Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More defined/visible six pack? Body Review page

drnemer is offline Member

More defined/visible six pack? Body Review

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I worked for many months to improve my abs to get a six pack. I am pretty much there. It just only looks visible when I wake up in the morning before breakfast or in my bathroom mirror.

However, I find that if I just ate in the past couple hours or ate too much the day before I get bloated or less visible definition.

But I am unsure if just cutting more fat will be the trick. Especially since I don't want to shrink overall too much.

Can anyone tell me what they would recommend. I really want that ab line down the middle and the lower one on my belly button which i can feel with my hand on my bottom right ab covered with fat.

Photo on 11-16-12 at 6.14.1PM.jpg

On the day this photo was taken had 1899 calories (normally i would have ate 2300 on a workout day, but i did not push myself to eat more that day)
    108 grams of fat, 122.5 grams of carbs, 3432.7 mg of sodium

age 21
    height 5'8
    weight: unsure b/c i don't own a scale but i lost weight since i last weighed myself which was 2 months ago and i was 152. I think i am probably 148-149.
    Last edited by drnemer; 11-17-2012 at 08:46 AM.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Why would cutting more fat help? Or do you mean adjusting your BF percentage? I don't know if you mean cutting dietary fat. Don't do that! But perhaps what you are seeing is water-retention. Do you eat a lot of salt in your foods?
    Little Saiyan

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    You'll need to lower your body fat.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    To get better six pack you just need to lower your body fat percentage. I am down to 9% body fat and my abs are very visible any time of the day. If I eat a lot of carbs then I bloat up and they are less visible, so you might want to try ketosis to cut body fat and lower your carb intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitness Wayne View Post
    To get better six pack you just need to lower your body fat percentage. I am down to 9% body fat and my abs are very visible any time of the day. If I eat a lot of carbs then I bloat up and they are less visible, so you might want to try ketosis to cut body fat and lower your carb intake.
    For a while I was nearly Ketosis. like Under 75, but I was not eating any potatoes and my leptin needed a reboot. I hit the wall and I reasoned that I could not lose more bodyfat. Now I cycle my carbs. So on Mondays and Thursdays I go more carbs while on other days i try to stay under 100.

But carbs do make me bloat. Right now I completed my first full week of Leangains as well as just starting Creatine. so maybe in time improvement would happen.

Update:
    Here is me a month ago when I was on calorie restriction and eating lower carbs. Photo on 10-18-12 at 4.34.2PM.jpg According to LoseIt I at 86.9 grams of carbs that day. The day before I had 48 because rest. I had 127 grams in fat and 2496 mg of sodium. 1748 calories
    Last edited by drnemer; 11-17-2012 at 08:42 AM.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    it's a question of lowering bodyfat, but frankly, i just wouldn't worry about it if i were you!

Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    Why would cutting more fat help? Or do you mean adjusting your BF percentage? I don't know if you mean cutting dietary fat. Don't do that! But perhaps what you are seeing is water-retention. Do you eat a lot of salt in your foods?

I do unfortunately have a lot of sodium. Ever since I stopped cutting a couple weeks ago because I was convinced that eating 1500 calories and all that cardio was not helping. I love food I hated eating so little. I decided to do LeanGains and change my workout up. NOw i eat around 2300 calories on workout days and 1800 on rest ( 4 days of workout, 3 rest)

I have completed one week of LeanGains and Creatine, not much has changed. I have photos of myself right before. I am leaner but not THAT much in the abs.

To answer you question about salt. Well, I live on a college campus. I can't cook my own food. I eat primal in the cafeteria. I eat at the Gluten Free station or the Omelette station on most meals.

I try to not eat their bacon too much because of sodium so instead I have ham. I don't add cheese to my omelets, but i do add plenty of veggies.

At the gluten free station i get either 56 oz of gluten free chicken (two boneless pieces) which add up to 320 mg in sodium. Very Recently I switched up my protein powder for one that has much less sodium, 40 mg. But I eat Steves Original Paleo Pak jerky everyday.

When I workout I need more calories, i am hungrier. The Cafeteria is usually open for a few hours per meal and closes at 8 at night. It is not always convenient for my schedule to go down to there because it is a 10 minute walk from the dorm. Plus the meal plan they provide already limits how much food i put on my plate. I go above and pay extra often if I have extra piece of meat on my plate, but I cannot afford to go down and get a second dinner.

So Jerky is probably my killer, omellets might be as well.

this week my average sodium intake per day was 2,641.3 mg, last week was 2954 mg average.

Why would cutting more fat help? Or do you mean adjusting your BF percentage? I don't know if you mean cutting dietary fat. Don't do that!
    - of course i mean cutting body fat. I have a healthy fat diet.

Sodium moderation is very difficult especially when my intake of calories is higher due to workout expenditure and following my macros. It can be a real headache to balance sodium, calories, carbs, protein, sugars...

The reason I bought jerky and eat daily is because it is tasty, nonperishable, quick easy calories and protein. The jerky is unfortunately (1000 mg)

TLDR: College makes it hard to keep sodium low. Workouts add calories I have to consume, which subsequently means more sodium. I eat jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    it's a question of lowering bodyfat, but frankly, i just wouldn't worry about it if i were you!
    Thanks. I am not worrying that much. But at times it is frustrating.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drnemer View Post
    Thanks. I am not worrying that much. But at times it is frustrating.
    I understand being frustrated at times, but Jakey is right, you're in good shape!
    Little Saiyan

Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    I understand being frustrated at times, but Jakey is right, you're in good shape!
    thanks. today i am trying to not have as little sodium hopefully i will see some difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast