Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: choosing the lesser of two evils page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like fried foods. I fry my squid in avocado oil and it's freakin' yummy - and I got help here at MDA, so the flour I use is pure tapioca. I'm not a big sweets freak. So, I guess push come to shove, I'd opt for fried. I don't know if that's the "right" choice, but it's what I'd do. Skipping dessert is socially acceptable in most circles.

Picturedragon is offline Junior Member
    For those talking about grocery stores, I suspect that the question was more about social eating, as in what to do when you have a business lunch in a restaurant or coffee shop with other people.
    My choice would be to go for a meal rather than a dessert. Most restaurants have a meal option that will not leave you feeling too bad, if the batter on your fried chicken is too thick for your tastes it can be discreetly peeled off and you still have meat to gnaw on. Desserts, on the other hand, are harder to find without ingredients that will make you deeply regret the choice.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picturedragon View Post
    For those talking about grocery stores, I suspect that the question was more about social eating, as in what to do when you have a business lunch in a restaurant or coffee shop with other people.
    My choice would be to go for a meal rather than a dessert. Most restaurants have a meal option that will not leave you feeling too bad, if the batter on your fried chicken is too thick for your tastes it can be discreetly peeled off and you still have meat to gnaw on. Desserts, on the other hand, are harder to find without ingredients that will make you deeply regret the choice.
    Even he shittiest of restaurants offers a salad with chicken option.....Wendy's and McDonalds offer those options. And hold the poison oil slick dressing on the side (ditch it on your way to the washroom). And personally, I don't apologize to anyone for my healthy eating habits. I gave up a long time ago trying to make other people feel good about their choices. Either fast, or opt for a salad and give up the guilt.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthBeachPrimal View Post
    Sweets without wheats is the best form of cheats!
    Nice rhyme, I like that.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Even he shittiest of restaurants offers a salad with chicken option.....Wendy's and McDonalds offer those options. And hold the poison oil slick dressing on the side (ditch it on your way to the washroom). And personally, I don't apologize to anyone for my healthy eating habits. I gave up a long time ago trying to make other people feel good about their choices. Either fast, or opt for a salad and give up the guilt.
    I would tend to agree, but many times the chicken on a salad is injected with all kinds of crap. No matter what, unless you have the label in front of you, there's no way of knowing what's in food you didn't cool yourself.

I had a grilled chicken breast at KFC once early on, and I felt like crap. Just a plain grilled chicken breast, which is about as simple of an idea as you can get, but the ingredients were:

Fresh Chicken Marinated with: Salt, Sodium Phosphate, and Monosodium Glutamate Seasoned with: Maltodextrin, Salt, Bleached Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Palm Oil, Natural Flavor, Garlic Powder, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt), Chicken Fat, Chicken Broth, Autolyzed Yeast, Beef Powder, Rendered Beef Fat, Extractives of Turmeric, Dehydrated Carrot, Onion Powder, and Not More Than 2% Each of Calcium Silicate and Silicon Dioxide Added as Anticaking Agents.
    Contains Wheat and Soy.
    Scary.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    given those two choices, I'd choose fried...
    I don't have a sweet tooth (remember the Wendy's "Ranch Tooth" commercial? I identified with that), and as someone pointed out, it's socially acceptable to skip dessert... I also like crunchy things... but yeah, sometimes the smell of that oil is just... ugh.

BUT... I don't really see why you can't make a better choice than fried or sweet.

I live in a HUGE city - and really, most of the "grocery stores" do not have real food except for the less-junky junk they put on sandwiches... the "salad bars" often have some good things alongside pre-dressed Caesar (with crutons), corn, edamame, sweetened cranberries, various crunchies of ill-repute, usually CAFO and/or processed meat, etc...

also, FYI
    McDonalds Grilled Chicken Fillet
    Allergens: SOY LECITHIN
    Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor, sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN.

Other restaurants' "grilled chicken" contains similar junk.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    RitaRose and PrimalMama, thank you for posting that. I continue to be surprised at primal folks who think it's ok to go fast food places as long as they throw away the bread. McD is probably the largest reason why rainforest land has been turned into CAFO stockyards and then they cook it with the cheapest, nastiest crap they can. Turning a chicken filet into crap takes even more "talent" than turning ground beef into crap.

I've never done the research on what goes into their food because I haven't eaten at KFC or McD in decades. Your posts were both a revelation and a confirmation that I'm not crazy. (Not in my attitude toward fast food anyway.)

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    "Lucky" for us, McD's has their ingredients on the website... You can also look for allergens - even if they don't list ingredients, most companies list whether their product contains wheat, soy, egg, dairy, nuts, peanuts... but as you can see from my McD's example above, they don't usually count soy oil as "containing soy."

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I would tend to agree, but many times the chicken on a salad is injected with all kinds of crap. No matter what, unless you have the label in front of you, there's no way of knowing what's in food you didn't cool yourself.

I had a grilled chicken breast at KFC once early on, and I felt like crap. Just a plain grilled chicken breast, which is about as simple of an idea as you can get, but the ingredients were: Scary.
    Thank you, Rita Rose for just having cured me of any lingering desire I once felt for a bucket of extra crispy KFC. Ewwwwwwww.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthBeachPrimal View Post
    Sweets without wheats is the best form of cheats!
    That's what I eats!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast