Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 126

Thread: Normal?--Going carb crazy even with a little bit of carbs? page 10

  1. #91
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You cannot make a blanket statement that there are certain carbs that are just "good" for everyone.
    I agree. There are carbs that are not harmful for some people under some circumstances but that is more about "less bad" than actually "good". Just because you are a lucky person for whom a particular form of carbs does not cause a problem *at this time*, that does not necessarily make it good for you in the long run.

  2. #92
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I agree. There are carbs that are not harmful for some people under some circumstances but that is more about "less bad" than actually "good". Just because you are a lucky person for whom a particular form of carbs does not cause a problem *at this time*, that does not necessarily make it good for you in the long run.
    Yep, although I think it's more that I proved I just can't be trusted around carbs, "primal approved" or not.

    Let some call me weak-willed if they may, I will not deny it.

  3. #93
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Yep, although I think it's more that I proved I just can't be trusted around carbs, "primal approved" or not.
    Let some call me weak-willed if they may, I will not deny it.
    Phinney and Volek refer to it as degrees of carbohydrate tolerance or intolerance. You are not weak willed, you are just very carb sensitive.

  4. #94
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Phinney and Volek refer to it as degrees of carbohydrate tolerance or intolerance. You are not weak willed, you are just very carb sensitive.
    Amen to that, amen to that...

    Ugh. I hate being that way though.

  5. #95
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    Functional lifespan is decreasing in America. Our ability to keep sick people alive keeps improving - but our state of health is declining. The curve turned downward in 1998.

    "The average number of healthy years has decreased since 1998. We spend fewer years of our lives without disease, even though we live longer.

    A male 20-year-old in 1998 could expect to live another 45 years without at least one of the leading causes of death: cardiovascular disease, cancer or diabetes. That number fell to 43.8 years in 2006, the loss of more than a year. For young women, expected years of life without serious disease fell from 49.2 years to 48 years over the last decade.

    At the same time, the number of people who report lack of mobility has grown, starting with young adults. Functional mobility was defined as the ability to walk up ten steps, walk a quarter mile, stand or sit for 2 hours, and stand, bend or kneel without using special equipment.

    A male 20-year-old today can expect to spend 5.8 years over the rest of his life without basic mobility, compared to 3.8 years a decade ago an additional two years unable to walk up ten steps or sit for two hours. A female 20-year-old can expect 9.8 years without mobility, compared to 7.3 years a decade ago."
    People live shitty, stressful, sedentary lifestyles. This is news!


    I'm glad you've never been fat and never had a problem processing carbs and sugar. Neither have I! However, I'm not willing to extrapolate my N=1 to the rest of the world, many of whom clearly do have such a problem. (There's this thing called "metabolic flexibility"...)

    Yes, I personally eat a more Perfect Health Diet level of carbs. However, I don't feel it necessary to tell everyone who does better on VLC that they're Doing It Wrong and will inevitably wreck their thyroid/adrenals/whatever, because I don't see evidence that this is the case.

    For instance: intermittent fasting. I'd say that IF counts as carb restriction...for 16-20 of 24 hours, you're eating no carbs at all. Furthermore, your liver doesn't contain enough glycogen to run your brain and blood cells for 16-20 hours, and your body will never let your liver get that low on glycogen anyway...so if you IF (or, even more impressively, ADF), you're going to be undergoing OMG GLUCONEOGENESIS CORTISOL ADRENAL FATIGUE!!!11!!1 for much of the day.

    Yet I don't see legions of Peatarians and Potato Dieters rushing to excoriate Martin Berkhan or IF protocols.

    A few tips:
    1. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it'll work for the rest of the world.
    2. Just because something works for you doesn't mean something else might not work even better.
    3. Therefore, be cautious about getting all evangelistic about your individual dietary protocol.

    I've criticized IF plenty. If you have problems with carbs, you have other issues going on, simple as. Macronutrient balance is essential. Everything works together. If you cannot digest sugar on its own, take it along side a little bit of protein so it's less stressful. Protein pulls blood sugar down. If you balance your nutrients your glucose levels will be stable and long lasting. There is no reason to entirely cut out carbs.
    nihil

  6. #96
    MarissaLinnea's Avatar
    MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I've criticized IF plenty. If you have problems with carbs, you have other issues going on, simple as. Macronutrient balance is essential. Everything works together. If you cannot digest sugar on its own, take it along side a little bit of protein so it's less stressful. Protein pulls blood sugar down. If you balance your nutrients your glucose levels will be stable and long lasting. There is no reason to entirely cut out carbs.
    *facepalm*

    Why can't you accept that for some people, this just doesn't work? Everyone is different, everyone's body reacts differently to different levels of macros. We do not all function the same way with sugar, be it from fruit or otherwise.

  7. #97
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    *facepalm*

    Why can't you accept that for some people, this just doesn't work? Everyone is different, everyone's body reacts differently to different levels of macros. We do not all function the same way with sugar, be it from fruit or otherwise.
    Indeed. Some of us are verifiable fat-burning beasts (I tend to be like that), and others of us are more effective burning sugars. There is not a one-size-fits-all solution.

    Even some people who feel better on carbs still have to be careful because for them, they might go overboard with being able to control intake to a reasonable level. There are just so many aspects to consider.

  8. #98
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,073
    I'm pretty sure that this weekend I proved that I can't be trusted even with the "good carbs."

    I had a few meals that were gluten free but had fair amounts of squash, sweet potatoes, and the like and I STILL felt bloated and lousy afterwards.

    You cannot make a blanket statement that there are certain carbs that are just "good" for everyone.
    I think people do vary, but "carb sensitivity" is not as common as people think. I don't think carbs are bad for anyone, just like fat isn't bad for anyone. I think the carb paranoia on this website is on par with the old fat paranoia.... For the vast, VAST majority, good carbs simply are not an issue

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  9. #99
    J. Stanton's Avatar
    J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    People live shitty, stressful, sedentary lifestyles. This is news!
    Don't move the goalposts. Here's your original quote:

    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Also, no one is "dropping dead". Life expectancy in 1st world countries is quite high. People may be unhealthy, but our life expectancy rate is much higher than it was before.
    I showed that our functional lifespan is currently decreasing, and that the continued increase in life expectancy is therefore due to better health care in the face of deteriorating health.

    Also, it's funny to see you trolling by defining HFCS as "not sugar", with some bizarre pseudoscientific claptrap about "HFCS in studies has been shown to have 500% and upwards of calories because of undigested cornstarch molecules." Citation? I'm pretty sure HFCS can't be more than 100% cornstarch...and I'm also pretty sure the real figure rounds down to 0%.

    <plonk>

    There's apparently something about extreme diets that compels their practitioners to troll. The more prescriptive and restrictive the diet is, the more evangelistic people seem to get about it. Peatarianism is just the latest example of that.

  10. #100
    jakey's Avatar
    jakey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,294
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    The more prescriptive and restrictive the diet is, the more evangelistic people seem to get about it. Peatarianism is just the latest example of that.
    not really into this thread, but i'd love to know your thoughts on ray peat, JS. i think the guy is out where the cows don't roam...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •