Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Women IFers -- lets chat about protocols! page 7

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Oh, well, just as I was thinking I am getting used to small suppers, and everything was going so well, I woke up hungry at my favorite 2 am. It went away in ~ 30 min but i was hungry for breakfast. And I felt stuffed before going to bed. I even eat a tablespoon of almond butter as per recommendations just before going to bed, and I was thinking I am overdoing it.

Anyone ever experienced that? Is anyone else having trouble staying asleep?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Oh, well, just as I was thinking I am getting used to small suppers, and everything was going so well, I woke up hungry at my favorite 2 am. It went away in ~ 30 min but i was hungry for breakfast. And I felt stuffed before going to bed. I even eat a tablespoon of almond butter as per recommendations just before going to bed, and I was thinking I am overdoing it.

Anyone ever experienced that? Is anyone else having trouble staying asleep?
    My hunger is truer since I got all the nuts and PUFAs out.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't know why there are two theories around breakfast. I'm not terribly concerned about it, so I haven't thought about it much.

I also find that it's usually two meals plus snack. sometimes one plus snack. It's interesting.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    When you are IFing, do you feel hungry and just power through the hunger, or feel like you don't need food?

I usually eat breakfast around 8-9am, and the last few days I did 16/8, the hour from 8-9:30am are the hardest. I feel hungry. But once that passes, I don't feel hunger anymore, not even when lunch time comes (my husband and I eat together at 12:30pm). I even have energy to do all that I used to do (walk, errands, chores, market, etc), that I couldn't imagine doing without eating breakfast first before. Once I start eating lunch, I have really good appetite. Just wondering what's going on.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    When you are IFing, do you feel hungry and just power through the hunger, or feel like you don't need food?

I usually eat breakfast around 8-9am, and the last few days I did 16/8, the hour from 8-9:30am are the hardest. I feel hungry. But once that passes, I don't feel hunger anymore, not even when lunch time comes (my husband and I eat together at 12:30pm). I even have energy to do all that I used to do (walk, errands, chores, market, etc), that I couldn't imagine doing without eating breakfast first before. Once I start eating lunch, I have really good appetite. Just wondering what's going on.
    This sounds like me. If I can push it off, it passes and I am okay. Once I start eating though, I am hungry

And some days I try harder than others to push it off. I did most of this past week, but today DH is hungry, so we just ate breakfast. I had eggs and salmon. But I have been up since 4am also, so 3 hours already. It was more like 6 or 7am the rest of the week.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    for me, it's a bit of both.

If i feel hungry, I have some tea and some water and see how I feel. That is usually what satisfies me, and then I'm usually not hungry again until the window.

I have woken in the night hungry, so I went to the toilet, had some water, and went back to sleep. I have also woken up in the morning (normal time) hungry, and so I have some water or tea and go about my day. I might also then be hungry or have the feeling of hunger about 3 hrs later (1-2 hrs before the window opens), and I have more tea then.

It is just plain tea -- no honey, no cream or milk, just tea -- or plain water.

And, the frequency of this goes in waves. That is to say that some weeks, I'll desire a lot of food and be hungry at odd times (and thus have to "power through" though it's not very difficult). And other weeks, I have no issue at all and I'm not really that hungry.

FWIW, when looking at my tracking today, I see that I have had several lower cal days in a row, so I was needing a higher cal. day anyways. So that might explain why I wanted breakfast this morning - I really was just plain ole hungry. And since I did eat sooner, as usual when this happens, I will end up with more calories by the end of the day. But I needed it, so it's all good.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I hate to rain on the lady parade in this thread, but I just thought I'd point out that I like zoebird's strategy of having some plain tea or water. A lot of times thirst is confused as hunger and those hunger pains go away once you adequately hydrate yourself.

Learning that has made IFing for me (although I'm a male), MUCH easier. I used to think I was hungry, but if a cup of some sort of non-caloric liquid can eliminate that feeling, you probably really weren't hungry to begin with.

Yal that is what I have to do also to make it pass. I have water going all day long and I try to get 3 cups of green tea in. I usually do one of those oolong but I am out at the moment.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I just don't like IFing on any set schedule or protocol. I have tried the Warrior Diet, the 16/8, the Fast 5, etc. But anything that has me watching a clock to see what time I'm "allowed" to eat, seems to lead to overcompensating with bigger portions when I am "allowed".

What works best for me is just spontaneously skipping meals here and there as the mood strikes me. Like when I look in the fridge and I just feel "meh" about eating or when I am out and there are no good primal options.

I agree. It should be natural and not be forced. It might feel weird to not eat at conventional meal times, and unlearn those lifetime habits, but that's the only part that should feel forced. Typically I eat nothing after dinner and break my fast between 10 and 12. So under normal, natural circumstances, I fast between 16-18 hours. But then again, I might be ravenous at 8pm or wake up hungry some days. If I'm feeding my body primally, it doesn't matter to me what time I eat.

I think some people are forgetting that the I in IF stands for "intermittent". Go with the flow.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast