Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting on an empty stomach? page

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Any thought on lifting in a fasted state? Like, an hour after waking up after a brief warm-up?

I figure it's sorta like grok hunting first thing in the morning...

good for: fat burning, muscle building or not at all/avoid at all costs?

Clint is offline Senior Member

There's a lot of research on this subject that shows that lifting heavy weight in a fasted state increases the release of growth hormones in the body. This is a good thing.

So, in general, it could be to your benefit to lift while in a fasted state.

I saw, though alot seem to advocate either a meal 2 hours before or a high-carb meal after hmm.

What if Grok got unlucky ei?

Am so trying this tomorrow *crosses fingers

freshbakedpi is offline Junior Member

I think, "all the advice" aside, that it totally depends on how you do.

Personally I always strength train on an "empty stomach." Since I train at night I'm only "fasted" for 5-6 hours. If I have eaten 2 hours prior, even 3-4 hours prior, no matter how little I've eaten I'm too full = I have less energy & throw up a little ;o)

My body feels awesome during and after a workout with no immediate "fuel." I also know you're "supposed to eat to refuel just after a workout," but that's something my body rejects too (as is breakfast first thing in the morning).

I end up fasting 5-6 hours prior, 1-2 hours during, 8 hours sleeping. I'd never added it up before, but I guess that's at least a 12 hour fast per day. Weird!

I think it mostly depends on your body. Advice is pretty irrelevant if it doesn't work for you.

AdamKayce is offline Junior Member

Yep; it's all about what works for you. I work out first thing in the morning, always on an empty stomach, and it works great for me.

I do a thorough warm-up, of course, taking care to make sure my spine is ready for any heavy lifting I'm going to do; lots of dynamic stretching, walking, etc.

I'm a "morning person", too, so it works for me. I actually can't stand working out in the afternoon/evenings any more; I just don't feel fresh then. It's like my mind prefers the blank slate of the morning.

I am also a fan of it. I had a trainer from my workout forum lambaste me for doing it, so I started to eat before and after and not only did it make me sick, but my fat-loss results were a tad stalled too.

I just 'feel' better on a fasted workout, even when lifting really heavy weights. Like I have even more energy.

Mark did say that those 'Ketones' are little power-houses of energy, compared to the normal glucose that your body would consume from your diet instead...right?

Dollface is offline Member

I've been experimenting with this a little lately. I find my workouts are great in the morning on an empty stomach, if I workout after food I feel I can't lift as heavy and can feel a bit nauseated.

If I workout 5-6hours after lunch so 6pm ish I feel it's the best workout I ever have and I feel very energized afterwards then cook myself dinner. Plus side of that is everyone is home having dinner and watching the news so the gym is practically empty

Just finished! Sharp decline in output around the 40 minute mark though, not that's that a bad thing...

Any preference on a post-workout meal to optimize fatloss? I just had 600g of beef round + flaxseed oil.

Dream Guest

Like the first response mentioned, there is a lot of research to show benefits to working out in a fasted state.

Personally, I have exercised in a fasted state for over 6 months. I'm usually not in a rush to eat after the workout, either.

And finally, IMO, you should be exercising with weights (safely) in a manner that is so intense you'll throw up if you have ANYthing in your stomach, even a small bit of fruit.

Well, imo, and with best results in mind. So, it makes sense to eat with nothing in there.

-Anthony

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I ususally eat some fruit and almonds about 90 min prior... but that's just me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast