Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Vegan Blues page 2

DavidBrennan is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    I totally relate to the OP's confusion with vegetarians, but I agree with most of the repondants here that, whatever lifestyle choices people make, it's best to just express yourself civilly and then, if they're not into it, just move along. Our first responsibility is to ourselves and families.

But....yeah, I deal with a clique of vegetarian girls. They all look ten years older than they are, they all have zero muscle density ("skinny fat" is the best thing you could say about them), and I know that all three are struggling with "irregular periods" (code for being effectively menopausal at age 33, I'm told). I suppose I'm not so much bothered by their choices (after all, I respect dudes who opt to eat Doritos and Pepsi all day long) but rather their delusion that this is "healthy", and their trust in their cult-like culture.

But I expressed myself and did my Christian duty, and I can do no more. As Robb Wolf (and common sense) say, it's way better to just invest those concerns on myself and family, not these others.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    The only reason that anyone in my social circle listens to me, is because I lost 130 lbs, they all knew me at 325 lbs, so I am the neighborhood guru on all things Paleo. I tell them what I know, encourage them to look to the experts (Mark, Robb, Nora...), and then let them be.

It's hard because I am real militant about being Paleo (mainly my family gets the brunt of that!), but we have cousins who are vegan and I don't want their crappy attitude about how people choose to eat, so I tend to keep my mouth shut unless someone asks specifically.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    At least by going vegan they are thinking about food and lifestyle and resisiting the industrial mainstream!

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    At least by going vegan they are thinking about food and lifestyle and resisiting the industrial mainstream!
    Normally, I would agree, except that the industrial mainstream gives the vegans pseudo foods like Not Dogs, Boca Burgers, vegan mayo, vegan cheese, and all the plethora of "healthy" vegetable oils.

But you are right in that they are really trying to put their health first.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFishOut View Post
    They are convinced how healthy they are despite some starling evidence to the contrary.
    Sounds like paleo. j/k

But seriously, we have like 80% in common with vegans. The 20% is a LARGE 20% for sure (WHeat vs Meat), but at least both groups care about eating healthily, and avoiding processed junk.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ladandrewe is offline Junior Member
    Not sure if playing coy

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Lead by example. Once they see how healthy you are, they're likely to question their own choices. If not, who cares? They're grown adults, it's their life to live. Be secretly smug if you want, but ultimately you can't lecture them into doing something they're adamantly against.
    +1

As an aside- awesome signature quote from an awesome show
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Normally, I would agree, except that the industrial mainstream gives the vegans pseudo foods like Not Dogs, Boca Burgers, vegan mayo, vegan cheese, and all the plethora of "healthy" vegetable oils.

But you are right in that they are really trying to put their health first.
    I never understood that fake food stuff. So much tasty veg and so many tasty ways to eat it. If you want to eat only veg then eat only veg but if you are missing meat that much that you are eating veggie burgers and dogs then ffs grab a side of bison and dig in.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I never understood that fake food stuff. So much tasty veg and so many tasty ways to eat it. If you want to eat only veg then eat only veg but if you are missing meat that much that you are eating veggie burgers and dogs then ffs grab a side of bison and dig in.
    Oh my god, yes; I see you're in Edmonton, I imagine you're familiar with Padmanadi? It's a vegetarian restaurant and I've heard so many people raving about it - finally, a vegetarian friend invited me and I figured it'd be a great opportunity to try some cool vegetable dishes and find some inspiration to cook vegetables at home. Imagine my disappointment when I saw a menu that was 90% fake meat. Of course, despite everyone saying "OMG, this GMO soy butter "chicken" tastes JUST like the real thing," all of that stuff tastes completely fake, and only someone who hasn't touched real meat in a decade could honestly think that this soy junk tastes anything like actual meat.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Oh my god, yes; I see you're in Edmonton, I imagine you're familiar with Padmanadi? It's a vegetarian restaurant and I've heard so many people raving about it - finally, a vegetarian friend invited me and I figured it'd be a great opportunity to try some cool vegetable dishes and find some inspiration to cook vegetables at home. Imagine my disappointment when I saw a menu that was 90% fake meat. Of course, despite everyone saying "OMG, this GMO soy butter "chicken" tastes JUST like the real thing," all of that stuff tastes completely fake, and only someone who hasn't touched real meat in a decade could honestly think that this soy junk tastes anything like actual meat.
    Awful isn't it...are you an Edmontonian too...seems there are a few of us here. I am fairly new hear so don't know that restaurant and it sounds like I don't want to.
    I do enjoy a good curry and have eaten at Narayanni's they are big on their vegan dishes but always have 3-4 chicken and lamb dishes. I skip the pulses but the rest of the vegie dishes are to die for and the lamb is pastured and hormone free.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12