Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Women IFers -- lets chat about protocols! page 10

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This thread inspired me to try IF, and I am doing a mish-mash of different things described here. I'm doing the alternate day fasting - alternating days of 500 cal, with regular unweighed, unmeasured primal. On the regular days, I start the day with bulletproof tea and eat my first solid meal around noon.

It's been a full week since I started. I am 5'4", started at 149 lbs after Thanksgiving, and today I am 144lbs. Prior to Thanksgiving, I was hovering at 147lbs. I experienced brain fog and some extreme anger on both Thurs and Fri. I actually took a lunchtime nap on Friday. All issues were fixed immediately upon eating. Yesterday, I felt like I was starving. I started eating the butter that I used to prepare the BPT. Felt hungry after the tea. I fell upon a rotisserie chicken and veggies like a wild beast, and when I was done, i had eaten half a chicken. I then had some rice which I slathered with more butter. Only then did I feel full. Later on, I made some low carb chocolate truffles with avocado, coconut oil and butter. I had about four tablespoons of that, and skipped dinner.

After all that, when I weighed in this morning, I had dropped a pound since Friday. Today, all I've had is some breakfast soup - bone broth, spinach, zucchini, shirataki noodles, shrimp, fish sauce, sriracha and ginger. and I've decided not to force myself to finish it off until I'm really hungry. I also have lunch (frozen steamer veg and a hardboiled egg) in case I get ravenous. But it's 1pm already and I am still full, head is clear, no moodiness. Dinner will be stir fry - mostly vegetables with a bit of beef.

I've been thinking that I should just keep things simple and not mix the BPT with ADF, because I shouldn't be feeling foggy and tired on my "up" days. For now, I'll keep at it, and check in again with this thread in a week.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I will have to try loose leaf. Because I really do not enjoy the taste of just tea (from these bags) but I drink it because I think it is good for me. And it does break up the monotony of water. I do use a slice of lemon once in awhile, but still.

That use to be all mom used. I dont think we had tea bags when I was a kid, ya know, back in the stone ages.

Anyways, I have alot to use up, like 2 boxes each of 5 different kinds (I know this cuz I reorganized my tea cabinet yesterday) but I will get at least one loose leaf to try.

I love that little kettle. Now I know what I need for Christmas
    Yes!

Previously I was getting out a thermometer for my tea water (I've been drinking premium loose tea for years, water temp is really important to brewing!)... to me a set the temp kettle it totally worth it!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    water temp is really important to brewing!
    hmmm that could be part (most?) of my problem. I just do 3 minutes in the nuker
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Yes!

Previously I was getting out a thermometer for my tea water (I've been drinking premium loose tea for years, water temp is really important to brewing!)... to me a set the temp kettle it totally worth it!
    I do find that people who move from tossing boiling water over a tea bag (regardless of tea type) and calling that tea, to doing the same to leaves have already made an improvement.

But then, those who learn proper steeping temperatures and times for various teas seem to have an epiphany. I know I did. It's like "wait a second... That's what this kind of tea is SUPPOSED to taste like?!? Oh wow."

When I learned I was brewing everything all wrong, it was like a revelation that it could actually taste good. And now, a properly brewed cup of tea is heaven.

I've been experimenting with the Chinese "gong-fu" tea steeping method which uses significantly more leaves and far less steeping time (less likely to oversteep the leaves and cause bitterness), but the old western adage of "three grams of tea per cup" works pretty well if you keep to the right steeping times for that method.

I did find fasting to be significantly harder before I discovered tea. Why? Because I would find that I would notice my stomach was empty by about mid day and have to eat something. But when I started drinking tea, fasting became easier because the liquid filled me up and took my mind off of food. If a little dose of caffeine or even just some liquid can take my mind off of food, I probably wasn't that hungry to begin with. When I drink the tea, but my mind is still on food, and my stomach still feels empty, then that's how I know I REALLY need to eat.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Everything is going really well. Yesterday's window was a little bit bigger -- 9 hrs instead of 8 -- because we got home a bit later than normal.

BUT, I was able to go and have dinner with DH while DS was in bed -- and he stayed in bed rather than annoying us. He didn't go to sleep until 9, but we were able to sit and have dinner and read. He'd had dinner much earlier.

Anyway, today I won't open the window until 1 pm anyway, so . . . that should give me from 8 pm - 1 pm or 17 hrs.

That is what is interesting about what I do.

On Sunday, I finished eating at 7 pm, and I then ate again at 11 am -- for 16 hr fast. But, the window was then open until 8 -- which was 9 hrs, then I'll follow up with today at 17 hrs of fasting, and likely finish by 8 again, which means that will be a 7 hr window, and I'll probably eat tomorrow at 11 am, which would be 16 hrs. So, there's a bit of movement.

And, sometimes I opt not to have dinner.

I'll also point out -- and this is for Leida's benefit -- that I do feel hungry sometimes. For example. Finished eating around 8 last night, felt hungry at 10. Went to bed at 10:30 (just opted not to eat). Then, woke at 5:30 this morning (with DS), and was hungry then. Didn't eat.

I think part of this is habitual. Before the IF process -- and the idea of just powering through -- I would normally eat and/or forage at that time. Instead of doing so, I find another occupation -- go back to sleep, get on with the morning activities (plenty to do), or read or some other thing. Whatever doesn't require food.

And, I drink tea. I didn't have my first cup (of peppermint) until 10 am, when I finally got to work (it was a slow morning this morning!). I am hungry now, but I won't eat until 1 pm because I have work now, and then two yoga classes to teach. I'll have water throughout, and then my meal at 1:00 when I finish (more like 1:30 really once it's all said and done).

I will also point out that I eat about 1500-1700 calories per day. Yesterday I had a lot of food -- three eggs in butter plus veggies with olive oil; an apple and an orange and some nuts; fish with thai-style curry sauce, BAS, and a small/medium sweet potato with butter. I would say it was probably closer to the 1700 calorie mark.

I think part of the reason why you are so hungry is that you are not eating enough *during* the window, and then instead of distracting yourself while hungry outside of the window, it doesn't allow you to get to the point where this feels natural.

And it does feel natural and not at all difficult. These days, it's actually rare for me to feel hungry.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Not eating enough makes IF so difficult, and for me inevitably results in overeating when it's time to eat again. Makes 'powering through' miserable. Nowadays I find when I eat more during dinner (not stuffed, but more than just enough), skipping or delaying breakfast becomes near effortless the next morning. Currently experimenting with the optimal amount of food for dinner that helps me last till lunch the next day. It's actually kind of nice just eating 2 meals a day (and not thinking about food or when the next meal is).

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

I did find fasting to be significantly harder before I discovered tea. Why? Because I would find that I would notice my stomach was empty by about mid day and have to eat something. But when I started drinking tea, fasting became easier because the liquid filled me up and took my mind off of food. If a little dose of caffeine or even just some liquid can take my mind off of food, I probably wasn't that hungry to begin with. When I drink the tea, but my mind is still on food, and my stomach still feels empty, then that's how I know I REALLY need to eat.
    It seems that the body feels hungry when it expects food. My mealtimes are very regular-- 8am breakfast, 12:30pm lunch, 6pm dinner for months. Even if I'd eaten a lot at lunch, I would have pangs of hunger by dinner. When I started skipping breakfast, I would feel hunger pangs by around 8-9am. This made adjusting to skipping breakfast a bit of a challenge at first. I had very strong urge to eat something around 9am. But now I see that I was never really hungry because now it's effortless now to skip breakfast provided I had a satiating dinner the previous night. Caffeine does help a lot in removing hunger when not really hungry. I drink bone broth every morning, but it doesn't work as well as tea for alleviating hunger pangs.
    Last edited by girlhk; 12-04-2012 at 02:56 AM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that's it, girlhk.

we do train our bodies on when to eat, which is why i started to look seriously at whether or not i wanted to and/or could train it to a 5 hr window. I think that I can, but right now is not the right time for that, and I'm happy with the current protocol.

that being said, my body is now used to two meals and a light snack per day. Breakfast (at 11, 12, or 1), and dinner (at 5 or 7). And then there's typically a snack, if dinner is later. On my 11 start-time days, I eat a snack at around 2 and then dinner at 5 and I'm done. On days like today when I started at 1, I'll finish by 8, snack was at 5.

it doesn't matter for me whether or not dinner is big or biggest, just that I get enough calories during my window.

At first, too, it was hard to eat enough during the window because I was used to smaller meals more frequently. Now, I'm used to slightly larger meals less frequently. And, snacks are only in the second half of my cycle (from ovulation to menses), generally speaking, so half of the month is two meals, the other half is two meals plus snack (usually the additional 200 cals).

Getting enough calories is important, I understand that now. If I eat less than usual during a meal, I make up for it later, somehow. I'd see something tasty on the kitchen counter and just eat/drink it. But when perfectly satiated, the urge just isn't there.

I'm trying my best not to snack, because once I start snacking, I can't stop at just 1-2 serving sizes (a few nuts becomes a cup, lol). Not sure why this is, maybe from long years with this habit? And overdoing the snack ruins my appetite for dinner. Technically I could skip dinner, but it's together-time with husband and daughter, so...

Every day gets easier than the previous day, I can see how it becomes natural instead of forced.

AmyP is offline Member
    Hi all! I am slightly new to IF, but have been eating paleo for quite a while. Started doing an IF once a week for 20 hours (from dinner to dinner) a couple weeks ago. I am finding that the more I eat the more I want to eat and the less I eat the less I want to eat. And thinking on this makes since for me personally...have had weight issues most of my adult life and can put away a large amount of food! Anyone else experience this?

I have decided this week that I will add in another day of IF of 20 hours. Seems to help me drop some weight and keep it off. Also stayed within paleo foods yesterday, but over did the general amount and feel the need to chill today with the food to get back to normal.

Glad I found this thread!

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast