Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Normal?--Going carb crazy even with a little bit of carbs? page 9

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Oh so now you're trolling that the exact definition of sugar being sucrose and sucrose only. Never mind that high fucktose corn syrup is sugar? Never mind that EVERY SINGLE CARB that we eat -- reagardless of source -- turns into blood sugar and your body doesn't know or care whether it was originally a sweet potato or Pepsi or your precious whole wheat? Sugar kills, end of story.

I'm done.
    Are you kidding me? Holy cow. HFCS is a whole different monster. HFCS is 55% fructose and 45% glucose. Sucrose is equal parts glucose and sucrose. HFCS is fructose and glucose in free form. HFCS in studies has been shown to have 500% and upwards of calories because of undigested cornstarch molecules. They're still equal? They're not. You're getting many more calories than you bargain for with HFCS.

No, sugar doesn't kill. Do you even have a remote idea of what you're talking about? When your dietary carb and blood sugar levels are low the adrenaline hormone liberates free fatty acids from stored fat to be used for energy, as well as another mechanism that goes along with it called gluconeogenesis in which cortisol will spike your blood sugar anyway! Except it does it by converting your own body tissues.

By going low carb you're essentially going to experience a blood sugar rollercoaster, screw your metabolism, burden your liver, and stress nearly every cell in your body.

But, right, sugar kills, and I'm trolling so ignore me.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 11-24-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    By going low carb you're essentially going to experience a blood sugar rollercoaster, screw your metabolism, burden your liver, and stress nearly every cell in your body.

But, right, sugar kills, and I'm trolling so ignore me.
    Yes, because your body is utterly incapable of managing its own internal blood sugar through any other means than consuming copeous amounts of sugars daily.

Wow, I feel really sorry for the Inuits then. They must perpetually be on the verge of death.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Yes, because your body is utterly incapable of managing its own internal blood sugar through any other means than consuming copeous amounts of sugars daily.

Wow, I feel really sorry for the Inuits then. They must perpetually be on the verge of death.
    Kitavans look much healthier than the Inuits. Hey, look, I can straw mans too!

Kitavans look much healthier than the Inuits. Hey, look, I can straw mans too!
    Looks alone, do not health, determine.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    After eating a higher carb diet over the holidays, I noticed I felt quite a bit better. Now, sugar junk food leaves me feeling like crap. But a higher amount of good carbs makes me feel more energized and does not necessarily make me feel like shit.

I think it comes down to the nutrition values:
    Meal one- frozen pizza and crappy salad- put me to sleep an hour later.
    Meal two- fish with roasted veggies and potatoes- felt great
    Meal three- thanksgiving- turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, good salad, stuffing, paleo apple crisp and ice cream- felt great. Went out and played with kids for a few hours.

I noticed that a lot of carbs available to us are crappy. Like at the airport for breakfast- you could have a cinnabon.... that's nutritionally useless and appeared to be the breakfast of choice. I had a LaraBar- high in good carbs, but sustained me for most of the day.

I think when you are low carb, you probably are going to go a little crazy when you have some carbs at first, but if you keep them to the "low reward" side, things will normalize. So, you may eat 3 bananas at first, but once your body gets enough carbs, you won't have those cravings. Then its just a matter of balancing everything out (ie, eating less fat calories to allow for more carbs). It's like when I started eating good fats again- my body wanted them so badly, I could not get enough. Frankly, it was gross. I think I ate all the skin off a whole chicken in one sitting.

The processed carbs like cinnabon and candy are like taking crack for some people. But I think overtime, you will see the consumption of good carbs normalize even if you started with some overeating of them, as long as you keep the crack foods out of your diet.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Simple carbs especially can be very addictive like drugs so it could be something to do with that.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and sugar is killing people? Are you sure about that? Since around 1970 sucrose has seen a sharp decline in usage, yet diabetes and obesity has been increasing.

Also, no one is "dropping dead". Life expectancy in 1st world countries is quite high. People may be unhealthy, but our life expectancy rate is much higher than it was before.
    Functional lifespan is decreasing in America. Our ability to keep sick people alive keeps improving - but our state of health is declining. The curve turned downward in 1998.

"The average number of healthy years has decreased since 1998. We spend fewer years of our lives without disease, even though we live longer.

A male 20-year-old in 1998 could expect to live another 45 years without at least one of the leading causes of death: cardiovascular disease, cancer or diabetes. That number fell to 43.8 years in 2006, the loss of more than a year. For young women, expected years of life without serious disease fell from 49.2 years to 48 years over the last decade.

At the same time, the number of people who report lack of mobility has grown, starting with young adults. Functional mobility was defined as the ability to walk up ten steps, walk a quarter mile, stand or sit for 2 hours, and stand, bend or kneel without using special equipment.

A male 20-year-old today can expect to spend 5.8 years over the rest of his life without basic mobility, compared to 3.8 years a decade ago an additional two years unable to walk up ten steps or sit for two hours. A female 20-year-old can expect 9.8 years without mobility, compared to 7.3 years a decade ago."

I'm glad you've never been fat and never had a problem processing carbs and sugar. Neither have I! However, I'm not willing to extrapolate my N=1 to the rest of the world, many of whom clearly do have such a problem. (There's this thing called "metabolic flexibility"...)

Yes, I personally eat a more Perfect Health Diet level of carbs. However, I don't feel it necessary to tell everyone who does better on VLC that they're Doing It Wrong and will inevitably wreck their thyroid/adrenals/whatever, because I don't see evidence that this is the case.

For instance: intermittent fasting. I'd say that IF counts as carb restriction...for 16-20 of 24 hours, you're eating no carbs at all. Furthermore, your liver doesn't contain enough glycogen to run your brain and blood cells for 16-20 hours, and your body will never let your liver get that low on glycogen anyway...so if you IF (or, even more impressively, ADF), you're going to be undergoing OMG GLUCONEOGENESIS CORTISOL ADRENAL FATIGUE!!!11!!1 for much of the day.

Yet I don't see legions of Peatarians and Potato Dieters rushing to excoriate Martin Berkhan or IF protocols.

A few tips:
    1. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it'll work for the rest of the world.
    2. Just because something works for you doesn't mean something else might not work even better.
    3. Therefore, be cautious about getting all evangelistic about your individual dietary protocol.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post

Yet I don't see legions of Peatarians and Potato Dieters rushing to excoriate Martin Berkhan or IF protocols.
    J Stanton - Have you looked at the potato diet like we are doing it here? Whaddaya think?

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j. Stanton View Post
    a few tips:
    1. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it'll work for the rest of the world.
    2. Just because something works for you doesn't mean something else might not work even better.
    3. Therefore, be cautious about getting all evangelistic about your individual dietary protocol.
    amen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The processed carbs like cinnabon and candy are like taking crack for some people. But I think overtime, you will see the consumption of good carbs normalize even if you started with some overeating of them, as long as you keep the crack foods out of your diet.
    I'm pretty sure that this weekend I proved that I can't be trusted even with the "good carbs."

I had a few meals that were gluten free but had fair amounts of squash, sweet potatoes, and the like and I STILL felt bloated and lousy afterwards.

You cannot make a blanket statement that there are certain carbs that are just "good" for everyone.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast