Thread: Curious about other Primal Workouts page

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member

Curious about other Primal Workouts

Primal Fuel
    I've been living the 80% Primal for a little over a month now and i can see and feel the results. I am leaner, I have burned off fat and have more energy. My only concern right now is size. I know my main focus shoudl be health related but as a former college athlete I still have this feeling of an ideal weight for myself. I emailed Mark and he gave me some solid answers but I wanted to see what others thought.

I workout 4-5 times per week. i usually go to the gym but do P90x on my off gym days. I eat exceptionally well. No processed foods, Antibiotics free/hormone free meat, lots of veggies with a little fruit and yogurt for my protein shakes. I wat between 85-125 carbs per day, 150 g of protein, a big salad with a myriad of veggies and little to no dressing.

At the gym I focus on functional exercises but still do bench, curls, etc. I push myself pretty hard and on some days I cool off with 5-10 laps in the pool. I sprint on Saturdays for about 10-15 minutes then walk 2 miles. Any advice for someone who wants to add 5-10 lbs of lean muscle?

More protein, different workouts?

Again I understand I have done exceptionally well with the PB after only 1 month but I want to take this to the next level.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

No love I see.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    My experience has been, less is more. I used to workout 3x per week doing cardio and 3x per week doing weights. Now, I do 2-3x per week weight training. I get in, lift heavy, focusing mostly on compound movements, and get out in less than an hour. I cut out cardio altogether and focused more on my diet. I do some light walking, and at some point I will add in sprints. By doing this, I have had much better gains in muscle since I allow my body to rest more, rather than continue to beat it up every day. Just my opinion.

Thanks. Makes sense. I pretty much cut out Cardio outside of swimming and sprinting. I guess i need ot focus on more healthy fats and protein.

Mary Pickford

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Remember: You don't build muscles in the gym. You build them during recovery.

As my workout partner repeatedly reminds me, you have to leave your money in the bank if you want it to collect interest.

Also, P90X strikes me as being good for building cardiovascular capacity and muscle endurance, but not size and strength. I'd treat it like a metcon workout done 1-2 times per week. Lift heavy 2 times weekly -- 3 times MAX. Take at least 2 days completely off. 3 is probably better. Move slowly (walk, easy swim, whatever) as much as you like.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    Remember: You don't build muscles in the gym. You build them during recovery.
    Hmmppf - and I who thought they were made in the kitchen! At least I know abs are...
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Suki is offline Senior Member

Much appreciated Suki and everyone else. I probably do workout too much but agian I love to be active and being idle isn't always my best suit. But again I know I need the rest.

Mary Pickford