Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a binge eater? page 3

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It would be helpful if you could post your daily meals so we could get a better idea of what you're eating.

Are you eating in the lower carb ranges? When I get cravings for fruit and sugar it's usually because I have been eating enough starchy carbs. Eating sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, white rice, etc., regularly has killed craving to go crazy on sugar.

Ellie_Miller is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mottainai View Post
    Ellie_Miller- Thank you for sharing your story as well. You're right, of course, it is all up to me! It's just actually wanting to make that decision that's the hard part. When it's messing with my life, I want to quit it, but when it's not, well, it's easy to just fall into the trap of thinking I can just keep on doing it without overmuch consequence. Thanks for all your suggestions!
    I had a tough time with that too but you can do it! : )

Ellie_Miller is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    so I could be eating the most amazing diet, and an unwinnable need to binge could still spring out of nowhere at any moment.
    I can totally relate to this. I suggested 5-HTP in my earlier post on this thread but at one point, it didn't do anything for me. I was taking about 300mg a day for a couple weeks and I was STILL binging. It can be so crazy sometimes....

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Try the potato diet! Can't binge eat on that sucker....

Also, I'm not even kidding. I used to be a binge eater.

also, inb4 I get flamed to smithereens

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm not going to mock you on that. I hate potatoes myself, and I'd starve to death on the ppd because I'd just stop eating after a few bites.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    I really feel for you guys dealing with this. I can't imagine binge eating --- never experienced it. Sounds to me like it's a real tough one to manage. Good on all of you for doing the best you can in taking control of your health here on the the PB. You guys have my admiration and respect. Keep moving forward.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I really feel for you guys dealing with this. I can't imagine binge eating --- never experienced it. Sounds to me like it's a real tough one to manage. Good on all of you for doing the best you can in taking control of your health here on the the PB. You guys have my admiration and respect. Keep moving forward.
    Nothing to feel sorry for! I like being able to consume massive quantities. Saves me time. As long as it's real food and it isn't harming me, why is binging bad? Feels great. No reason to stop.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Lorena is offline Junior Member
    I have a problem with bingeing as well. It's always at night and usually on cookies. It's the same for me as far as I don't have any cravings during the day (except my morning coffee), but then after dinner/evening....everything hits the fan. I recently read the Diet Cure and bought some of the supplements she suggests. Today is the day that I'm starting. She suggests taking L-Glutamine for cravings. That seems to work. However I notice that as the evening comes on, I don't even want to be good--it's always , I'll start tomorrow. And then I wake up the next morning feeling awful, hating myself. Anyway, her book is worth reading and I've heard that many people have found success.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I binged on Source yougurts when I was in that weight range. In my case I did not have enough protein and fat in my diet. Unfortunately, while you are younger than i am, this weight range is also very hard to sustain, and the body fights hard to make you fatter. hence, binges. In a way, it is not a disease that you are experiencing, it is the healthy reaction of the ancient brain that thinks you are too thin to carry and give birth to a health fat baby in the middle of an Arctic desert during the famine....

Just like Ellie-M, I found 5HTP to be helpful, but not curing, and that IF is triggering bingeing for me - or at least I can't stop eating.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-19-2012 at 06:37 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mottainai View Post
    I'd never think to eat it if it were just sitting around....
    So, what if you kept it in the house and it stopped being this big forbidden thing? It's the only way I can deal with chocolate - have it in the house and know that I'm allowed to have it if I really want it. It means I can eat a couple of squares a day and be satisfied. If I didn't keep chocolate in the house, I'd get a craving then when I tried to stop myself from eating it would get more and more obsessed until I had to go out, buy a huge bar and would end up eating the lot.

I used to binge and it was a purely psychological thing for me, I'm sure. I'm in the UK and took part in an online 'weightloss' programme (not a diet, but something that looked at changing habits) which did a huge amount to change the way I feel about food and myself. It took a long time, but eventually I decriminalised food - stopped thinking about it as 'good' and 'bad' and instead started to think about how different foods made me feel after I'd eaten them. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I wanted to eat healthy food because it made me feel good. Bingeing made me feel good for seconds, but then comes the hours and days of feeling like cr*p, the guilt, the feeling fat, ugly and unlovable. Over time the urge left - for which I am eternally grateful and I honestly can't remember the last time I had a fully blown binge.

Going fully primal/paleo is a great starting point. I do sometimes think about having 'cheat days' but when it comes down to it, I feel so good on primal, and know that eating rubbish will make me feel rubbish, that I just can't bring myself to do it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast