Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Normal?--Going carb crazy even with a little bit of carbs? page 13

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The, OMG, I just have to have a cookie or I am going to die, feeling is either a metabolism that is not fully fat adapted and therefor still having blood sugar roller-coaster rides, or else it is a mental craving (comfort food). Some would argue that it is sugar addiction talking. I have never been in those shoes (binging/addictive behavior) so I'm not really sure about that question.
    I do have that addictive response to junk foods (cookies, wheat, etc.), but not with other carbs and my body functions better with good carbs. I can't go for long VLC without getting depressed, losing energy, sex drive etc. I find having a moderate level of carbs- 2-3 fruits, a starch, veggies makes my body run better in the long haul.

The difference (for me) between craving sugar/wheat and wanting carbs is really distinct. The sugar/wheat craving is irrational and out of control and the trigger is headache, anger, emotional and seldom energy related. The want for good carbs is more a craving for "fresh", and it's a perk up. I've only gone VLC for a month or so at a time, but did not see benefit to it each time I tried. On occasion, I'll "overeat" fruit, but it's rare and never ongoing and never leads to a negative impact (bloat etc.). In general VLC leaves me run down, CW or SAD leads to crazy cycles, and moderate carbs just seems to be good, consistent energy and mood, and a regulated appetite within a few days.

I think at the heart of it, the more diversity of whole, natural foods we can eat, the better our body can run- for most people. Fruit has so much vitamins and minerals in it and all sorts of anti-oxidants etc. that work to fuel us better.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I do have that addictive response to junk foods (cookies, wheat, etc.), but not with other carbs and my body functions better with good carbs. I can't go for long VLC without getting depressed, losing energy, sex drive etc. I find having a moderate level of carbs- 2-3 fruits, a starch, veggies makes my body run better in the long haul.

I think at the heart of it, the more diversity of whole, natural foods we can eat, the better our body can run- for most people. Fruit has so much vitamins and minerals in it and all sorts of anti-oxidants etc. that work to fuel us better.
    Hmm. That's interesting how we are all so different. Drumroll says he can't even be trusted with the sweet potatoes much less any other carb. For me, I have never experienced the whole cravings/binging "thing" that others talk about at all regardless of "good" or "bad" carbs. For me I just feel rotten and sluggish on any kind of carbs and feel like a classic sport car with a tank of high octane fuel when I stay in ketosis.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Because it will be on the other side of the country and I can't bring the ingredients with me on the plane?
    I bet you could bring a ham on the plane. I think that's what I would do.

And regarding starchy carby vegetables, I seem way more capable of consuming them in large proportions since taking up weight lifting. It seems to have made my carb sensitivity a lot better. Some days I consume fewer starchy carbs and I don't feel deprived or low carb flu or anything. Some days I do consume a few extra potatoes and I can go out and exercise and still smell the ketones, so I really think it is helping me on a metabolic level. It's a good feeling. It's like I started this whole process a little over a year ago completely broken and am actually recovering and healing.

That doesn't mean I'm going to start drinking coke and eating gummy bears.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Plus the same disconnect from reality.
    Haha, that's rich from someone roleplaying as a caveman in the 21st century.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Haha, that's rich from someone roleplaying as a caveman in the 21st century.
    Riiiiiight. Eating a ketogenic diet to control my epilepsy (which is working very well, thanks) does not mean I am "roleplaying as a caveman". It's just eating the best possible food for my body.

So then, eating gummy bears and Coke may mean you are roleplaying as a junk food junkie? I think I hear Ray calling you. Buh bye.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Riiiiiight. Eating a ketogenic diet to control my epilepsy (which is working very well, thanks) does not mean I am "roleplaying as a caveman". It's just eating the best possible food for my body.

So then, eating gummy bears and Coke may mean you are roleplaying as a junk food junkie? I think I hear Ray calling you. Buh bye.
    Okay Paleobird.

I'm not roleplaying a junk food junkie, I am a junk food junkie. Ray is such a pleasant person to talk to, I only wish he were calling me.
    nihil

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213