Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Women IFers -- lets chat about protocols! page 11

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I can drink tea or water until it pours out of my ears - and I usually drink like that anyway, my cup is always full. It does absolutely nothing to change hunger status for me, because I don't think I ever get dehydrated. As for powering through it, if I had a meeting, that's easy, but if I am locked at my station doing any sort of work, standing there in front of the monitor is not going destruct me for too long. Maybe 10-15 minutes, but certainly not 2-3 hours - the interval between 8 am and 10 am is pretty much impossible for me to cope with at work.

That is exactly why I try to shift low food period for the evening when I am on the move, working out or in the pool/hot tub, or at home.

Unfortunately, I simply cannot fall asleep if I am hungry, or I wake up at 2 am ravenous and lose the last 2 precious hours of sleep, which puts me at ~ 5 hours, which means I will be even more hungry - I always get super-hungry when my "awake" day is extended if I did not get enough sleep....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    I ate at 6pm last night.

Woke up this morning and had two huge glasses of water. Around 9am, my tummy growled. Had more water. Growling has completely stopped. It is 1.20pm, and I have been sipping water the whole time. Not hungry at all.

Learning to understand real hunger signs has taught me a lot. Its amazing how much time we spend eating.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Leida,

I"ll say again. If you are only eating 1200 calories, it's no surprise. Eat more.

I am not eating 1200 calories, the only day I try and that was after over-feeding weekend (I follow the 4 hour body protocol). I ended up with 1550 cals yesterday while planning for 1300....

Right, and if you are still hungry, then eat more.

Trying to keep your calories so low PLUS IFing isn't serving you (and goes against the IF science that is avalable to us, as limited as it is).

My cycle also affects how much I eat. I eat closer to 1700 post ovulation. Before IF, I was 1600-1800 during a normal day.

Effectively, you are hungry becasue you are not eating enough. And, you are not so overweight that you need to starve yourself to get to a healthy weight (in fact, you currently are a healthy weight, even if it's not the weight that you want).

I thought the whole point of IF is to keep calories lower than you normally would eat, because you skip one meal.

No, the point of IF is to eat within a certain window, while eating the normal number of calories that you owuld eat spread across a day during that window.

The fasting itself -- the duration of it -- is what has benefits to the cells and body, but our bodies still need the calories that they need, whether we are eating them all in one meal (warrior diet style) or in three meals in a 5 hr window, or three meals and two snacks in an 8 hr window, etc.

What most people discover is that they adapt and eat fewer calories (in my case, it dropped from 1600-1800 to 1500-1700 -- so a 100 calorie change), but I didn't do any specific caloric restriction. Also, there are some days where I will have 2000 calories (or more) during my normal feeding window. No big deal. I don't restrict calories the next day, I just eat during the feeding window as hungry.
    Last edited by zoebird; 12-04-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I thought the whole point of IF is to keep calories lower than you normally would eat, because you skip one meal.
    Leida, the point of fasting (at least shorter intermittent fasts) is to give your body a chance to burn through the food it is eating. If you are constantly injecting calories into your body, even at a low level, your body says "great, I'll just use this food for energy."

But now imagine, eat a day's worth of calories in one sitting. You aren't hungry at all anymore. Throughout the period of the fast, your body then dips into the stores of fat on your body to provide energy. You lean out on a fast, but hopefully, don't lose too much weight.

As was said, calculate your BMR and eat at LEAST that much and the fasting will be easier.

My BMR is 1230-1300 calories depending on my exact weight on the day, so I don't dip below it. As for eating a day's calories in one sitting and then not being hungry at all during the day, heh, doesn't happen. I can eat huge amount of calories in one day and then still hungry the next day. After my overfeeding day when I take in excess of 2,500 calories (exceeding my maintenance of 1,600 calories), I am still hungry by 8 am next day 4 hours after waking. I think my hunger corresponds with time after waking rather than with time after last meal & the size of it.

All IF protocols I have read about said the point was to reduce hunger and caloric intake by concentrating the feed. It just doesn't happen to me. Like yesterday, I did not eat breakfast, and ended up with more calories, like 1,750 &, of course, regained good 0.7 lbs (Sigh) now I am heavier than last week at the same time, so I doubt I will lose weight this week.

Keeping fingers crossed I can skip supper tonight. I have X-mas lunch at work, then the dentist and then I will take myself to Zumba/pool. Hopefully i will be home after my folks had had supper...
    Last edited by Leida; 12-05-2012 at 05:32 AM.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I'm finding it much easier to IF right after my period. For about 2 weeks, (I guess that's pre-ovulation) my appetite is very much under control and I can do perfectly well with a cup of coffee in the morning and dinner (about 1200-1300 calories) sometime before 7.
    Over the next 2 weeks or so I'm hungrier and usually have to have 2 meals. Still I try to stay within 1500 - 600 calories, but I'm no stranger to overeating at least on a few occasions during pms
    What I'm finding rather curious is that on Primal I'm pretty much the same weight and body composition regardless of macros and calories. I've tried low-carb, even VLC, high-er as in over 100g daily, given it time to see how my body responds.....still I'm the same weight.
    That's okay I guess, since I'm kindof happy with my current weight, but I'd still like to lose a bit more fat. Mostly on my thighs...sigh

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast