Thread: Healthiest brand of eggs in the UK. page

SpearCarrier is offline Member

Healthiest brand of eggs in the UK.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wondered if anybody knew the best eggs to buy in the UK. I was told to buy organic, or at least free-range.

The thing is, surely free range eggs without the organic label are just as bad as caged hens? They can still be injected with steroids and fed a terrible diet right?

As for organic, well these can also be fed rubbish... such as organic grains or something. Omega 3 eggs are the other option but I have read that these are fed high amounts of rubbish to give them their omega 3, rather than getting it from flax and other sensible foodstuff.

Anyone have the answer? Any brand that you know feed their chickens a suitable diet? I know I maybe overthinking things, but such is my way.

=)

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Waitrose and Sainsburys are pretty good.

I get mine from a farm, its cheaper and you know where they come from and all the chickens are free to roam.

I am sure there will be a farm near you that sells eggs.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Neely is offline Member
    The thing is, surely free range eggs without the organic label are just as bad as caged hens
    No chance. Have you seen the conditions caged hens live in? I'm not an animal rights agendaist but the conditions they are kept in are truly horrendous. Free range chickens at least have the opportunity to roam free and usually eat some natural foods and as a result the quality of the eggs are vastly superior. Get the best you can for example:

1 Local, free range, organic eggs
    2 Local, free range eggs
    3 Free range eggs
    4 Barn eggs
    DON'T EAT EGGS
    5 caged eggs

I get my eggs from the market for the week, 2 packs of 15, local, free range eggs, they don't have organic, if they did I would get those. Though if I come across them from time to time I get them instead. Try to avoid the bigger supermakets like Tesco for eggs and meats if you can, I get all my meats from the market direct from a few local butchers.

SpearCarrier is offline Member
    Will check my local market - thank you.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Agreed - local markets that are expensive regarding other foods usually offer much better value for money for free-range eggs than the major supermarkets. This is also true of otherwise expensive local convenience stores too that stock locally produced free-range eggs direct from the supplier. Don't know whether this applies to most of the UK though, as I happen to live near lots off farming areas.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    My eggs come from about 10 minutes' away by bike, free range, 2.50 for 18.

If I were buying from a shop, I'd go for organic because that guarantees real free range, not just 'we opened the door at the end of a huge shed' free range. And if the hens are genuinely ranging, they'll be eating at least some of their natural diet.

Also - unlike cattle (or us), birds do OK eating grains.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Try independent health food shops, I get 6 local organic for 1.50.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Eggs should not have a brand. Could you find someone within a reasonable distance who is raising chickens & selling the eggs? Sorry I'm in the US, not the UK. I buy mine from backyard hobbyists who supplement with organic feed & charge $3/doz.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearCarrier View Post
    I wondered if anybody knew the best eggs to buy in the UK.
    I can't afford free range organic at present, unless visiting my daughter who keeps organic free range chickens. I buy the free range offerings from Aldi or Lidl.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.