Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I fasted for 4 days!!! page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've achieved a five-day fast (tea and water and yerba mate only), but I have no desire to do that again. It would not be that hard I suppose, but I am very lean now so I have no desire to drop more pounds. I do a once-weekly fast of 48-56 hours now, to help with body cleansing more than anything. I use fasting for its medically proven benefits, not really as a weightloss tool.

One interesting thing I have discovered though, is now that I've started fasting, I feel more "bogged down" if I didn't get my weekly fast in. As if I haven't given myself a chance to regenerate and refresh and detox and it's almost telling me that it's "time to fast!"

A lot of people here tout the weightloss effects of fasting, but it's about so much more as well.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    That is impressive, let us know if you put it all back on. Did it affect your thought processes?

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Is there any real purpose to fasting that long? Don't get it?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Is there any real purpose to fasting that long? Don't get it?
    Yes. You can use up some extra storage fat if you need to and drop a few lbs within a short period of time.

It also helps a lot when recovering from a cold or flu. Thats why the body naturally decreases appetite when you are sick. It gives it a chance to save energy from digestion and instead put energy into the immune system to fight the virus.

Here is what I noticed this week. I had a cold and symptoms were worse as of Tuesday. I fasted and they had gone away 100% as of Friday. I broke the fast Friday night, woke up this morning and the symptoms came back mildly.

I would argue that as far as fat loss goes, it just depends on strategy. Sometimes its easier from a strategic standpoint just to fast for a few days and knock off a few lbs of fat. It certainly beats the strategy of doing a 500 calorie deficit per day every day for months and months!

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I understand IF'ng but if you go for a long time and I have no idea what that would even mean, as far as days, do you not run the risk of slowing your metablisim? I know a lot of people, Mark Sisson, Tim Ferris (4 hour body) recommend fasting, but I don't think for extended periods.

The question I guess is...what is an extended period?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Ok, I understand IF'ng but if you go for a long time and I have no idea what that would even mean, as far as days, do you not run the risk of slowing your metablisim? I know a lot of people, Mark Sisson, Tim Ferris (4 hour body) recommend fasting, but I don't think for extended periods.

The question I guess is...what is an extended period?
    I guess there isn't a clear fine line to describe the difference.

And the answer to your other question is yes, it does slow down your metabolism after a few days, but it isn't permanent. It returns back to normal once you eat again. The thing I noticed is that I felt more energetic after the fast than I did before. Late in the fast though I felt very low in energy. I think the end result was worth it though because overall I am lighter and I feel a lot better.

The fear of the metabolism slowing down comes from mainstream marketing dogma. And it has even trickled its way into fasting literature. As an example, why do you think Martin Berkhan recommends an 8 hour eating window and not smaller? It's because he still thinks that going longer will result in the muscles melting off, even though there is no scientific evidence to support it!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I will never find the posts, but buried in that fasting thread posted earlier, are some good articles that suggest 10 days I think? 3 days to get into ketosis and then another 7 days so I was thinking if you were already in ketosis you could speed that up and do it in 7. This is in regards to housekeeping.

For weight loss, I was thinking the optimum is 3 days? But I can't be sure.

PHlopp has some outstanding fasting threads. Betorq is another one to search for his posts. He supplied the info in the other thread.
    Last edited by gopintos; 11-17-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

ez2cy,

I think the only reason why nobody noticeable recommends fasting any longer than a day or so is because it simply wouldn't sell. Everyone hears the word "fasting" and along comes fears of muscle loss, malnutrition, a slower metabolism (even resulting in weight gain), and even starvation. They would be wrote off as a quack in a heart beat!!!

But I honestly believe that what should be recommended all comes down to context, goals, and individual strategy. Fasting for any longer than a day is probably not a good idea for people of extreme leanness. And it probably isn't a good idea for older folks who don't have the hormones to easily maintain and rebuild muscle.

But for anyone with the hormones to maintain and rebuild muscle and the extra fat to shed, its definitely a viable option to try from time to time to help along the way. It definitely isn't necessary, but it is an option.

As a side note:
    Timothy Ferris has a chapter in one of his books that is meant to teach you how to become a leading expert on any topic in a month.
    Cough cough translation: don't believe everything you read or hear, even if its popular or from a "guru". Um, I mean some people are full of sh..t!!

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I will never find the posts, but buried in that fasting thread posted earlier, are some good articles that suggest 10 days I think? 3 days to get into ketosis and then another 7 days so I was thinking if you were already in ketosis you could spend that up and do it in 7. This is in regards to housekeeping.

For weight loss, I was thinking the optimum is 3 days? But I can't be sure.

PHlopp has some outstanding fasting threads. Betorq is another one to search for his posts. He supplied the info in the other thread.
    What do you mean by housekeeping?

As for the 3 day thing, I guess that would also be dependent on how much you have to lose and how quick you want to lose it. Because if you do the math, you really aren't going to lose much on a 3 day fast. For me for example, knowing rough figures of my BMR, my prediction is that I probably was only able to lose about 2 lbs of fat from that 4 day fast that I did, which is one of the reasons why I regret not stretching it out another 2 days.

On the other hand, my bet is that you could see some great results if you treated it as an intermittent thing. As an example, if you regularly ate at maintenance and you fasted every weekend for a month, that would add up to a good several lbs of fat lost. That's a lot!

On the other hand and thinking about it from a social standpoint, I typically don't ever want to go a day without eating. And that's why in my case I'd prefer to save a multi day fast for a time when I'm sick or what ever and I have a good handful of days away from other people who would normally tempt me.

Other than that, I could definitely see such as ideal for an emergency case for someone who really needs to lose the fat for health reasons. As an example, I remember one guy from work who's but was as wide as a stove. He had a wake up call one day when his blood pressure went sky high and he had to be taken away in an ambulance. A few months later I saw him and he looked like a new man. I think he was doing weekend fasts along with some serious dieting, and he lost a lot of weight!!! And in that case I believe that was the right thing to do!!!

Paleobird Guest
    By "housekeeping" she is referring to autophagy. Do a google on that. Fasting is not only about weight loss.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast