Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Normal?--Going carb crazy even with a little bit of carbs? page 2

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am happy to know that I am not the only one! Looks like carbs really do what they are supposed to do. Make you crave for more of them.

Sunday is going to be "bad" eating day, and I am preparing in advance. I read Mark's blogpost about a cheat meal...and it was helpful. I pretty much do that, but I dont work out after the meal. Maybe I should look into that.

I need to figure out a way to bounce back (from a carby day). hopefully I will figure out the formula that works for me.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you should invest some time in learning to make paleo baked goods and other paleo treats. A lot of them are really just as tasty, if not tastier, than the regular kind. For example, search for paleo chocolate mug cake. Oh my, that is so good and so fast to make, too. Another tasty treat I had recently was vegan pumpkin pudding. It was made with chia seeds, cashews, coconut milk, pumpkin puree and spices. Certainly just as primal as vegan. I am going to search for a recipe because it was really so good and hit the spot.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Same here. You won't find me eating one banana. You'll find me eating the last one - with a mountain of peels next to me. I can eat ten or fifteen at once and not bat an eye. There is NO satiety in the banana. And then I'm bloated, thirsty, and spend three days peeing out the bloat. I can see easily eating 40 or 50 in a day if it was all I had to eat. But then I'd be durianrider, and would have to jump off a cliff and die to make things right. So I avoid fruit largely, since once I open the sugar door, in walk candy and wheat right along with the fruit. Once a month or so? Sure, I'll eat a pile of bananas and call it good. But not daily or even weekly.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    that's your body telling you to stop tormenting yourself
    Bahaha you're hilarious man.
    And when the body of a binge eater tells him to eat all the junk food, it's the body telling him to stop tormenting himself ?
    Yeah, right, totally scientific and useful.

Seriously if you came to that forum to troll all day, get a life.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    a view different than my own, must be trolling, right guys!? and what do you consider junk food? let me guess, anything with sugar, right? do you ever think about why one would binge eat? maybe, it's because they're restricting themselves of just eating what they want to eat. denial and guilt are what leads to binge eating in the first place. op is a classic example.

sugar and carbs are calming and absolutely essential for your body.

I'm not against views different than my own, man.
    Not at all, I find it pretty interesting and I don't have the absolute truth, I'm still tweaking the way I eat and such stuff.
    However, sugar is addictive. It's a fact. It's not because biologically your body feels "satisfied" and drives you to eat more than it's healthy for you body.
    Think about alcohol.
    Think about nicotine.

And no, to me, junk food isn't anything with sugar in it. Sugar isn't magically metabolized in an evil way in your body it just depends on the source of it and the amount of it.

Sugar and carbs don't calm me. They give me acid reflux, they make me unable to sleep, they give me migraines and they change my hormonal balance for the worse, for the major part of them.

Seriously, someone who just LOVE the taste of McDonald's should eat McDonald's everyday because if they love McDonald's food it's because the body likes it and stuff ? Give me a break. Don't talk to me about denial and guilt.
    There's nothing about food in these behaviors.

If you eat a well thought diet, with satisfying meals, that you're in good health and that your hormones are correct, you'll never want to binge eat.
    Or you have something, like a big void in your life, to fill, and it has nothing to do with food.

There are reasons why very prominent doctors who study longevity, hormones therapies, anti-aging, diseases prevention advice people to eat less carbs.
    I'm sorry if it frustrates you.

I don't have anything against views different than mine.
    But I have something against your stupid views without any logical explanation where you tell people you drink 30 fucking cups of coffee and that you don't think it's dangerous for your body.
    And I really wonder what the hell you're doing on that forum.

Do you see yourself as a kind of messiah or something ? You think you'll save people from the horrors of paleo eating because you have the truth and that carbs are wonderful and shit ?
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think there are "carbs" - and then there are addictive foods.

Carbs like sweet potato, bananas, fruits can easily be a cornerstone of a healthy diet. I think they are necessary for long term health and overall happiness and ability to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle. Yes.... I know there are the Inuit. Probably given the option to eat some healthy carbs they'd be excited.

Then there are addictive foods. Sugar and wheat. They are also high carb. But sugar is like crack. When I quit processed sugar, it was not fun- it was like detoxing even though I was eating fruit. IMO, an apple is a different food than a cupcake, even though they both have sugar.

The best way I have found is to allow myself plenty of good carbs. Then when I splurge make it a "one and done" type deal. A single serve ice cream. A piece of cake at a party. Then I go home to a house with nothing with sugar and flour in it. I also try and lower carbs for a day or two and focus on meat and veggies.

FWIW, the more good carbs I eat, the fewer bad carbs I want.The more I restrict good carbs, the more I want bad one.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I'm not against views different than my own, man.
    Not at all, I find it pretty interesting and I don't have the absolute truth, I'm still tweaking the way I eat and such stuff.
    However, sugar is addictive. It's a fact. It's not because biologically your body feels "satisfied" and drives you to eat more than it's healthy for you body.
    Think about alcohol.
    Think about nicotine.
    Sugar is addictive because it's, gasp, good for you! Sugar effects the dopaminergic system. Thus, explaining the "addictive" qualities. You can become addicted to anything. I eat as much sugar as I want, and consequently do not crave or overeat anything with sugar in it.

Sugar and carbs don't calm me. They give me acid reflux, they make me unable to sleep, they give me migraines and they change my hormonal balance for the worse, for the major part of them.
    Then you definitely have other issues going on. Carbohydrates are just an organic compound, and you don't think it's unnatural that your body reacts to it in such a poor way whereas mine doesn't?

Seriously, someone who just LOVE the taste of McDonald's should eat McDonald's everyday because if they love McDonald's food it's because the body likes it and stuff ? Give me a break. Don't talk to me about denial and guilt.
    There's nothing about food in these behaviors.
    Eventually they will get sick of eating mcdonalds. If they really crave mcdonalds that much, then, denying it is just going to make them eventually binge on it. Has nothing to do with whether or not it's good for you. It's just the way binge eating goes. However, no one who has had good food will really like the taste of mcdonalds. And, no, it's obvious that kind of crap is not good for you. Even people who eat it know that. I think the language barriers must be interfering with your ability to accurately take away the point I'm making. Or, you're just trying to spin in it a way that supports your close-minded opinion.

If you eat a well thought diet, with satisfying meals, that you're in good health and that your hormones are correct, you'll never want to binge eat.
    Exactly my point. And a well thought out diet doesn't include excluding an entire group of food. Nor does that put you on the path to hormonal health.

There are reasons why very prominent doctors who study longevity, hormones therapies, anti-aging, diseases prevention advice people to eat less carbs.
    I'm sorry if it frustrates you.
    Yet, in no studies is there actually conclusive evidence to support their idiotic irresponsible claims. And prominent doctors? lol

I don't have anything against views different than mine.
    But I have something against your stupid views without any logical explanation where you tell people you drink 30 fucking cups of coffee and that you don't think it's dangerous for your body.
    And I really wonder what the hell you're doing on that forum.
    I've been very logical, actually. I can pull tons of citations to back my claims, if you'd like. The information is all out there. What does my coffee drinking have to do with anything? Want to know what my coffee drinking does? It jacks up my metabolic state, keeps my body temperature hovering around 98.7 constantly, and acts as a very powerful anti-oxidant. Is 30 cups likely excessive? Sure. Will I always drink this much coffee? Probably not. But if I want a cup of coffee, I'm going to drink one. Does it bother you that much? I've noticed it's been brought up in irrelevant topics several times now to be used against me. Maybe if your stress levels weren't so high from denying yourself carbs, you wouldn't get just so damn wound up that someone else has different eating habits than you.

I can bring up irrelevant things too, and say that if that's you in your avatar your terrible facial hair really bothers me. Quite possibly more than my terrible coffee and carb habits bother you. In fact, I would go so far as to say that, like my ketosis state can be linked to my coffee drinking, your facial hair is likely directly related to carbs giving you acid reflux. Hell, it's giving me acid reflux just staring at it right now.

Do you see yourself as a kind of messiah or something ? You think you'll save people from the horrors of paleo eating because you have the truth and that carbs are wonderful and shit ?
    lol you're so angry! paleo eating =/= very low carb iirc, but you do have the caveman behavior down.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 11-17-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Sugar is addictive because it's, gasp, good for you! Sugar effects the dopaminergic system. Thus, explaining the "addictive" qualities. You can become addicted to anything. I eat as much sugar as I want, and consequently do not crave or overeat anything with sugar in it.

Then you definitely have other issues going on. Carbohydrates are just an organic compound, and you don't think it's unnatural that your body reacts to it in such a poor way whereas mine doesn't?

Eventually they will get sick of eating mcdonalds. If they really crave mcdonalds that much, then, denying it is just going to make them eventually binge on it. Has nothing to do with whether or not it's good for you. It's just the way binge eating goes. However, no one who has had good food will really like the taste of mcdonalds. And, no, it's obvious that kind of crap is not good for you. Even people who eat it know that. I think the language barriers must be interfering with your ability to accurately take away the point I'm making. Or, you're just trying to spin in it a way that supports your close-minded opinion.

Exactly my point. And a well thought out diet doesn't include excluding an entire group of food. Nor does that put you on the path to hormonal health.

Yet, in no studies is there actually conclusive evidence to support their idiotic irresponsible claims. And prominent doctors? lol

I've been very logical, actually. I can pull tons of citations to back my claims, if you'd like. The information is all out there. What does my coffee drinking have to do with anything? Want to know what my coffee drinking does? It jacks up my metabolic state, keeps my body temperature hovering around 98.7 constantly, and acts as a very powerful anti-oxidant. Is 30 cups likely excessive? Sure. Will I always drink this much coffee? Probably not. But if I want a cup of coffee, I'm going to drink one. Does it bother you that much? I've noticed it's been brought up in irrelevant topics several times now to be used against me. Maybe if your stress levels weren't so high from denying yourself carbs, you wouldn't get just so damn wound up that someone else has different eating habits than you.

I can bring up irrelevant things too, and say that if that's you in your avatar your terrible facial hair really bothers me. Quite possibly more than my terrible coffee and carb habits bother you. In fact, I would go so far as to say that, like my ketosis state can be linked to my coffee drinking, your facial hair is likely directly related to carbs giving you acid reflux. Hell, it's giving me acid reflux just staring at it right now.

lol you're so angry! paleo eating =/= very low carb iirc, but you do have the caveman behavior down.
    "Sugar is addictive because it's, gasp, good for you!"
    Hm, how ?
    Please tell me.
    "Sugar effects the dopaminergic system"
    Many things affect the dopaminergic system, it doesn't make them healthy though.
    I was talking about nicotine in my latest post, and nicotine is addictive because, it releases, "gaps", dopamine.
    "Lol"

For the middle of your post, I'm with you. Seriously. It's well argumented, well written and it's obvious you're not trolling.
    So thanks for that.
    "Exactly my point. And a well thought out diet doesn't include excluding an entire group of food. Nor does that put you on the path to hormonal health."
    Oh, and... I'm not a "deep ketosis" kind of guy at all. I'm certainly low carbs for your standards, but more like 100 g or 150 g, and I don't fear fruits or tubers at all. I feel and perform better at moderate carbs like this, I tried for like a month to be higher carbs, with still plenty of fats for hormonal synthesis, from white rice, tubers, and a bit of fruits, didn't feel sharp mentally and had acid reflux. But well, ok, I'll say that acid reflux is more related to my very very sensitive body (hypopituitarism, pubertal problems, vitiligo, probably food allergies that were never tested, insomnias from age 1 to 5... and so on). However, strangely, a more fat oriented diet doesn't give me that kind of pains and my digestion is much better...

"Yet, in no studies is there actually conclusive evidence to support their idiotic irresponsible claims. And prominent doctors? lol "
    There are, actually, many studies, that can back up many different claims. Your point could be backed with science as well as mine, unfortunately, it's a very complex thing, with many mechanisms and we don't have the knowledge to know how it all works, we have to choose for what seems the most plausible considering our own knowledge and understanding.
    And when I'm talking about prominent doctors, I'm not talking about Paleo gurus.
    Because of my health condition, I know quite a bit of stuff about hormonal functionning and I slowly discovered who I should follow in terms of health, and who I should have an appointment with. I know what I'm talking about when I say "prominent doctors".

For the coffee part, it's absolutely stupid and downright disrespectful and hurtful to compare my fucking physical appearance to this topic. The big difference between those two things, is that coffee is a part of the way you're feeding yourself, what you put in your mouth and the potential incidence it could have on your health. Not my facial hair. My facial hair has nothing to do in this conversation. People who start to attack other people on such stuff looses credibility.
    Oh and,
    "keeps my body temperature hovering around 98.7 constantly"
    I don't drink ANY coffee or caffeine containing beverage (nor caffeine containing food) and my body temperature is always around 98.7 and 99.5, more often closer to 99.5 than 98.7...

And for the last sentence...
    I'm not VLC
    And I'm not against carbs; it's just that ALL, really, ALL the posts you wrote on this forum is somewhat agressive, ironic, cynical, provoking and condescending.
    So here's the same question: What are you doing on that forum ?
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 11-17-2012 at 10:03 AM.

HanKu is offline Junior Member
    All in all I'd say it's normal. I experience the same it when I down 1lb of Ben & Jerry's (post work-out carb reload I tell myself ). And then it triggers my mind to do other naughty stuff like buying supermarket pizza and lasagna (which I then don't); with me it resembles the nicotine monster. You have to ask yourself if bread and sugary stuff is really worth the 1 week torment of rehab.

It also depends on the person, because when I moderately eat the bad stuff I don't get the response mentioned. I think even when one has his/her blood sugar response/sensitivity in order it depends on the person whether eating junk triggers going carb crazy or going carb-energized.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast