Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooray!!!! Hostess Brands closing for good page

Moochy is offline Senior Member

Hooray!!!! Hostess Brands closing for good

Primal Fuel
    One step at a time. This crap should have been gone decades ago.

Link

video
    Last edited by Moochy; 11-16-2012 at 05:32 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Read about it yesterday. So many mixed feelings about that with all those people losing their jobs..But, overall I'm sure we are better off without that junk.

Another win for the unions. 18,500 people lost their jobs because the 5,000 member baker's union went on strike.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    In spite of how bad they are for you, I will always have fond memories of carefully unwrapping my Ho-ho or Ding-Dong, carefully smoothing out the foil, then peeling the chocolate coating away from the cake. Bonus points if you got it all off before you succumbed to taking a bite.

And before they changed their recipe/cooking method, those fried pies were a bite of heaven. The crust breaking off and hanging out of your mouth, and the gooey filling dripping down your chin. Just visceral enjoyment. Not to mention the crazy sugar rush that had me running around for two hours, climbing trees and roller skating.

My dad worked nights, slept days, and would always leave out a snack for us to have when we got home from school, usually a Hostess treat. Bad for me, but a perfect piece of LOVE in my memory. Rest in peace, Hostess.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Another win for the unions. 18,500 people lost their jobs because the 5,000 member baker's union went on strike.
    Exactly, and as the article states, "But even if those brands are bought and restarted, the Hostess workers will not get their jobs back.

'The industry has overcapacity. We're overcapacity. Our rivals are overcapacity," said Rayburn in an interview on CNBC.'"

They are probably wishing they had their dues money back to help suppliment their unemployment checks.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Karock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    They are probably wishing they had their dues money back to help supplement their unemployment checks.
    The normal working folks are probably wishing they weren't forced by their union to tell Hostess they could not do their jobs. Another union win.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Exactly, and as the article states, "But even if those brands are bought and restarted, the Hostess workers will not get their jobs back.

'The industry has overcapacity. We're overcapacity. Our rivals are overcapacity," said Rayburn in an interview on CNBC.'"

They are probably wishing they had their dues money back to help suppliment their unemployment checks.
    Don't get me wrong, unions helped make our country what it is today. However, bully-tactics like striking is really uncalled for today. If there is an actual grievance that you have against your company, I feel like there are 27 dozen lawyers waiting to hear your case.
    Also, if union bosses are paid to negotiate and this clearly was a failure in negotiation, will they also lose their jobs? No, they sure won't.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Facts are there were numerous unions involved. Every union signed off on an agreement with the company which would have allowed them all to go forward. Why the baker's union refused I have no idea. But geez, let's not blame unions when 95% of the one's involved were more than willing to work with the company.

Eh, I chalk this one up to a tobbacco company laying off workers because less people are smoking. Sucks for the people who loose their jobs, but a win for everyone.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    My former 273+ pounds self would be in tears right now at the thought of a life without Twinkies.

Me? I'll miss them, but it's nice to know that they won't be tempting me or worsening people's health anymore.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    *sidesteps the union debate*

Hostess lives on in Canada because the rights to the brand are owned by Saputo. Your Twinkie fix is just a border crossing away.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast