Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me with keto macronutrient ratios for 2 people :) page

thex1138 is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Please help me with keto macronutrient ratios for 2 people :)

Shop Now
    Hey guys! So I've been researching Keto the past week. I notice there's a lot of conflicting info on what a good macronutrient ratio is.. So, I was wondering if you guys could give 2 separate carb/fat/protein ratios for 2 different people..

The first person is my friend. She 285lbs, 70% body fat. No intense exercise, so no need for carb refeeds.

The second is me, about 150lbs male, 6', not sure of body fat.. Somewhat thin. Also no intense exercise, so no carb refeeds.

I'm doing this for health purposes (get rid of anxiety/depression, get more energy, more focus, etc).

She's doing it for weight loss.

Anyone have a good macronutrient ratio to follow for us, or any other advice? Thanks

Paleobird Guest
    I do keto to control my epilepsy. Works well for a lot of neurological problems.

Take a look at the AtkinsForSeizures.com site. They recommend IIRC 60f/30-35p/5-10c.

You also might find the advice of Dr Peter Attia on his blog "The Eating Academy" helpful.

For "the bible" on low carb, I would suggest the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek.

I wish you well.

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    I agree with paleobird, 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs to stay in ketosis. For me I eat about 8 oz of chicken and 8 oz of fish or meat per day along with plenty of fat and plenty of low carb vegetables. I eat a lot of macadamia nuts and an avocado for fat and I cook all my food in coconut oil or ghee. For vegetables I eat a lot of spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, sugar snap peas and bok choy. Good luck with ketosis.

Thanks guys! @Paleobird, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" just came in the other day. I just started reading it I've also watched several of Dr. Attia's videos.

I'm very bad at math.. So is there any simple formulas I can use to find out how many grams of fat/protein/carbs I should be eating per day when following the 60%/35%/5% ratios?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thex1138 View Post
    Thanks guys! @Paleobird, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" just came in the other day. I just started reading it I've also watched several of Dr. Attia's videos.

I'm very bad at math.. So is there any simple formulas I can use to find out how many grams of fat/protein/carbs I should be eating per day when following the 60%/35%/5% ratios?
    OK, both carbs and protein are 1 gr=4 calories. Fat is 1gr=9 calories. So first figure out how many total calories you should be getting in a day. There are lots of BMR calculators online. Just for round numbers say you were going for 2000/day. 5% of that is 100 calories so that is 25 gram carb. And so on.

Alright, so for a 2,000 calorie per day diet, I got the following with the 60%/35%/5% ratio :

133g fat / 175g protein / 25g carb

Isn't that way too much protein? I have a package of beef in front of me.. The serving size says 4oz, which is 21g protein, and there's 16 servings per container.. This means to hit 168g of protein I'll have to eat 8 servings, which is 2lbs of meat, no? Wouldn't that kick gluconeogenesis into gear and convert most of that protein into glucose? I thought that protein should be kept around 60-80g per day. Those 8 servings as well would also put me right about the 2000+ calories per day mark, and that's not counting the 5% carbs and 65% fat (even know I'd get all of my fat intake for the day from the meat as well.. 8 servings would provide me with 136g of fat) . Ahhhh I need help! lol

Orrr did I calculate it all wrong?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    For your protein fears The Ketogenic Diet for Health: If You Eat Excess Protein, Does It Turn Into Excess Glucose?

80/20 beef (or any "fatty" cut) will give you about a 65/35 ratio of fat to protein...then you just add a bit of fat to the veggies you eat (olive oil on salad or butter on veggies). It's the easy way. That's really all there is to it. Just get started and put your stuff into fitday or some other calorie counter till you get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    For your protein fears The Ketogenic Diet for Health: If You Eat Excess Protein, Does It Turn Into Excess Glucose?

80/20 beef (or any "fatty" cut) will give you about a 65/35 ratio of fat to protein...then you just add a bit of fat to the veggies you eat (olive oil on salad or butter on veggies). It's the easy way. That's really all there is to it. Just get started and put your stuff into fitday or some other calorie counter till you get the hang of it.
    Hey there! I just skimmed through the article, but in the beginning it says this :

"In our opinion, it makes sense physiologically for GNG to be a demand-driven rather than supply-driven process, because of the need to keep blood glucose within tight bounds."

So, it's in their opinion.. It's not necessarily fact, right?

And so would 175g of protein (2lbs of beef per day) be too much? I wasn't even eating that much back when I was trying to bodybuild, lol. I was hoping the bulk of my diet would be 1-2 avocados, lots of coconut oil, some olive oil, and egg yolks. I didn't think I'd have to force down two huge one pound patties.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    lol....well read the rest of the article to determine if their opinion seems logical and valid. Its all very well referenced. Very little in biological science can be called fact. Mostly its theory with varying levels of scientific backing. It's actually all quite messy . Thats why an ancestral framework is so important.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-18-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    That does seem a bit high on the protein. And yes, I think the jury is still out on the points made in that link above.

I usually stay with 70/25/5.

Mark's recommendation of aprox .7gr pro/lb lean body mass is pretty solid IMO. So if you figure your upper limit of carbs and protein that way, then you just fill in the remainder with fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast