Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Normal?--Going carb crazy even with a little bit of carbs? page 8

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I consume most my carbs from vegetables (carrots, beats, gourds, beans), and am fine. But when I start on starch/grains, it triggers something and I immediately want to eat more. It's impossible to just try a bit of chocolate cake and stop at one bite.

I recently noticed that my heart starts beating faster and I feel 'off' after too much carbs (usually rice, fermented rice pancakes) after a meal. If just the right amount, I feel energized. This started happening when I've been lower-carb for awhile.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Marissa, I was successfully VLC (with ocassional refeeds) for about a year. But this weekend has taught me that even the refeeds may be a bad idea from now on. In any form, primal or not.

I may have to accept it. My goal isn't so much to be in ketosis as it is to go back to VLC and stay that way. And that likely means ketosis will just naturally happen.

I'm still with family but starting tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can fast for the day and see if anyone says anything.

But yeah... I litterally am in excruciating pain right now. Damn my CW-worshiping family that eats grains as the CENTER of every meal and won't let me cook because they're afraid my diet is going to kill them. *shakes fist*

Sigh. This has been an enlightening weekend for me. Never again.
    I'm sorry to hear you are in pain. That's horrible. Same thing happens to me now if I ever try to eat any CW food with grains. I just won't do it anymore. That's why last night all I had was turkey and green bean casserole. I didn't want to put my body through eating all the other stuff that I knew would have made me feel really bad. I hope you feel better soon!!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I'm sorry to hear you are in pain. That's horrible. Same thing happens to me now if I ever try to eat any CW food with grains. I just won't do it anymore. That's why last night all I had was turkey and green bean casserole. I didn't want to put my body through eating all the other stuff that I knew would have made me feel really bad. I hope you feel better soon!!
    The annual pasta and bread dinner my family has at Christmas time is going to consist of me eating undressed salad this year.

*big sigh*

But I've got to do it or I'll feel like this all over again. Getting together with family is going to be so hard now. Food forms the center of our gaatherings and they all eat radically different than I do now. Who knew going primal would have an effect on social situations? I certainly wasn't considering that when I first made my decision to try it out.

The annual pasta and bread dinner my family has at Christmas time is going to consist of me eating undressed salad this year.

*big sigh*

But I've got to do it or I'll feel like this all over again. Getting together with family is going to be so hard now. Food forms the center of our gaatherings and they all eat radically different than I do now. Who knew going primal would have an effect on social situations? I certainly wasn't considering that when I first made my decision to try it out.
    Well why don't you prepare a couple Primal dishes and bring them with you? That way you have something you can eat, and also your family can try the foods that you eat and maybe realize that it's not bad at all. We are having the same thing at our house on xmas, the family cooks huge amounts of ravioli, but luckily they also make prime rib to go with the meal. But even so, I'm trying to figure out a couple dishes that I can make, or maybe some primal appetizers that I can share, that way I have some munchies and the family can try some of the foods that I really like. I feel bad not eating the meal like everyone else, but at the same time, now that I have discovered this sensitivity to wheat or gluten, I'm not going to put myself through that just to make everyone happy and eat the ravs. I'm sure they will understand. If not, then oh well, they will have to get over it.

Well why don't you prepare a couple Primal dishes and bring them with you? That way you have something you can eat, and also your family can try the foods that you eat and maybe realize that it's not bad at all. We are having the same thing at our house on xmas, the family cooks huge amounts of ravioli, but luckily they also make prime rib to go with the meal. But even so, I'm trying to figure out a couple dishes that I can make, or maybe some primal appetizers that I can share, that way I have some munchies and the family can try some of the foods that I really like. I feel bad not eating the meal like everyone else, but at the same time, now that I have discovered this sensitivity to wheat or gluten, I'm not going to put myself through that just to make everyone happy and eat the ravs. I'm sure they will understand. If not, then oh well, they will have to get over it.
    Because it will be on the other side of the country and I can't bring the ingredients with me on the plane?

Besides that, we usually have a full plate of activities planned on our Christmas trips, so I won't exactly have time to go shopping either. It's a nice idea Marissa, but it's TOTALLY not feasable given how things usually work.

Oh, and there would be some butt-hurt family members bitching about the fact that I have to be "difficult" and have "abnormal dietary needs." We do get sensitive about our food in this family.

Because it will be on the other side of the country and I can't bring the ingredients with me on the plane?

Besides that, we usually have a full plate of activities planned on our Christmas trips, so I won't exactly have time to go shopping either. It's a nice idea Marissa, but it's TOTALLY not feasable given how things usually work.

Oh, and there would be some butt-hurt family members bitching about the fact that I have to be "difficult" and have "abnormal dietary needs." We do get sensitive about our food in this family.
    I'm sorry.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRose2012 View Post
    Some of us are made like this. for me sugar is like cocaine or alcohol. I cannot have one. I have to have the whole packet and if I "come off the wagon" I am utterly lost. For us a 80./20 rules does not work at all - it would be like saying to the heroine addict - hey have just this little bit. Those who do not have this sugar addiction cannot really understand how it is for those in our category.

The only answer is total abstinence. There are huge numbers of people like that. The process of getting clean from the addictive substance is important and then never stray and in fact you lose the urge anyway for sugar but do not think for one moment you are safe to try some. You aren't. radiantrecovery.com is a helpful resource.

If I have loads of fruit or bananas or nuts and raisins I am also indulging the same sugar needs and I always want these even if I am utterly full to the brim, stuffed with good foods, veg, fat and protein. This is nothing to do with hunger. It is about the brain needing that hit of the sugar high - sugar affects the same bit of the brain as cocaine. I suspect women are more affected by this than men and it is not taken at all seriously by most people who think it is funny whereas if it were alcohol you were searching the house for they would be sympathetic.
    I used to be able to have just a little bit of something sweet and be satisfied. I don't know if it's because of my candida overgrowth, but that has completely changed now. I completely understand how you feel about being stuffed with good food and still wanting sugar. That happens to me on a nightly basis lately. It always seems to hit in the evening. I'm fine all day eating healthy, but the cravings come on strong at night, usually made much worse by my having a drink or 2 in the evenings. I think the sugar cravings are what makes me go for the alcohol, and then it just snowballs. I usually keep it to paleo desserts (I can turn just about ANYTHING into a paleo dessert!), but still end up over eating on them.
    Thanksgiving took things to a whole new level though. I decided to just eat what my family made for dinner and to really enjoy it, then get right back to eating well the next day. Well, I topped off dinner with THREE slices of pie. Yesterday I started off with pumpkin coffee cake, then ate clean, then had 2 drinks, which made me want more sugar, so I had a paleo dessert, which also made me want more sugar, and I ended up having 3 slices of pie again.
    I have to go cold turkey, including cutting out the paleo desserts, and that's all there is to it. Thanks for mentioning the Radiant Recovery website, I'm going to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    just remember that this is what dependency feels like -- an addiction -- and it's bloody hard to kick. Ask a smoker 20 years after quitting, how strong the desire is for a cigarette with their morning coffee --- they'll tell you --- it's always there. The desire for a cigarette never disappears. Think about how long you (we) have been consuming processed sugars and wheat --- and it's going to take a very dedicated strong individual to consciously say: No More (moar). This is an addiction, and to believe it's anything less than that is to under estimate its power. Use whatever self-control or strategic planning you can to avoid the times when you know you will be vulnerable. We are waging war against refined wheats, grains and sugars -- and no one ever promised that it would be easy.

Thank you for this. I actually printed this out and highlighted the bolded section. Tonight when the demons start calling, I will put on my Vibrams, grab my iPod full of podcasts, and go for a long walk.

I'm also going to re-read Robb Wolf's book to reinforce what gluten and sugar do to the body. For a long time, when I looked at things like cookies and pies and anything packaged, I didn't see food. I need to find a way to get back to that place.

I'm grateful for this timely thread. I felt really good when I did the GAPS intro diet a few weeks ago, it's time to get back to it.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Oh, and sugar is killing people? Are you sure about that? Since around 1970 sucrose has seen a sharp decline in usage, yet diabetes and obesity has been increasing.
    Oh so now you're trolling that the exact definition of sugar being sucrose and sucrose only. Never mind that high fucktose corn syrup is sugar? Never mind that EVERY SINGLE CARB that we eat -- reagardless of source -- turns into blood sugar and your body doesn't know or care whether it was originally a sweet potato or Pepsi or your precious whole wheat? Sugar kills, end of story.

I'm done.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain OP I have been on many yo yo diets over the years. What derailed every one was relaxing on the sugar/carbs. I have a weird thing where if I have something with sugar, I then seem to need something salty/savoury to counteract it......followed by something sugary LOL. a neverending cycle. I have now found I am very allergic to eggs and dairy, so a lot of my favourite puddings etc. are just not possible anymore, which makes me sad, but will make keeping honest a lot easier.

I'm sorry.
    Yeah, me too, me too. But you and I have a commitment to the lifestyle and changing it to "suit" others is a mistake. We both know that. We have to do what makes US feel good and not what makes others feel good.

To them I say... Fooey!

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast