Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Addiction page

Cossycarrick is offline Member

Sugar Addiction

Any tips how to clean up my diet as its almost impossible to break this sugar/wheat addiction??
    Weekends are the hardest and i was thinking of fasting over weekends to avoid the temptation.
    Anyone ever went through this crappy battle?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yes, and it'll be a struggle to overcome. Things do get easier once you cut out the sugar and refined carbs. The cravings won't go away but they'll be more manageable. You should try Whole30.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I second Whole 30. And if you can, go in your pantry and fridge and throw anything with wheat or sugar in the trash. Get rid of it so it isn't there. And then go to the store and by any and all Whole 30 compliant food that sounds or looks good to you. I ate fruit on Whole 30 and find that it does not make me want "bad sugar" more, but I know people have different experiences.

When I did it, I bought my fave meats, veggies, fruits, salted almonds, avocados.... stuff that I really love. If you love steak and a sweet potato and hate say, pork and green beans..... you want to be treating yourself to that steak and sweet potato when eliminating sugar.

The hope is that the cravings for sugar fade AND you are really enjoying your new foods anyway.

Now, just so you know, I did go the Whole 30 days, but since stopping have eaten some sugar and wheat on rare occasion, but it is much less, not a regular thing and gives me a bad headache and does not trigger cravings. So it's a worthwhile experiment to try.

My other FYI- I eliminated wheat first and it was really easy and I was super happy (and overdoing dark chocolate, sweetened coffee and ice cream). Eliminating sugar was WAY worse... and for me, it wasn't cravings or deprivation. It just unleashed a level of anger in me that I never knew was possible. The first two weeks were disturbing to me as someone who never loses it or gets mad.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I failed to beat sugar addiction.

I did Whole 30 with no fruit or nuts, I did strict VLC for 30 days, and I still can't eliminate fruit & occasionally crave sugar. I try to keep it clean, raw honey or fruit, but all and all, I failed to meet my 2012 goal of Savory Life. The only good news is that I do not crave grains, though I eat buckwheat or millet or rice once every few months (but I don't feel about it the way I feel about sugar MUST HAVE IT NOW!).

I find that eating white potato (not sweet) helped a lot with sugar and starch cravings. Carrots and sweet potatoes trigger sweet cravings in me.

I find that what helped me a huge deal was 5HTP.

I recommend taking 5HTP for about 3 or 4 weeks with every meal, and then eliminate all sugar from the diet, including fruit for 2 weeks. Then start a Whole 30. 5HTP was really important in my case, because it really helps with the serotonin depression when I stopped eating sweets. I still get blues, but not black spell when the life is not worth living unless I eat a crab apple off a tree as I walk past it (yes, it was that bad).

Another things that helped me were stopping to drinking coffee (I drunk it black, but it impacted the blood sugar a HUGE deal).

The soothing chewing (I use a wooden pencil) helps with the Pavlov's dog 'need something sweet after a meal to finish it off'.

I am eating fruit now, but hope to psyche myself up for another go at mostly savory life. When I look back at my life, I can only find trying to learn Japanese which felt as hopeless as not eating sugar

Hope these helps!
    Last edited by Leida; 11-16-2012 at 07:34 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Beating sugar is a daily battle for me. I stand in awe of those who eliminate it.

Over the course of... a long time, I have narrowed myself down to only very occasional fruit, half stevia half coconut sugar or raw honey in my coffee, sometimes maple syrup. In most places you can sub in fat for the sweet and it works really well. I craved sugar like nobody's business when I went cold turkey, though. I'm starting to not crave straight-up sugar as much, though I still have cravings for starchy food.

Cossycarrick is offline Member
    Thanks Guys, i thought i was the only one lol. Just gotta do better it seems

jonascarlsson is offline Junior Member
    I recommend that you visit a support group like OA, they have helped alot of my friends who have struggled with sugar addiction.
    Last edited by jonascarlsson; 11-16-2012 at 11:04 PM.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    You have to change your mindset. Don't identify with the part of you that is addicted; identify with the part of you that is hurt by the addiction. Focus on giving your body what it needs, become in tune with yourself, and soon you won't find it difficult to resist bad foods. The best thing about the primal eating plan is that the more you commit, the easier it gets. This makes it very different from other 'diets'--it's something you can do for the rest of your life without feeling deprived. Cookies are about as appetizing to me as styrofoam. Sugar and wheat tempt me about as much as the idea of drinking cyanide. It's all about changing the way you look at things, I think.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You have to change your mindset. Don't identify with the part of you that is addicted; identify with the part of you that is hurt by the addiction. Focus on giving your body what it needs, become in tune with yourself, and soon you won't find it difficult to resist bad foods. The best thing about the primal eating plan is that the more you commit, the easier it gets. This makes it very different from other 'diets'--it's something you can do for the rest of your life without feeling deprived. Cookies are about as appetizing to me as styrofoam. Sugar and wheat tempt me about as much as the idea of drinking cyanide. It's all about changing the way you look at things, I think.
    Did you previously love fruit and conquered this addiction? Or anyone else? I need any strategy, even the craziest one to overcome cravings for fruit. I don't know why, but everything else is like 'no biggie', but not fruit. Whenever I prepare a fruit plate, I go into a horrible self-pity mode and feel so deprived. I tried about 3 times now to stop fruit, and countless times to limit it to a sensible amount (1 fruit a day), but I am not successful. So, any strategy would be helpful! Did anyone try hypnosis for a particular food? Something like "I Can Make you Thin?" approach? I just ordered that book, and going to see if I can try that for every fruit I can think of...
    Last edited by Leida; 11-19-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sugar is an everyday battle for me. Lots of fat and protein at breakfast is the best way for me to combat it. I border on overdoing protein to ensure that I'm not trying to make up for anything with carbs (because eating straight fat is not appealing to me, I can't think of any other way that I could eat more of it).

Fruit has never been an issue for me. If I have it in the house, I'll eat a few pieces a day, sometimes, or just one. Low serotonin is what draws me to sugar, and is probably true for a lot of other people as well. As long as my supplements are on track for mood maintenance, I can manage. Drinking ALWAYS messes this up for me.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast