Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Normal?--Going carb crazy even with a little bit of carbs? page 5

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    Haribo: Original Gold Bears Gummi Candy, 5 oz

Ingredients:

Corn Syrup, Sugar, Gelatin, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Starch, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Carnauba Wax, Beeswax Coating, Artificial Colors: Fd & C No. 5, Red No. 40, Blue No. 1.

Haribo: Original Gold Bears Gummi Candy, 5 oz

Just ano dude with time to kill?
    The ones I eat:

Glucose syrup; sugar; gelatin; dextrose; fruit juice from concentrate: apple, strawberry, raspberry, orange, lemon, pineapple; citric acid, lemon, pineapple; citric acid; fruit and plant concentrates: nettle, apple, spinach, kiwi, orange, elderberry, lemon, mango, passionfruit, blackcurrant, aronia, grape; flavorings; glazing agents: white and yellow beeswax; carnauba wax; elderberry extract; fruit extract from carob; invert sugar syrup

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Why cheat when you can have meatza or coconut flour based crust....that way you get to have your bacon and eat it too.
    Because 1) paleo junk food doesn't taste as good as real junk food; 2) I'm allowed; 3) It won't kill me.

I'm not eating junk food to satisfy cravings; I'm doing it for other reasons.

As far as evolutionary evidence for sugar consumption, get a grip. Where's the ethnographic support for modern hunter gatherers turning up their noses at fruit and eating low glycemic vegetables? What's the evolutionary precedent for eating a big ass, boring ass salad?

Meat, fruit and tubers. It's the human way!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Meat, fruit and tubers. It's the human way!
    Actually I wouldn't disagree. I was talking about the addition of a highly processed food material without any precedence in healthy human society to those other things, particularly the volume of such.

Timthetaco Guest
    Like I said, short term junk food binges aren't going to kill anyone, especially if they've spent several months or years following an increasingly restrictive dietary regime that leaves them intolerant to everything except water soup and freeze dried liver dog treats.

Derpamix's point is that some people just need sugar, whether it comes from a bag of Skittles or an apple. An apple's obviously the better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Like I said, short term junk food binges aren't going to kill anyone, especially if they've spent several months or years following an increasingly restrictive dietary regime that leaves them intolerant to everything except water soup and freeze dried liver dog treats.

Derpamix's point is that some people just need sugar, whether it comes from a bag of Skittles or an apple. An apple's obviously the better choice.
    Now I actually do disagree. Not only is the apple a better choice. The other choice is actually harmful and getting sugar from it is not in the context that your body recognizes nor has used for thousands of years. So, while I also eat pizza and drink beer I'm not about to come on here and spout that it is actually a healthy activity. Within the confines of the rest of my lifestyle (and previous healthy status) I may be able to tolerate this stressor a bit better than others, and so I do....but lets not conflate that to making it the reason I am a healthy person.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-18-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Timthetaco Guest
    What's that tribe that eats junk food along with their typical diet? The Hadza? They make a pretty compelling case that even junk food eating in moderation and in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle isn't harmful. More harmful than an apple, sure, but ultimately harmless. Obviously our bodies interpret a Twinkie as poison and do their best to detoxify and excrete the poison and assimilate the nutrients. I love the durability of the human body; it's why people can eat crap to great excess for several decades before it finally kills them, and it's the same reason I can eat half a dozen donuts on occasion relatively guilt free.

And you're right, I was speculating about the point he was making. Who knows. The thread derailed into an argument about sugar when it shouldn't have.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 11-18-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I don't get where all of this "processed" crap is coming from either. Most everything I eat is from sugar in its absolute purest form. I'm not advocating twinkies, or anything of the like. I take great care to make sure I'm not eating I won't agree with.

But I do agree with Timthetaco. If those foods were really as poisonous as some people make them out to be, a lot of people would be dropping dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    But I do agree with Timthetaco. If those foods were really as poisonous as some people make them out to be, a lot of people would be dropping dead.
    Seems we are in the middle of a chronic disease epidemic that's killing millions just here in the states.....Anyhow, like tim said, we are getting quite off topic so I'll just bow out until this comes back round to the thread topic.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-18-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Seriously....don't the Peatophiles have their own forum to spew fallacies on? There is no evolutionary argument that validates your statements about sugar.
    Hah! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Evolutionary....ancestral....traditional......just cause these data sets don't jive with your personal dietary preference doesn't invalidate them. And, like it or not Primal is based on a combination of this epidemiological evidence along with biochemical science. If you wish to base your assertions strictly on cherry picked papers from biochemistry that's fine by me. But, my view is a bit broader. Either way why don't you just revive the danny roddy sugar thread so we can keep all this stuff in the same place?
    Somehow the Peat heads just can't seem to stay away from here. It's like Banana Boy coming over to troll about fruitarianism. *Sigh*

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    lol there are plenty of things wrong with that list of foods and it's not sugar! note, everything I eat contains no additives that stress the digestive system or are known to cause any intense allergic reaction.
    Please understand that my crappy diet is where I end up when I consume "as much sugar as I want." I don't think sugar is very healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Somehow the Peat heads just can't seem to stay away from here. It's like Banana Boy coming over to troll about fruitarianism. *Sigh*
    All hopped up on sugar, probably.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast