Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Women IFers -- lets chat about protocols! page 12

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I find it easier to work on one thing at a time. When I decided to try IF, I worked on lengthening the hours between meals, with less concern on the quantity of food (but still primal). I just ate till I feel satiated. Once I've adjusted to that (took a week or so?), i.e. stop craving food or feeling hunger or thinking about food between meals, I'm now working on tweaking what I'm consuming. If I don't eat enough, I binge in the next meal, and end up feeling very imbalanced. Tea only helps when not truly hungry.

The interesting thing is, once I've gotten used to eating in a shorter window, it's much easier to be aware of real hunger and to stop eating when full. I think prior to this, I eat out of habit not out of hunger.

AmyP is offline Member
    Got a question for you... I have been fasting a couple days a week from dinner to dinner, about 20 hrs. I log all calories so I know what I am consuming (eat primal for weight loss and health reasons). I have had some friends that have had a lot of success with an alternate day diet where the low day is less than 500 cal. Yesterday I broke my fast with a 750 cal dinner. Have you seen any differences in weight/fat loss dependent on what you ate after your fast?

I typically see at least a pound drop on the scale after my fast day. Yesterday was a little less but I am chalking that up to inflammation from sore muscles post strength training.. So far fasting seems to be the only way I can drop fat. But I don't want to negate the benefits by eating too much when I break my fast..

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyP View Post
    Got a question for you... I have been fasting a couple days a week from dinner to dinner, about 20 hrs. I log all calories so I know what I am consuming (eat primal for weight loss and health reasons). I have had some friends that have had a lot of success with an alternate day diet where the low day is less than 500 cal. Yesterday I broke my fast with a 750 cal dinner. Have you seen any differences in weight/fat loss dependent on what you ate after your fast?

I typically see at least a pound drop on the scale after my fast day. Yesterday was a little less but I am chalking that up to inflammation from sore muscles post strength training.. So far fasting seems to be the only way I can drop fat. But I don't want to negate the benefits by eating too much when I break my fast..
    Yes. Fasting has your body in ketosis. So if you eat ketogenic foods to break the fast and stay with them, you don't get the "rebound" weight gain. I broke my four day fast with a big steak with butter on top.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    The main problem with IF is it does lower pulse.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Leida, the point of fasting (at least shorter intermittent fasts) is to give your body a chance to burn through the food it is eating. If you are constantly injecting calories into your body, even at a low level, your body says "great, I'll just use this food for energy."
    Whether you eat once, twice, or five times a day, your body will still burn through the food it's eating, assuming calories are consistent. Regardless of meal frequency, the food still has to be digested. Either you consume smaller, more frequent meals and the energy is used immediately, or one big meal, and most of it goes into fat storage, then hopefully used as needed later in the day. Am I missing something?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't know, but I think I am going to pass on the IF. I am a hopeless grazer. At least right now. Maybe it will change.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Whether you eat once, twice, or five times a day, your body will still burn through the food it's eating, assuming calories are consistent. Regardless of meal frequency, the food still has to be digested. Either you consume smaller, more frequent meals and the energy is used immediately, or one big meal, and most of it goes into fat storage, then hopefully used as needed later in the day. Am I missing something?
    Eating 5 times a day makes me think and crave food all the time. I couldn't get through the day without snacking. Some days I find myself grazing all day. I find myself less alert after meals.

Eating twice a day makes me forget about food until it's time next meal, and my mind is clearer. Even that irritability that I used to get when hungry has disappeared. I assume this difference is related to insulin production after meals? I.e. constantly producing insulin in response to eating vs producing insulin twice a day?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    There are lots of ways of fasting, that's why I titled it "protocols."

Personally, ADF doesn't work well for me, but having a 14-16 hr fast daily works really well. It's comfortable, and gives me the desired benefits.

BestBetter: go and research the science for yourself, then decide what you think of it.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    There are lots of ways of fasting, that's why I titled it "protocols."

Personally, ADF doesn't work well for me, but having a 14-16 hr fast daily works really well. It's comfortable, and gives me the desired benefits.

BestBetter: go and research the science for yourself, then decide what you think of it.
    Actually, I've researched IF ad nauseum...between reading all those articles and trying it for myself, I think it's generally a waste of time to do purposefully. Which doesn't mean people shouldn't do it if they want to, or it makes them feel good, I just never experienced any of the so-called benefits myself.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    BestBetter,

I get what you are saying. I agree with you. If it doesn't work for you -- or you don't see/feel/experience any benefits, I agree that there's no reason to bother.

For me, it's the unseen benefits that I'm banking on. The research that I've read demonstrates that ADF and 14/10 or 16/8 IFing greatly reduces various markers of aging/disease (according to that Horizon show and then the research I looked up afterwards).

At this point, the blood work that I want (which you can get at the Crossfit Box in San Fran that Mobility WOD is attached to) isn't available in NZ. If it were, we'd be able to see all kinds of biomarkers for health, longevity, etc. We will be getting some basic bloodwork in the coming weeks (immigration), but otherwise, I am simply banking on the "unseen" benefits.

Unlike my husband, who never did fasted workouts before, I haven't really "seen" any benefits per se -- though I have felt some overall. So, it's worth doing to me.

But I'm not fussed about anyone else doing it or not doing it.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast