also make a good blog post as well.

Are there any suggestions dealing for the vegan (and every other random diet that is popular) blues?

Somehow I've surrounded myself with amazing, funny, intelligent women --- who have gone vegan, one within the last year or two. I also have a friend who suffers from chronic cardio on top of doing a pseudo veganism. (This friend was anthropology major of all things, can't figure out why she's gained 20 pounds despite exercising like crazy, but is convinced that her "plant based diet" is leading to better health. Arghh!!)

I'm old enough to know that talking won't do much good. They are convinced how healthy they are despite some starling evidence to the contrary. I cringe when I hear about the constant cold type illnesses and the weight gain issues. It's so frustrating. I know what's going on (including the biochemistry) but I'm powerless to prevent this self inflicted suffering.

And yeah, I know I'm taking this too seriously but it's still bumming me out. Any thoughts on how to mentally counter the vegan blues?

Amy
    Arrrggg..I hear your frustration. My daughter is vegan (she is 21). She is so unhealthy and about 100 lbs overweight. Her life is a mess and she thinks that everything is just fine. Doesn't help that her favourite auntie (my sister), is also vegan and promotes the lifestyle. My sister's 3-year old boy is also now vegan -- I have a hard time to keep my damn mouth shut through all of this.

And Friday, a good friend of our family announced that her 14 year old daughter is going vegan. I told mum, be prepared for your daughter to gain copious amounts of fat and for her muscles to atrophy into nothing, within a short period of time. I know -- the words were out before I realized it. The mom was shocked at what I said, and then asked me why. I replied that although there are a few that do vegan very well, it takes a great deal of discipline, time in the kitchen, and time being able to shop properly. All 14-year olds do not have the time, nor the discipline to eat vegan properly and thus she will resort to carb eating. Again, the mother was floored and her mouth was openly gaping. I asked her: Does your daughter currently eat 5+ lbs of vegetables daily right now? Because if she wants to be vegan, that's what she's going to have to do every single day. Again, mother was aghast.

I said, you should try to do all in your power to discuss ethical farming and maybe take your daughter around to the farms here in our province and speak with some of the farmers. There are options to becoming vegan if 'killing animals' is difficult to accept.

Anyway, I have resigned myself to the fact that my daughter is likely to pre-decease me, unless she changes her lifestyle. In the meantime, she just spent 10 days in the hospital with a severe asthma attach, and a collapsed lung. She will not listen to me when it comes to dietary advice and that she must get off wheat -- which is directly related to inflammation and asthma.

It's very frustrating when you love your kid, and there's nothing you can do to alter the path they are currently on.

Oh, one other question for those who have been very obese --- what are the odds of my 5'6, 250lb daughter ever being hired for a job? I mean, we all know that biases exist in the workplace, and I just don't know who would hire her, particularly in this difficult job market. I'm I just worrying unduly, or have any of you been in the position of being 'kindly turned away'?

Thanks/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Primal and vegan diets are not completely polar opposites, you know. I sympathize with the watching friends deteriorate from chronic cardio and grain heavy diet though. Not much you can do except hope to get some coconut oil in them.

But on a more hopeful note maybe you can encourage healthi(er) vegan eating by emphasizing the overlap between primal and vegan dishes. We both like veggies. We both like veggies a lot. Veggies all the time! Fill up your social life with so many veggie dishes the grains become secondary or forgotten! What vegan would say no to spaghetti squash spaghetti? Or red peppers dipped in baba ganoush?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Don't bother. Let them eat how they want to eat. You're all adults and capable of making your own food choices. As long as your friends are not pressuring you to convert to veganism, leave them alone.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."