Thread: Paleo Politics page

Bosnic is offline Senior Member

Paleo Politics

Primal Fuel
    Do you have any political opinions that were brought up, or influenced by paleo?

One I can think of is that some people here are against subsidies to grain agriculture (wheat, corn, etc).

What else?

Paleobird Guest
    The whole GMO labeling debate is more important to me since going Primal.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    One I can think of is that some people here are against subsidies to grain agriculture (wheat, corn, etc).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The turning point for me wasn't PB, but Pink Slime, which for me was before I found Primal. Now anything to do with food production has become a political issue.

I want there to be "sunshine" laws for the food industry. No more hiding behind "Natural Flavors," "Free Range," (which means virtually nothing), and blatant non-labeling like the GMO thing. Even the Organic labeling includes over 250 compounds foods may come into contact with and still be called organic. I want additives like Pink Slime on the freakin' label.

I want Monsanto to pay when the pollen from their GMOs corrupts a small farmer's crop. As it stands, Monsanto sues the farmer (and wins) claiming that their patent on the GMO is being used from the resultant crop. That may be one of the most corrupt things I've learned in my lifetime.

Subsidies for grains suck. Get rid of them, and it becomes cheaper, i.e., more profitable to raise grass fed animals. Yep, I'll feel it in my wallet for awhile, but it will balance out in the future. If we're going to do subsidies, then subsidize organic farmers in equal amounts.

I want five year waiting periods between working in Agribusiness and then working in the various Federal agencies that regulate Agribusiness. This won't solve it, but the revolving door will spin more slowly. IOW, if you're going to allow the fox to watch the henhouse, make the damn fox cool her/his jets for five years.

I remember the day I heard about Pink Slime. I had pretty much stopped thinking about politics after the Supremes decided a certain election some years back. I sat at my computer for days, following link after link about the corruption going on in Agribusiness. It literally changed my life.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

I want Monsanto to pay when the pollen from their GMOs corrupts a small farmer's crop. As it stands, Monsanto sues the farmer (and wins) claiming that their patent on the GMO is being used from the resultant crop. That may be one of the most corrupt things I've learned in my lifetime.
    +1
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

I had a teacher in High School who introduced me to Rush (the rock group, not the blowhard) and Ayn Rand and I have been pretty libertarian since then. I think it is more of the case that my politics allowed me to have an open mind towards paleo/primal than paleo/primal affecting my politics. I do have a keener interest in the food related aspects of politics now, but my general philosophy hasn't really changed.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So how do you propose we as a people change this? I very much agree with you and it makes me very angry at how corrupt the people who provide our food supply are. But how do we change it?

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The turning point for me wasn't PB, but Pink Slime, which for me was before I found Primal. Now anything to do with food production has become a political issue.

I want there to be "sunshine" laws for the food industry. No more hiding behind "Natural Flavors," "Free Range," (which means virtually nothing), and blatant non-labeling like the GMO thing. Even the Organic labeling includes over 250 compounds foods may come into contact with and still be called organic. I want additives like Pink Slime on the freakin' label.

Subsidies for grains suck. Get rid of them, and it becomes cheaper, i.e., more profitable to raise grass fed animals. Yep, I'll feel it in my wallet for awhile, but it will balance out in the future. If we're going to do subsidies, then subsidize organic farmers in equal amounts.

I want five year waiting periods between working in Agribusiness and then working in the various Federal agencies that regulate Agribusiness. This won't solve it, but the revolving door will spin more slowly. IOW, if you're going to allow the fox to watch the henhouse, make the damn fox cool her/his jets for five years.

I remember the day I heard about Pink Slime. I had pretty much stopped thinking about politics after the Supremes decided a certain election some years back. I sat at my computer for days, following link after link about the corruption going on in Agribusiness. It literally changed my life.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs