Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Vegan Blues page

AFishOut is offline Junior Member

The Vegan Blues

Hi all -

Somehow I've surrounded myself with amazing, funny, intelligent women --- who have gone vegan, one within the last year or two. I also have a friend who suffers from chronic cardio on top of doing a pseudo veganism. (Doesn't understand how she gained 20 pounds, but telling the whole world how healthy she is and how she disagrees with what most people think of as healthy. *sigh*)

I'm old enough to know that talking won't do much good. They are convinced how healthy they are despite some starling evidence to the contrary. I cringe when I hear about the constant cold type illnesses and the weight gain issues. It's so frustrating. I know what's going on (including the biochemistry) but I'm powerless to prevent this self inflicted suffering.

And yeah, I know I'm taking this too seriously but it's still bumming me out. Any thoughts on how to counter the vegan blues?

Amy

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFishOut View Post
    Hi all -

Somehow I've surrounded myself with amazing, funny, intelligent women --- who have gone vegan, one within the last year or two. I also have a friend who suffers from chronic cardio on top of doing a pseudo veganism. (Doesn't understand how she gained 20 pounds, but telling the whole world how healthy she is and how she disagrees with what most people think of as healthy. *sigh*)

I'm old enough to know that talking won't do much good. They are convinced how healthy they are despite some starling evidence to the contrary. I cringe when I hear about the constant cold type illnesses and the weight gain issues. It's so frustrating. I know what's going on (including the biochemistry) but I'm powerless to prevent this self inflicted suffering.

And yeah, I know I'm taking this too seriously but it's still bumming me out. Any thoughts on how to counter the vegan blues?

Amy
    avoid them
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

AFishOut is offline Junior Member
    If only life were that simple. (Although I'm seriously thinking about it for the friend who went vegan in this last year for other reasons.) These are otherwise intelligent funny ladies that I connect with and it's not just me - we homeschool and my kids seriously connect with their kids. Neither one has tried to "push" vegan or vegetarianism on us. The only person I know who "gets" Paleo in the homeschool circle I hang with doesn't connect with me or the kids.

canio6 Guest
    If only life were that simple. (Although I'm seriously thinking about it for the friend who went vegan in this last year for other reasons.) These are otherwise intelligent funny ladies that I connect with and it's not just me - we homeschool and my kids seriously connect with their kids. Neither one has tried to "push" vegan or vegetarianism on us. The only person I know who "gets" Paleo in the homeschool circle I hang with doesn't connect with me or the kids.

Be happy that you are healthy and doing what is right for you. If their lifestyles do not work out for them, hope they ask what is working so well for you. As long as they are not pushing their agenda there is no reason to push yours (ours). Have fun and more importantly let your kids have fun.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    As someone who's religious beliefs (or lack thereof) have always been in the minority, I've learned one hard fact: you have to take the bad with the good. If these women are great to hang out with, who cares what they eat? Diversity, baby, diversity. If I only socialized with atheists or buddhists, I wouldn't have very many people to talk to.

ashleytadams is offline Junior Member
    I am always trying to convert people to PB. I know girls in their twenties with PCOS and diabetes...it is so sad.

I try not to waste my energy 'casting pearls before swine'. Some people just don't want to open their minds!

One person even told me that organic food was dumb, genetically modified food was safe, and that we needed to trust the federal regulatory system.

L.O.L.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Lead by example. Once they see how healthy you are, they're likely to question their own choices. If not, who cares? They're grown adults, it's their life to live. Be secretly smug if you want, but ultimately you can't lecture them into doing something they're adamantly against.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Hi all -

Amy

as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    It will be OK. Nothing you can do. It's not worth being upset over.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i'm with the take good with bad camp. and more often than not, you find way more good than bad anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast